Google TV and HDHomeRun Tuners

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
rmalbers

Google TV and HDHomeRun Tuners

Post by rmalbers »

Will Google TV's 'Live' section support HDHomeRun tuners as sources?

rmalbers

Re: Google TV and HDHomeRun Tuners

Post by rmalbers »

rmalbers wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 pm Will Google TV's 'Live' section support HDHomeRun tuners as sources?
I've finding this: Google says the API for the live TV tab is available to other services and that it’s already working with Sling on it.

bradwatson

Post by bradwatson »

Bump. Came here to ask this. The Google TV live section looks really nice. Would live to have HDHomerun integration similar to Live Channels on Android TV.

speedbump49

Post by speedbump49 »

You can install the android hdhomerun app and run it inside Chrome with Google TV. Just use voice activation to open google play.

pboggini

Post by pboggini »

On my Chromecast with Google TV all I had to do was install the HDHomerun app. Now, there seems to be a bug with the Live Channels app where it doesn't show up even if you install it. From what I've read, the authors of the app are trying to be clever (too clever in my book) where they deliberately don't want to show the app even if it's installed if there are no inputs. But, there is a bug where this cleverness has caused the app to not show up even if you have inputs (I have 2, HDHomerun and PlutoTV). My solution, I found PVR Live. It's a PVR frontend for Live Channels but it shows up so I just use it instead.

Honestly, I wish the HDHomerun app acted more like the Live Channels app. Click the button, the menu pops up with the focus on the guide which is a nice full screen one. Much better in my book than the slice view. Then you can go up and get to a menu to pause, FFW, RW, etc. You can also go down to get to the settings menus. When watching, hitting the up button moves you up a channel, down takes you down a channels. Much more like typical types of set top boxes. When I try to use the HDHomerun app it's always a frustrating experience of pressing the wrong button and it doesn't integrate things like PlutoTV into the guide. So, unless I decide to do the DVR thing, I won't have to worry about it or use it. If I do, then I'll figure out a better way. I really, really, wish the devs of the app would take this feedback to heart and try to make the app work better with Chromecast with Google TV.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 »

I cannot even find the 'live' section you are talking about in Chromecast with Google TV. Like other posters, I downloaded live channels but the APP doesn't show on the homescreen, only under APPS in the settings menu.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

rrussis82 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:10 pm I cannot even find the 'live' section you are talking about in Chromecast with Google TV.
I think you need to have a YouTube TV subscription to see the "Live" section.

pboggini

Post by pboggini »

Ken.F wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 am
rrussis82 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:10 pm I cannot even find the 'live' section you are talking about in Chromecast with Google TV.
I think you need to have a YouTube TV subscription to see the "Live" section.
Also, even if you have YouTubeTV you cannot see the HDHomerun channels in the "live" section. Rather, you have to open "Live Channels" which as I mentioned up thread won't show up even if you've installed it. My work around is to install "PVR Live" and then just open that app. It uses Live Channels as on the backend and you are essentially using Live Channels to navigate. I much, prefer the Live Channels interface to the HDHomerun interface so I use that exclusively when watching the channels from HDHomerun. As an added bonus, if you install PlutoTV, its channels also show up there. Now, if only I could get YouTubeTV's channels in the same place.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

I think the thread OP may have been talking about totally different things, not the Chromecast with Google TV. No idea what he refers to, could be YouTube TV, not Google TV.

There was a now defunct Google TV long time ago. No one should expect anything on that.
Google Officially re-branded Android TV with a new skin in Chromecast with Google TV and there is no live TV section. In fact the Live Channels app Google created is intentionally hidden.

YouTube TV is totally different and it only takes input from Google's own streaming source.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

foxbat121 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:03 am Google Officially re-branded Android TV with a new skin in Chromecast with Google TV and there is no live TV section.
The new Chromecast device with Google TV does have a live TV section but it won't show up unless you have an active YouTube TV subscription.

It's in the top menu right next to "For you".

Edit: added second image.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

So, that's just YouTube TV tab. Not the traditionally Live Channels

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

foxbat121 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:28 am So, that's just YouTube TV tab. Not the traditionally Live Channels
Exactly. The original question was if HDHomeRun tuners could be added as a source to that section, not Android TV's "Live Channels" app.