Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
manicslothpdx

Re: Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

Post by manicslothpdx »

I would still buy a 6-tuner PRIME if it is ever released, but I will say that "Channels DVR" and its support for "TV Everywhere" does solve a lot of use-cases that a CableCard-enabled 3rd party product like TiVo previously fulfilled. This includes archiving your content, which is actually easier with Channels than some other solutions. It's not perfect though, especially since there's usually a gap between the channels you can get from your cable TV provider with a CableCard vs. TV Everywhere, especially locals (unless you're in a ****** market.) There's also support for surround sound that you don't get with TV Everywhere, and the compression levels may be less over cable than a TV Everywhere stream. So, I think there is still value to a PRIME 6 if it ever gets released. This is probably also why PRIME 3 devices go for $250+ on eBay and they sell really fast (it took me a few weeks to win one last month because, at the time, there were no Buy It Now options.)

FFantin

Post by FFantin »

The new post in the PRIME 6 announcement thread has me both intrigued and concerned. Can't wait to hear these new details! :)

trakz

Post by trakz »

FFantin wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:10 pm The new post in the PRIME 6 announcement thread has me both intrigued and concerned. Can't wait to hear these new details! :)
What's it called when all toes/fingers are crossed that this means it's not canceled?

VistaVick

Post by VistaVick »

The bad news is the only news that really seems to matter. Dropping all support for cable cards for OTA

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

VistaVick wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:34 pm The bad news is the only news that really seems to matter. Dropping all support for cable cards for OTA
We will have a CableCARD product for sale again in the near future. It's already certified.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm
VistaVick wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:34 pm The bad news is the only news that really seems to matter. Dropping all support for cable cards for OTA
We will have a CableCARD product for sale again in the near future. It's already certified.
A 6-Tuner device?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

mcewinter wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm
NedS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm
A 6-Tuner device?
Unfortunately, no. The PRIME6 is dead, and that is the bad news.

manicslothpdx

Post by manicslothpdx »

So, is the 3-tuner model being re-released, maybe in a new form factor?

trakz

Post by trakz »

maybe in a new form factor?
This would be good enough for me. Modern components in a new form factor. Will just buy 2 :-)

manicslothpdx

Post by manicslothpdx »

I concur. It'd be cleaner in my setup if it matched the current devices like my QUATRO (and the QUATRO 4K I will buy once people who missed the Kickstarter can buy it.)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We'll have some more official announcement in the near future, but I've been told I can tell people if they ask me about it directly. So, yeah, it's the original PRIME, and it's in production right now. I don't think anything will be changed on it. It's going to be a limited run, as the SOC needed for the original PRIME's design is still discontinued. However, we uncovered a bunch of SOCs during the office move to Phoenix, and on top of that discovered someone had a few thousand more labeled as a different part number. So while it's not nearly as exciting as an entirely new CableCARD product, and it won't increase the tuner count, these will be freshly manufactured units, and we'll support them as long as we can.

And we're still going to release DRM recording support. At first it will come out for the SCRIBE/SERVIO DVRs, because we were able to built those with special considerations for DRM ahead of time, but Nick thinks he can get things to work on the other software platforms.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

and who knows, maybe we'll make a 3D printable design for the enclosure to make it look more modern.

trakz

Post by trakz »

It's going to be a limited run
Better include another limited edition commemorative coin then ;-)

manicslothpdx

Post by manicslothpdx »

A new 3D printable enclosure would be nice. I cracked open my existing PRIME 3 to see how wide the circuit board was and it looks like the guts would fit in a double-wide version of the existing style of case that all the other products use. The newer style is more convenient because then you can stack these devices, unlike the old PRIME 3 design which has a slightly curved top. The old one is basically a taco once you disassemble it. It's obviously not a huge deal, but it would be a nice option.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pm And we're still going to release DRM recording support. At first it will come out for the SCRIBE/SERVIO DVRs, because we were able to built those with special considerations for DRM ahead of time, but Nick thinks he can get things to work on the other software platforms.
I'd be willing to buy a Servio if that's what it takes to record DRM but I very much prefer non-DRM recordings going to storage that is freely accessible over the network. Would it be possible to configure it so only DRM recordings go to the Servio and everything else goes to a different device running the record engine? You probably can't answer that question now but I wanted to ask about it before it's too late.