UI Beta Release - Click for Instructions (and warnings)

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: UI Beta Release - Click for Instructions (and warnings)

Post by nateb » Fri May 10, 2019 5:46 pm

stealthrt wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm
Seriously, come on guys. :roll:
I could have sworn that we already established what you are looking for is not possible. We cannot break out the Win10 app the way you want.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri May 10, 2019 5:57 pm

mnwarren wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm

One bit of feedback that's bothered me for a while with the HDHR app on OSX is that adjusting the volume in the app seems to adjust the system volume entirely, not just the volume of the app.

Muting also seems to reduce the system volume to zero, rather than just muting the sound of the app.

Is there any way to change this functionality? I use the app on my desktop and it would be nice to be able to mute the HDHR app sound, while still being able to hear other things on my system. Right now I have to quit the HDHR app entirely.
Click Preferences on the Mac bar. Unclick Control Master Volume. Or if you have the beta UI enabled, click the Gear in Record/Discover and turn "Control Master volume" to off.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm

I see the new UI has been updated again but now I can't seem to delete a recorded show with a mouse in W10. I can with a keyboard. Did I miss something?

mnwarren

Post by mnwarren » Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 pm

nateb wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Click Preferences on the Mac bar. Unclick Control Master Volume. Or if you have the beta UI enabled, click the Gear in Record/Discover and turn "Control Master volume" to off.
Aha, right in front of my face. Thanks!

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:41 pm

IS THIS NEW UI GONNA HAVE A "LAST CHANNEL" BUTTON,ICON BECAUSE JUST ME GOING UP AND DOWN FOR A YEAR HAVES MESSED UP MY SHIELD CONTROL BUTTONS NOT HAVING A LAST CHANNEL IS KILLING THE LIFE OF ANY CONTROL YOU USE WITH HDHOMERUN APP

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 pm

Beerman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm
I see the new UI has been updated again but now I can't seem to delete a recorded show with a mouse in W10. I can with a keyboard. Did I miss something?
No, just a bug that popped up while fixing another, larger issue. Should be fixed next week.

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Fri May 10, 2019 11:21 pm

A common use case for me on Dish Network was to record a new movie of the week at a certain time on a certain channel. I don't know the name of the movie because it is different each week but I know the time slot and channel. That was virtually impossible to do in the old interface. Does the new interface have improvements or plans to improve for that scenario?

On the Dish DVR the workflow generally went like this.
- Pull up the guide
- change to the channel
- scroll to the daily timeslot, say 8pm
- then 24 hr skip until you reach Saturday or whenever
- Hit record
- confirm recording settings

Usually it could be done in a dozen or so button presses depending on how far ahead you were setting the timer.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh » Sat May 11, 2019 1:56 am

I'm new to the HDhomerun, but one of my big hopes with a new UI (other than a grid-type schedule) was that only my starred channels would be shown in the channel area on the right of the screen. Oh yeah, I'm using the NVIDIA Shield...I could use the Live Channels app, but not too fond of the way that works, either.

Are you ever going to do either of those? A grid-type schedule and/or only display the channels that I've indicated I care about by starring them? I have 47 channels, but I only use 8 of them. So showing the other 39 channels is a waste of space and my time going through all the intervening channels that I don't care about...5 times more channels that the ones that I do use.

I'm thinking at the moment that the Tablo may well be more to my liking. It does both of these, produces a TV schedule in grid format only containing the channels that I use.

Thanks.

Update: Just figured out how to get to "favorites only". All I have to do is mark the 39 channels that I don't want as disabled (an onerous process), and there you go. Now all I need is a grid-style schedule so that I can see at a glance what's on all the channels for the next 2 or 3 hours without having to go down the channel list and click on each one several times.

RangerZ

Post by RangerZ » Sat May 11, 2019 5:40 am

Are these features available in the latest software downloads for us staunch Windows 7 users?

Please keep post 1 updated with "latest release" info and links as appropriate.

