Closed Captions in Win 10 app version of HDHomeRun

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jwhitaker

Closed Captions in Win 10 app version of HDHomeRun

Post by jwhitaker »

I'm hearing impaired who has bought your TV tuner and DVR storage devices-- loving them since then.

I have serious issue with Win 10 app version of HDHomeRun-- its appearance of Closed Captions. The text size of closed captions is way too big, and restricted to only white on black colors. I don't need to see captions taken third, and sometime half, of the HDTV screen size. Stuck with white-only texts are too way bright for watching shows and movies in HDR / DolbyVision mode. Not sure if you realize that when in HDR / DolbyVision mode, white color gets whiter and brighter. That kind of brightness ruins my viewing experience with movies/shows with dark scenes. I need them to be in yellow on black with semi-transparent-- like 75% opaqueness.

In the next version of your app, please add font sizes, like 4 steps smaller than the current size, and several colors with opaque/semi-transparent options, like yellow on black, white on black, light gray on black.

I"ve posted this same info in another discussion which could be wrong place to post. Posting in here just in case for developers at SiliconDust to see this.

tearfalls

Re: Closed Captions in Win 10 app version of HDHomeRun

Post by tearfalls »

I'm in the same situation and posted before requesting a similar feature for all the HDHOMERUN apps. Developers please consider adding this function allowing us to customize closed caption style and size to help people like us. Thanks!
Last edited by tearfalls on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

+1 for these Closed Caption features.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

+1 for flexible CC options. I am not hearing impaired but sometimes, at night, I use low volume and augment dialog with CC.
I love transparent backgrounds with text having a shadow. Like subtitling.

Plus sometimes is fun to see extra information in CC. For example like when a song plays, you see the title/author (like that means anything for a hearing impaired person!).