UI Beta Release - Click for Instructions (and warnings)

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: UI Beta Release

Post by nateb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:00 pm

mchias13 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:44 pm
The UI beta is simply how the app shows the UI. It is not the app itself.
So this is a visual demo only?

Should we report issues?
DEFINITELY report issues. And no, it's not a demo. Once we've rooted out any issues in this UI, it will become the UI for all users.

HDHomeRun apps are a little different in that we are able to update the UI on the fly, without needing to issue app updates. It's actually part of the point of the new UI. This will allow faster fixes in sometimes near real time with potentially new features at a similar speed. The only time you'd need to update the app itself is for under the hood issues, like video player screwing up in iOS 12.2.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:58 pm

marks wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:01 pm
The new UI looks good, I like the search ability in the Recorded shows tab.

1.One slight issue is when I am in Live TV and I scroll the channel to the right with my mouse it is like "turbo mouse" :) and scrolls the channels very fast.

p.s.the above was on Windows 10 on my laptop

2.I noticed from the Live channel feature when I click on a different channel that the description of the channel at the bottom of the screen is not getting updated. When I press pause and play then it seems to update to reflect the current show; however, when I click on the description to get more detailed info on the show it displays a description from a DVR recorded show I was playing before instead of the current show.

3.When I go to Discover tab and select a show and click on Watch Now, instead of the selected show playing in Live TV, the original show I was watching before still plays. However, if I then scroll the list of channels to the right, then the selected Watch Now (from Discover) show plays.
(I hope I explained that clear enough since it is hard to put in words :) )
I can re-create 3. Will put it in the list.

Will also note 2.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:40 pm

The new UI text is much easier to read. Thanks for that.

I discovered a repeatable problem on my Shield. When watching live TV press the up or down button on the remote to pop out the guide, then use the left button on the remote to scroll through the status bar icons and the program name. Everything works fine until I get to the pause icon. Once the pause icon is highlighted it gets stuck there and I can't navigate off of it.

jbahlman@gmail.com

Post by jbahlman@gmail.com » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm

A couple of things i have noticed. I am running it on a shield.

1. When i am watching a dvr'd show, i have to click 3 times for it to pause instead of once. (1 time brings up the bar, 2 turns the pause spot green, and 3 pauses). Is that the intended outcome?
2. While paused or after i unpause, if i click the back button (like i want to go back to the menu of shows), it exits the app.
3. Can't navigate to the search on the screen where the dvr'd shows are. I can either go across or back up the the top menu.
4. The bar at the bottom no longer has the name of the show, now it says loading... all the time. Also you can't get the show info from
there anymore.
5. While the pause area is lit, you cannot navigate to the other options on the right hand side.
6. While watching live tv, i can't just click the select button to pause anymore. i have to press down, then left 9 times to pause it. When i click select, the bar blinks for a second and goes away.

Excited to see where it goes from here.

Arative

Post by Arative » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:38 pm

UI looks nice. Bigger text is easier to read.

Couple of minor issues I've run into on my shield tv
When deleting a show that has only one episode, instead of going back to the 1st recorded show, the cursor goes back to top menu.

When hiding a show I have to click up twice to get to the hide button. Also once a show is hidden and I press back the cursor goes all the way to top instead of staying where I was.

None of these issues is what I would call even minor, just a little annoyances.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm

jbahlman@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm
A couple of things i have noticed. I am running it on a shield.

1. When i am watching a dvr'd show, i have to click 3 times for it to pause instead of once. (1 time brings up the bar, 2 turns the pause spot green, and 3 pauses). Is that the intended outcome?
2. While paused or after i unpause, if i click the back button (like i want to go back to the menu of shows), it exits the app.
3. Can't navigate to the search on the screen where the dvr'd shows are. I can either go across or back up the the top menu.
4. The bar at the bottom no longer has the name of the show, now it says loading... all the time. Also you can't get the show info from
there anymore.
5. While the pause area is lit, you cannot navigate to the other options on the right hand side.
6. While watching live tv, i can't just click the select button to pause anymore. i have to press down, then left 9 times to pause it. When i click select, the bar blinks for a second and goes away.

