Feedback on new Discover Now

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
jbahlman@gmail.com

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by jbahlman@gmail.com » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:36 am

dialitup wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:03 am
I don't even get the red dot when I select a showtime to record - the screen flashes briefly, but no red dot So, the next attempt was to record a series, and that's when record series window pops up with padding and series options. As soon as I try to move the highlighted field with the shield remote, the focus of the selection changes to the background window, even though the record series window is still on the screen.
Same thing happens to me on the Shield. I can change the first option to pad beginning, but then it goes behind and there is no way to get it back.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:47 pm

For the record I am also a stubborn WMC user BUT I want cover art and I think it's a great idea to keep it. In WMC when I want to record a movie I use the movies guide, which consists of nothing but covers to find it. I also know that I'll only be watching TV on a few channels so maybe having the ability to exclude certain channels or to only include certain channels would help. But keep the cover art because to me at least, it makes the UI feel more comfortable and inviting.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Individual recordings should work now. Padding still work in progress.

theraapster
Device ID: 1313477B,1072BF49

Post by theraapster » Tue May 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Really liking the new Discover window and the clock. Some feedback on what I've found so far, all on an Nvidia Shield with Harmony Elite remote:
  • After selecting a show from the recorded screen, the most recent episode is not selected until I hit the down arrow. Not a big deal, but it is an extra button press.
  • After watching a recorded show, when it ends or when hitting back, that episode is not selected on the show list page.
  • After deleting all the episodes of a recorded show, when going back to the recorded show list, that show still shows up in the list until you go back to the recorded window a second time.
  • From the discover now page, I can select a show and it appears the top episode is selected, but I don't get the usual green bar. When I click down, the second episode in the list gets the green bar.
  • From the discover now page, I can select a show but i'm not able to select a currently running episode and go to that channel. Select doesn't seem to do anything at all.
  • Continuing from the previous bullet, selecting any currently airing episode doesn't appear to do anything (I would expect it to tune the channel).

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Tue May 07, 2019 7:13 pm

theraapster wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Really liking the new Discover window and the clock. Some feedback on what I've found so far, all on an Nvidia Shield with Harmony Elite remote:
  • After selecting a show from the recorded screen, the most recent episode is not selected until I hit the down arrow. Not a big deal, but it is an extra button press.
  • After watching a recorded show, when it ends or when hitting back, that episode is not selected on the show list page.
  • After deleting all the episodes of a recorded show, when going back to the recorded show list, that show still shows up in the list until you go back to the recorded window a second time.
  • From the discover now page, I can select a show and it appears the top episode is selected, but I don't get the usual green bar. When I click down, the second episode in the list gets the green bar.
  • From the discover now page, I can select a show but i'm not able to select a currently running episode and go to that channel. Select doesn't seem to do anything at all.
  • Continuing from the previous bullet, selecting any currently airing episode doesn't appear to do anything (I would expect it to tune the channel).
The few focus points (1, 2, 4) are noted. Need to add them to the list.

The last two points are actually expected behavior. At the moment, selecting any specific episode initiates recording rules for that episode. There's a Watch Now button for watching the currently playing episode. What selecting the episode should do is put a red dot next to it, indicating you want to record it.

3 is a bug I thought we'd mostly fixed. Can you double check it? If that's still happening, we've got a bit more work to do.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp » Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 pm

nateb wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 pm
Individual recordings should work now. Padding still work in progress.
@nateb
Glad that single recordings now work. Thank you.

But the way padding works in the new UI isn't going to work for NFL football season. Many games go longer than 30 minutes over the 3 hour allotted broadcast time; this also causes shows that air after the game to be more than 30 minutes late. Also manual padding is very helpful. If the show that I want to record on a Sunday after a game is delayed by 17 minutes I'd like to set the end padding to 17 minutes; the only close options now are 15 min or 30 min padding.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 am

grumpygramp wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 pm
Many games go longer than 30 minutes over the 3 hour allotted broadcast time; this also causes shows that air after the game to be more than 30 minutes late. Also manual padding is very helpful. If the show that I want to record on a Sunday after a game is delayed by 17 minutes I'd like to set the end padding to 17 minutes; the only close options now are 15 min or 30 min padding.
Hm. Could have sworn we expanded padding to an hour for exactly this reason.

I'll see what we can do about both of these. Should be very easy to add an hour. Adding manual padding may be trickier.

dialitup

Post by dialitup » Wed May 08, 2019 7:01 pm

The cursor focus issue on Sony TV and Shield is still a problem for me. It works for a moment, but if I click around at all, it loses focus again. Also, clicking on a show after I select from the Discover menu for a single recording doesn't set the recording either

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 pm

dialitup wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:01 pm
The cursor focus issue on Sony TV and Shield is still a problem for me. It works for a moment, but if I click around at all, it loses focus again. Also, clicking on a show after I select from the Discover menu for a single recording doesn't set the recording either
That last one was fixed roughly yesterday. Could you double check it?

theraapster

Post by theraapster » Thu May 09, 2019 12:14 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:13 pm
theraapster wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:16 pm

The last two points are actually expected behavior. At the moment, selecting any specific episode initiates recording rules for that episode. There's a Watch Now button for watching the currently playing episode. What selecting the episode should do is put a red dot next to it, indicating you want to record it.

3 is a bug I thought we'd mostly fixed. Can you double check it? If that's still happening, we've got a bit more work to do.
nateb wrote:
Sorry, I'm struggling to keep up with what's been reported.
nateb wrote:
Ahh - this functionality makes sense, but is not working for me. I do not get a red dot and the episode does not start recording. Selecting Watch Now does work and takes me to a live channel.
nateb wrote:
Just confirmed this is still an issue for me today.

theraapster

Post by theraapster » Fri May 10, 2019 1:09 pm

theraapster wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:14 pm
nateb wrote:
Just confirmed this is still an issue for me today.
Just noticed that deleting the last episode without watching it seems to clean up that show from the Recorded screen. If I watch it all the way through and then delete the last episode, it doesn't clean out the show from the Recorded screen.

dialitup

Post by dialitup » Sat May 11, 2019 3:55 am

nateb wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 pm
dialitup wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:01 pm
That last one was fixed roughly yesterday. Could you double check it?
Sorry, still not fixed for me

dialitup

Post by dialitup » Wed May 29, 2019 3:38 am

From what I can tell, all the issues around this are fixed, but one: when I find a show via discover now, the red dot never shows up after clicking and episode to record just that one episode. The only way to record is to record a series. This is on the Shield and Sony Android TVs.

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 am

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm
Thunderthud wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Has anyone from SD ever indicated just what they have against using a grid guide?
The short answer is that grid guide does everything... but it does everything poorly . . . Who cares if the show is on CBS or ABC? . . . I do agree that episode data could be pretty nice to list somewhere in the Discover screen . . . a grid guide is a sub-par system for basically everything it tries to do.
I agree, I just came across this new feature today and I think it's better than a guide. Think channel information "would be nice" but functionally irrelevant

FWIW Would like to see a 'news' category :D (If it never happens, that's cool, I can just search for it)