ALWAYS On Top Setting??

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
ionizer

ALWAYS On Top Setting??

Post by ionizer »

How hard would it be to add an "always on top" function for HD Home Run View software?

Often I want to put the TV on top of other applications, but as soon as I switch to a background app the window will cover it up.

Windows Media Home Center and many other video based apps have functionality to allow "always on top" functionality. I would think this is not difficult to add and could be a simple option in the settings.

Any chance this could be added?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: ALWAYS On Top Setting??

Post by nickk »

We have looked at that. Microsoft force a number of things for UWP apps operating in Picture-in-Picture style mode which basically mean you have to write a new UI specific to being in that window mode.
It is possible but not a simple matter.

I will bump the feature request we have filed.

Nick

ionizer

Post by ionizer »

nickk wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:27 pm We have looked at that. Microsoft force a number of things for UWP apps operating in Picture-in-Picture style mode which basically mean you have to write a new UI specific to being in that window mode.
It is possible but not a simple matter.

I will bump the feature request we have filed.

Nick
Thanks Nick. I thought maybe since there are apps that add the functionality to existing programs that maybe it was a matter of adding a simple additional option for it.

What do you mean though by Picture in Picture style? I didn't realize HD Home run view had PiP functionality within it?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Win10 UWP apps can't do "always on top" - that is an old windows feature only available to legacy desktop apps.

Instead UWP apps can set the window to be a mini view, however doing so requires a UI to be created for when the window is in mini view mode.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I remember we went through it at least 2 or 3 times when I was working for SD. When in the mini view, the titlebar is inside the window, so when you put the mouse cursor in it, it covers things that are at the top of the window, like the Live/Recorded/Discover/Tasks tabs and the search box on live TV. The system also doesn't report how tall the titlebar is, so you can't just tell the UI to shrink by an appropriate amount to fit. The whole system is designed to be used with a very basic UI, which is why even things that support it (e.g. the UWP version of VLC) only provide basic controls like play/pause, rewind, and volume. Anything complicated requires you to go back to the normal UI then return to the mini view. That's not terrible when you're just watching a movie or something and don't need to do much in the way of controls, but it sucks for live TV when you want to flip between different football games or something like that.