Excited to see where it goes from here.
I experience number 6 on my shield also. select button pops up the guide briefly and it disappears. have to press up or down, then left to get to the bar for pausing.

Used the controller at first while the remote was charging and it was doing the same thing, A button would just bring up guide for a split second and disappear. tried X and Y and it got stuck in the search icon saying undefined until I hit left arrow a bunch of times to get out of it.

Other than that everything else looks good

jasonmcroy
Device ID: 1061D18E, 1070B743, 1076A10B

Post by jasonmcroy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:50 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:47 pm
jasonmcroy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm
To add in my experience: 1 Shield upstairs (16gb 2015 version) UI updated fine per your instructions. However, my Living Room Shield (Pro model 2015 version) will not update. It is also the device I use as the DVR in case that matters. I have rebooted the Shield twice but nothing.

On my tablet, the UI updated fine as well.

EDIT: by the way, wanted to say that the changes look pretty good so far.
Per the previous user's experience, I'd say definitely don't delete any data on the device you're using as a DVR. It is interesting that the two not updating have been DVR shields.
I won't delete anything. I'll wait to see if you guys can reproduce or find out why and fix.

I didn't realize at least one other user was having this issue on the Shield DVR as well.

I haven't been able to play around much more tonight but I will tomorrow.

cincylion

Post by cincylion » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Zoom isn't working on Nvidia shield.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 pm

No blog on this yet?

jasonmcroy
Device ID: 1061D18E, 1070B743, 1076A10B

Post by jasonmcroy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm

First a Question: Should we keep posting issues in this thread or would you guys prefer us to start a new thread/look for a new thread that is similar to an issue found?

Just in case you want them here: I was just playing around with the Windows 10 app on my laptop. I noticed on the Live TV screen the menu button that you hit to take you into the Recordings/Discover/Task page moves to underneath the timeline bar. It kind of looks like it's a sizing thing, like on the smaller screen it's moved down because it's just not compensating for the size difference. It actually took me a little while to find the button. At first I just thought it was missing.

Also, the slice pop-out seems to be all over the place. Sometimes it works fine to scroll to the right on a channel to see what is coming up and sometimes it doesn't.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:00 pm
GetMatt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 pm

I force quit the app did a hard reboot of the xbox and reloaded the app. Still no change. For kicks I also did various combinations of enabling and disabling early access to new features and force quitting rebooting the app. With early access toggled on I still get the old UI.

Update:
I have tried to get access to the new UI on Xbox, Windows, iOS (iPhone 7) and Android (MiBox) and it works on Windows and Android. I can't get it to load the new UI on Xbox or iOS.
Thanks for the info. We'll do some testing here to see if we can figure the holdup.

edit: Just out of curiosity, are you based out of the US or some other country? It shouldn't matter, but I want to cross off possibilities.
Yes I am in North Idaho. So West Coast.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 pm
No blog on this yet?
You guys say you always want to know first. :)

A blog will be out soon, but since this is a beta release, there’s no harm in ramping the release.

mrb55

Post by mrb55 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Running DVR server on Win 10 64 bit machine in living room. Running Win 10 app client on same machine and sending output to local HDTV.

1. When selecting from discover menu for movies, the selection only shows the date and channel, but doesn't include the actual recording time.

2. When adding time to the end of the recording, up to 30 minutes is available for selection but no matter which choice is selected, the final choice in the box is always 30 seconds. BTW.....I prefer keeping the 1 hour extension as an option.

3. When playing back recordings the stop button no longer functions. Only the back button will return you to the recording menu.

4. When scrolling down through channels on the slice list, there is always a hesitation between each channel which requires a separate down button push each time. This issue does not occur when scrolling up through them. This problem has carried over from the current standard version.

The wife likes the larger fonts. Much easier to read.
Last edited by mrb55 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Better than it was, but still not as good as a grid guide.

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:26 pm

I get the following error at app startup on a NVIDIA Shield if there is a legacy device on the network: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘GuideName’ of undefined

I specifically have a HDHomeRun DUAL, DeviceID: 1034FCE5, Firmware: 20170930.

It does not seem to be an issue with the Windows 10 app.