Feedback on new Discover Now

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by DebbieFL33 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Again I’d like to reiterate the need for airtime when using new UI for scheduling:

As we can only watch Live DRM...I can find a date for future watching but no time. Therefore with new UI I have to leave SD program and find the times via outside methods to set up a reminder/calendar to watch the DRM channel.

Also, when will we be able to setup recordings with appropriate start/end times?

Additionally, it’s a PITA to have to keep killing the production app, then reload the new...kill the new app, then reload the old. I currently have to use two different devices...one with “old”, one with “new.

Jpsd1

Post by Jpsd1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Post by DebbieFL33 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:23 pm
While my preference to see Discover Movies in Date/Time order (of first airing)...I agree with @NYPlayer, the deletion of the airing “Time” on the detail airings page makes the new UI Discover almost useless.
I agree with Debbie as I always record movies outside of prime time to ensure I don't run out of available tuners. The decision to remove the start time in discover has effectively taken that option away. Not sure if I can understand why SD assumed no one cared about when the content aired?
Post by DebbieFL33 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 pm
As a further note...is there anyway you can add keeping the last search term on Discovery...now I have to keep re-inputting channel number everytime I return from the drop down to the detail page.
This is a problem throughout the beta UI. Rather than returning to where you were before entering a drop down menu, you are now taken back to the top of the detail page. This is something that needs to be fixed as soon as possible since it was not a problem in the old UI.
by nateb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:44 am
I'm genuinely interested in how you can say channel order is logical. Right now, channel order in the US is based on one of two things: human created groupings (for cable networks), where randomly humans arbitrarily decided that certain channels are similar and grouped them, and then further arbitrarily decided where in the many hundreds of channels those groups should go. Or, in the case of Over the Air, contractual agreements, where network channels were placed where they could buy some space from the federal government or in the case of sub-channels where they could convince the local operator to distribute their content. Neither of these scenarios would provide a logical rule to describe which channel should always be first, which should always be second, etc. I think you may be confusing static and predictable with non-arbitrary.

The Discovery guide is literally the opposite of this. Rather than having some human randomly decide which shows go where, show ordering is based on an algorithm that will always order shows exactly the same way, based on the set of factors those shows provide. It is not static, but that is because the factors in the algorithm are designed around discovery, and an algorithm that tried to get a person to discover the same old shows over time isn't very good at discovering new shows. Similarly, an algorithm that highlights shows unworthy of discovery (like the paid programming from last post) is doing a very, very bad job.

I gather than you want to channel surf, but as Nick says, we already have a different section for that that's designed pretty specifically for channel surfing. That's not the point of Discover.
Well said Nate. You guys have made some real progress in improving the UI. Clearly some folks will never give up on their desire for a UI they recognize. After working with the current UI for 3 years I can honestly say I have found a way to make it work for me. This isn't the first time I have had to adjust to new software and it certainly won't be the last. The UI will never be perfect for everyone or an exact clone of WMC or any other software. We all have different viewing needs and it appears that SD is trying to meet as many of those needs as they possibly can.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:26 pm

DebbieFL33 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:49 pm
Again I’d like to reiterate the need for airtime when using new UI for scheduling:
This is getting bump up pretty high on the list of fixes.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:31 pm

DebbieFL33 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 pm

As a further note...is there anyway you can add keeping the last search term on Discovery...now I have to keep re-inputting channel number everytime I return from the drop down to the detail page.
This is a good idea. Let's see what we can do.

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:10 pm

nickk wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:24 am
New feature for channel centric usage...

In Discover you can now search for a channel number to see shows on that channel. You can optionally add additional search terms after the channel number.

For example:
Searching for "6.1" will return all shows on that channel in the next two weeks.
Searching for "6.1 food" will return all shows containing the search term "food" on channel 6.1 in the next two weeks.

This feature just went live.

Nick
I know I said I was done, but I wanted to say that this is a very welcome feature.

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:15 pm

nickk wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:54 pm
bruiserker wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:35 pm
As I have said previously this is about a person who channel surfs vs. a person who program surfs. You guys obviously look down on or just don't give a chuckle about channel surfers.
The Live TV view is channel centric for channel surfing. The Discover view is for discovering new programs you maybe haven't heard of before.

We understand that not everyone will find Discover useful - that is ok as long as some customers find it useful.

For channel surfers we provide a fast channel change time and we present guide in such a way that you can see what is on other channels without interrupting viewing.

Nick
That's good for the immediate viewing, but not very good long term. It also has issues when scrolling quickly, in which it can't keep up and I have to wait for it to load.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:28 pm

nateb wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:26 pm
DebbieFL33 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:49 pm
This is getting bump up pretty high on the list of fixes.
An initial push of this should be available now. May be some limit depending on platform.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Love that we can search by channel now; thanks for the new feature.

Unfortunately when you select something to be recorded in the new UI it still doesn't stick and you have to select it in the old UI for it to actually stay selected. Any idea when this will be fixed?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Specifically this change is to Discover - Episodes - Airdate which now includes the time so you can distinguish between multiple airings on the same day.

Nick

DebbieFL33

Post by DebbieFL33 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:59 pm

@nickk and @nateb

Airtime is working on iOS UI.

Thank you for the quick add. :D

Jpsd1

Post by Jpsd1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

@nickk and @nateb

Airtime is working on Win10 Beta UI.

Thanks, really appreciate the quick fix based on user input.

dialitup

Post by dialitup » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:12 pm

I apologize if this is already on the radar, but when I try to set a recording from the Discover Now tab, the UI takes me to a list of airtimes. When I select one of the showings, the "padding" window pops up. If I click or move the slexted field, it looses focus on the padding record screen and focus goes back to the previous screen. Has this already been reported?

Nvidia Shield with Shield remote.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:29 pm

dialitup wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:12 pm
I apologize if this is already on the radar, but when I try to set a recording from the Discover Now tab, the UI takes me to a list of airtimes. When I select one of the showings, the "padding" window pops up. If I click or move the slexted field, it looses focus on the padding record screen and focus goes back to the previous screen. Has this already been reported?

Nvidia Shield with Shield remote.
I may need more info. The padding screen is not supposed to pop up unless you select "Record Series." If you select a single episode to record, you should just get a red dot. Could you walk through the process a bit more?

DebbieFL33

Post by DebbieFL33 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:18 pm

@nateb

On iOS new ui, if you select a single show from the detail list of airings, in addition to the red dot, the padding start & end times will appear.

But as has been reported in this and another thread...the recording task isn’t created.

dialitup

Post by dialitup » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:03 am

I don't even get the red dot when I select a showtime to record - the screen flashes briefly, but no red dot So, the next attempt was to record a series, and that's when record series window pops up with padding and series options. As soon as I try to move the highlighted field with the shield remote, the focus of the selection changes to the background window, even though the record series window is still on the screen.