Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
trakz

Re: Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

Post by trakz »

FWIW, there's clearly ongoing demand amongst existing CableCard customers - just look at the price of Prime 3's on eBay. The question becomes, is it worth it from a pure business perspective to continue investment; unfortunately only SD knows this for sure.

If the hardware is complete (appears it might be), and any additional development/certification costs can be recouped, there's not really any need to cancel it. I know SD is resource-constrained, but are the resources working on the ATSC 3.0 products really going to be working on whatever is left for the Prime 6 to be feature complete?

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

trakz wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm
FWIW, there's clearly ongoing demand amongst existing CableCard customers - just look at the price of Prime 3's on eBay. The question becomes, is it worth it from a pure business perspective to continue investment; unfortunately only SD knows this for sure.

If the hardware is complete (appears it might be), and any additional development/certification costs can be recouped, there's not really any need to cancel it. I know SD is resource-constrained, but are the resources working on the ATSC 3.0 products really going to be working on whatever is left for the Prime 6 to be feature complete?
From what I understand Cable Companies can at anytime stop supporting Cable Cards all together.... so you will be stuck with a device that will not work.

VistaVick

Post by VistaVick »

Chances are if you have a cable card it will continue to work for a while, but I'm not sure I'd drop that much money on one right now. Perhaps the major cable providers will make some kind of statement soon on the subject.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

VistaVick wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm
Chances are if you have a cable card it will continue to work for a while, but I'm not sure I'd drop that much money on one right now. Perhaps the major cable providers will make some kind of statement soon on the subject.
Yeah I have 2 Primes but will not be investing anymore in anything that requires a Cable Card. I will stick with what I have till they die or Cable Cards start failing.

trakz

Post by trakz »

EddieP wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 pm
trakz wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm

From what I understand Cable Companies can at anytime stop supporting Cable Cards all together.... so you will be stuck with a device that will not work.
That fear was explicitly called out in the FCC report:
“(11) NCTA also asserts that since there are tens of millions of CableCARDs currently deployed in cable operator-provided devices, “[c]able operators have strong business incentives to ensure that CableCARDs continue to function properly.” We agree and further find that competitive market forces should incentivize cable operators to continue to support retail CableCARD devices. ”
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 124A1.docx

CableCards aren't going anywhere. There's millions of devices with CableCards in them (was an FCC requirement that operators own boxes used CableCards internally). A "worst" case scenario would be operators no longer issue cards to consumers (that seems way more likely).

That said, the existing consumer card install base (~450k - https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-09/cablecard-is-dead/) may be able to recoup the costs of Prime 6 development. Hell, charge $500 for the thing and you'll still have prosumers buying due to lack of options and SD is known for quality product.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

There's not 'millions' on the cox system I am on! The cable companies can phase them out in parts of areas they serve real quick if they want. That's the benefit of addressable devices on a network you own. You will get a letter in the mail first though!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Nearly every stb cox has deployed has cablecards in them so yes there are millions.