Improving adding and editing record rules

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
nickk
Silicondust

Improving adding and editing record rules

Post by nickk »

We are looking at ways to improve the UI for adding and editing record rules.

Today the low level logic can apply any of the following to a series rule:
RecentOnly
AfterOriginalAirdateOnly
ChannelOnly
TeamOnly
DateTimeOnly

The UI concept of a one-time-recording is a rule with ChannelOnly and DateTimeOnly set.

You can have multiple rules within the same series, for example to record multiple sports teams.

Within any rule you can set:
Priority
StartPadding
EndPadding

If the recording rule part of the UI annoys you and you think you can do better, now is the time to propose improvements. We are very open to concepts here to improve the user experience relating to recording rules.

We will post our own mock concepts as well - feedback encouraged...

FoodLioon

Re: Improving adding and editing record rules

Post by FoodLioon »

Select multiple channels for a rule. I get 2 FOXs, 2 NBCs and 2 CBSs. I would like to pick the FOX, CBS and NBC I want for NFL recordings.

MonkMad
Device ID: 10430024, 131A4FBC

Post by MonkMad »

I second FoodLioon's suggestion below. We had a related discussion when the "Record This Channel" feature was released. Basically, more granular control over recordings will exponentially increase the usability and utility of the DVR engine, espoecially for households with several tuners. If there is concern that some of these low-level or granular controls can be too much for novice users to handle, maybe there can be a toggle in Settings (like Kodi) where you can switch between "Standard" and "Advanced" modes for setting up recordings. The Standard mode can be the same as the current UI, and the Advanced mode could simply provide users with a multi-select UI for the low-level settings per rule mentioned by Nick, such as:
  • RecentOnly
  • AfterOriginalAirdateOnly
  • ChannelOnly
  • TeamOnly
  • DateTimeOnly
and another section for
  • Priority
  • StartPadding
  • EndPadding

What would be icing on the cake :) , is if there was a "Preview" feature for the Advanced mode (perhaps in a frame to the side/bottom of the screen), which would update a list of upcoming recordings based on what you select/deselect. This would allow power users to experiment and come with the exact settings to get their rules working just as they like.

Yet another feature (hey, we can always dream, right? :D ) could be the selection of certain tuners/HDHR devices per recording rule. This would allow users who have both PRIME and an OTA tuners, to devise separate recording strategies for cable vs broadcast (and many other permutations)

Please let me know if these make sense, and if you'd like more details on any of these. Thanks!
FoodLioon wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:39 am Select multiple channels for a rule. I get 2 FOXs, 2 NBCs and 2 CBSs. I would like to pick the FOX, CBS and NBC I want for NFL recordings.

Alister

Post by Alister »

What you call padding - prerecord and post record - have the global default be a software setting

Very useful for the BBC in UK that can over run / timings on SD be off from OTA

shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Post by shawn_75 »

I would love to have the ability to select the maximum number of episodes to keep on the DVR for a series recording rule. If the maximum number of episodes already exists on the DVR and a new recording is going to occur, delete the oldest episode. An extension to this would be to give the option to treat the deletion as a deletion of a one-off recording (it would re-record according to series rules if it occurs again) or treat it as a deletion of a series recording (it would not re-record if it encounters this episode again).

Another like to have, the ability to discover / set recordings via an app. Perhaps using the already existing view app. If it cannot detect any tuners (i.e. I'm not at home), allow it to still let me browse discover and set rules. I suppose I'd have to login to the app so you'd know which devices and what lineups to show.

I appreciate you asking for our feedback.

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Post by ronintexas »

Typically, when I record programs it is either one of two scenarios:

1) Current programs - "new" shows only (i.e. current Good Doctor on ABC, new episodes only) - padding 2 minutes before, 5 minutes after.
2) Old shows - I record all of them, unless there is a duplicate - for example, recording "Wild, Wild West" to obtain a complete collection of the shows to watch at my leisure - usually with padding as well.

There are several programs that appear on multiple channels in my area, and giving priority to channels would be beneficial, especially if one is HD and the other is SD (maybe just priority to HD channels?). There could also be situations where reception is better on specific channels.

One big issue I often encounter - during NFL season, NCIS Los Angeles & NCIS New Orleans can be delayed due to the football game running late. Not sure if there is a way to determine that occurred, and adjust the recording start/end times.

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

I would like to see a choice whether a recording may begin for an airing already in progress or not, and if allowed, mark as a partial recording.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

If It's not too late to add suggestions I'd like to have an option to re-record previously deleted episodes.