UI Beta Release - Click for Instructions (and warnings)

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
rmansava

Re: UI Beta Release - Click for Instructions (and warnings)

Post by rmansava » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:51 am

Can we pick the background color in the text areas? Black would still offer higher contrast, than the green.

I used to be able to delete a ton of shows quickly using the remote. After delete can you highlight the next episode. Then I can arrow over and hit delete in rapid succession. (right arrow, enter, right arrow, enter) and I can get rid of recordings pretty quick.

Eliminate the gap between show information and the recorded episode grid, there's about one row of empty space that could have room for another episode.

Pause tv, can the clock show there?

steve1214

Re: UI Beta Release

Post by steve1214 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 pm

nateb wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:42 am
msuckow wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 am
jbahlman@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm
6. While watching live tv, i can't just click the select button to pause anymore.
The Beta app on Win10 is breaking several of the buttons on the remote. Specically, the following no longer respond:

• Play
  • Stop
  • Pause
  • Forward 10s
  • Backwards 10s.
Interestingly, the forward/backward 10 minutes buttons still works.

If I switch back to the old UI, all the buttons work again.
Could you tell me which remote you are using? I'm not sure if I was aware there is a win10 remote.
In my case im using a logitech harmony elite which simply leverages the xbox one controller buttons that correspond to these functions.

msuckow

Re: UI Beta Release

Post by msuckow » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:55 pm

nateb wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:42 am
msuckow wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 am
jbahlman@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm
6. While watching live tv, i can't just click the select button to pause anymore.
The Beta app on Win10 is breaking several of the buttons on the remote. Specically, the following no longer respond:

• Play
  • Stop
  • Pause
  • Forward 10s
  • Backwards 10s.
Interestingly, the forward/backward 10 minutes buttons still works.

If I switch back to the old UI, all the buttons work again.
Could you tell me which remote you are using? I'm not sure if I was aware there is a win10 remote.
I did not mean to imply that it was a win10 remote, It is a third-party remote designed for WMC. When I switched over to the HDHomeRun DVR, the controls continued to work, presumably because the app implemented the standard buttons. Until the beta, that is.

I'll have to verify the brand when I get home.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Oh, so it sounds like the remotes are all sending MCE commands. Sounds good. I think we can work with that.

patman

Post by patman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm

JeffRand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:42 pm
Ray2357 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:27 pm
Running Win 10 app client.
When entering a channel number, it goes to the number and then goes back two channels. I.E. entering channel 264 ends up on 262.
Yep does that for me too.
Same issue here.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:32 pm

nateb wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:21 pm
Oh, so it sounds like the remotes are all sending MCE commands. Sounds good. I think we can work with that.
When you hit the okay button on the remote the first time, the green highlight is on the FF icon instead of pause. So when you hit it again to pause, it ff's instead!

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:14 am

Nice updates. Was travelling so got my first play with it this morning.

Liking
- Clock
- ability to start into recordings first
- gear icon on android to get to app settings
- side scrolling 'Discover Now'

Not a big fan of the big font size though.. But wifey likes it.. so has to stay I suppose :(
See a few issues and will open topics for each one I see if it's not already captured somewhere.

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am

Small issues (similar calls out elsewhere, but maybe just small nuanced differences)
  • UP and DOWN on shield remote no longer +/-10min and default now to up/down the channel slice list
  • Select/OK on the remote flashes up the menu/slice overlay but does nothing. Used to pause.
  • Tasks list doesn't have same shadow as other grids
  • Hover vs Select of the different Discover Menu options are same color - would be nice if they weren't when using a remote
  • Android TV - when I start in recordings.. the default selection is nothing.. have to hit right to get to Live..
  • Animation issues where moving pulled out slice to next channel and back again causes the full slice to appear but strangely (the animation that is strange) collapse down to just current program. I suspect it's a caching/refresh issue - but something to look at.

otaku

Post by otaku » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Oops...

Watch Now in Discovery is MIA as of today.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm

In the recorded section I can navigate down from All Recordings to Shows but it won't let me go down past Shows to Movies.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:43 pm

otaku wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:25 pm
Oops...

Watch Now in Discovery is MIA as of today.
What platform are you on?

otaku

Post by otaku » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Android / Shield

LeeTheTree

Post by LeeTheTree » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Windows 10
HD Homerun DVR 20190205 1.1.272.0
We use a Logitech Harmony remote configured to emulate IR control of WMC and a wireless keyboard/mouse.

I received the update automatically, I like the clock and the look. I miss the smaller texts as I could see more info on a single page, but its not significant. I like the way selecting a new recording uses the popup to prompt for the additional settings of start before...etc.
Looking forward to being able to set a manual recording based on time/date/duration.

In the following, CAPITOL letters indicate the button pushed on the remote control...
Generally:
EXIT operates like a BACK or RETURN function usually does.
RETURN does nothing
UP/DN/LT/RT SELECT is general screen navigation. Gotta use the keyboard for entering text in a search line.

When playing back a recording:
STOP calls up a menu in the upper left corner with volume level, rew, pause, ffwd, but does not stop playback.
Using LEFT/RIGHT and SELECT will navigate to and activate these functions, or using the computer mouse.
In order to stop playback, I now must use EXIT or grab the keyboard etc.
FFWD/REWIND as well as UP/DOWN gives +/- 10min jumps
LEFT/RIGHT gives +/- 10sec jumps
PLAY/PAUSE gives play/pause
MUTE works as expected.
SELECT does nothing...in fact most of the IR remote buttons do nothing.

However, when watching live broadcasts:
MUTE causes the channel selection popup on the right side of the screen to appear with the words VOLUMEMUTE entered into the search window!
EXIT will clear the popup. The audio does mute on the PC output and will unmute if pressed again, but the popup channel selection menu on the right side accompanies it. So, if watching TV, and you hit MUTE, you will always have to follow it with EXIT to clear the screen. This is also true when using the mute button on the microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse.
Entering a channel manually has never worked for us as the DASH button is recognized as an asterisk.

Keep up the good work and I hope this helps with narrowing down bugs.
Contact me if I can clarify anything.
If you have a fix or an alternate IR command set I can try on the Logitech, let me know.
Thanks

themusj

Post by themusj » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Windows 10-64bit. I get the following error when I choose the new UI. Going back it works fine as normal. I have also restarted the app wit the setting and same results.

"Using platform api
Error while trying to discover devices: SyntaxError: JSON.parse Error: Invalid character at position: 1"

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:13 am

I'm running the app on a Shield.

Using the new UI, when I'm on the page to record a particular program, the "recording start" and "recording end" fields don't update when I set them. Also, I don't like the limited choices though admittedly it's easier than typing a number in. I have channels in my area where programs start 2 minutes early and others that start 3 minutes early, but there's no way to set the 3 minutes early. I have to choose either 2 minutes and risk losing the start of the program, or 5 minutes which is too much.

Also if I scroll up from the time listing of the programs, the selection jumps to the "channel title episode airdate" line, which has no purpose. If I then scroll up again, it goes all the way up to the "live recorded discover tasks" line. To get to the "delete tasks" line I have to use the scroll right button, scrolling down just skips over it.

On the live broadcast page, the programs I have set to record in the scrolling guide do not have a red dot on them like they did before.

If I use the new UI on one of my devices, do I have to set it on all the rest? Right now I've only set it on one out of 4 that I have.