Finally, if not in the product now, please consider a function for "users" who can then choose their personal channel lineups from the set of channels set up in config. I may get 600 channels, but really don't want to see them all and may not want to see what other family members do.

stealthrt

Post by stealthrt » Sat May 11, 2019 7:12 am

nateb wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:46 pm
stealthrt wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm
Seriously, come on guys. :roll:
I could have sworn that we already established what you are looking for is not possible. We cannot break out the Win10 app the way you want.
Hey Nate. If memory serves me right I believe that the last I spoke to nick (or maybe you?) on the phone we decided to look into the UWP app communicating with an “outside” app via a web service-that service being WCF. I have found a few articals from users and Microsoft describing how you can implement that service in the UWP app.

This is just one example of how to do a service: https://stackoverflow.com/q/43182643/277480

bspvette86

Post by bspvette86 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 am

Long time user of SiliconDust products (mostly with Windows Media Center), but I've been away from the forums lately. With the end of WMC looming, I've been playing with "The App" 20190305 more lately including the latest UI Beta. Still not feeling the love, and have recently started getting many hangs and dead end menu paths since enabling the UI Beta on my Shield. I also have issues watching most DRM channels now. (same channels work on Windows Media Center) And when are we going to be able to record and play back DRM channels on the shield? <edit> Just turned off the new UI on my shield, and the DRM channels started playing again. </edit>

FYI, Family really dislikes not having a proper Grid channel lineup. The sideview, no matter how many times we are told is better, just doesn't cut it. Having to scroll through every channel to view what is coming up in the next hour or two is a royal pain compared to viewing a page of channels at a time.

Regards,
Karl

Currently using the following tuners:
Prime1313FFB2
Duo 106167BE
Last edited by bspvette86 on Sat May 11, 2019 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:06 am

Wow, the lag of the Xbox app with the new features on is absolutely off the charts. Just dreadful. And for a Favorites menu that still doesn't work and doesn't tell me which channel is which? Yeah, pass. Maybe I'll look at it again when the Prime 6 ships.

(Which is to say, it's unlikely I'll be looking at it again.)

schabelf

Post by schabelf » Sat May 11, 2019 11:18 am

I have tried the new UI. I like some of the changes but their are problems. Like another user reported I have the super fast unusable scroll of the ribbon with the mouse. When you use discover and search for a station there is no obvious organization of the programs listed. they are not alphabetical or chronological which would be the most useful. The interface desperately needs a back button. If you search for a channel and click on a program there is no way to go back to the search. In my system when you click on a program the listing of the available channels shows up and the program description, but many times the description is cut short. A smaller font is needed. When you use the ribbon and the arrow to go forward on a channel there are sometimes problems with the program recognizing and responding to a click on the arrow. Sometimes the next program is displayed but sometimes the current program that is playing is displayed. Sometimes the arrows jumps ahead two or more programs and/or displays the title of the next program in the list whose icon has not displayed yet. The Left arrow will not take you back through the list of programs but only all the way back to the current program. I don't know if this is by intent or not.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Sat May 11, 2019 12:38 pm

schabelf wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:18 am
I have tried the new UI. I like some of the changes but their are problems. Like another user reported I have the super fast unusable scroll of the ribbon with the mouse.
Just to double check. Are you using windows 10 with a mouse? I'm using a scroll wheel right now to go up and down the guide, and I'm not seeing the super fast thing. I wonder how we can replicate this.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat May 11, 2019 1:07 pm

clemon79 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:06 am
Wow, the lag of the Xbox app with the new features on is absolutely off the charts. Just dreadful. And for a Favorites menu that still doesn't work and doesn't tell me which channel is which? Yeah, pass. Maybe I'll look at it again when the Prime 6 ships.
Hi,

Happy to help...

Lag on XBox - which UI screen are you seeing lag on?

I am not sure what you mean by favorites menu - can you please elaborate.

Nick