Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
trakz

Re: Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

Post by trakz »

FWIW, there's clearly ongoing demand amongst existing CableCard customers - just look at the price of Prime 3's on eBay. The question becomes, is it worth it from a pure business perspective to continue investment; unfortunately only SD knows this for sure.

If the hardware is complete (appears it might be), and any additional development/certification costs can be recouped, there's not really any need to cancel it. I know SD is resource-constrained, but are the resources working on the ATSC 3.0 products really going to be working on whatever is left for the Prime 6 to be feature complete?

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

trakz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm FWIW, there's clearly ongoing demand amongst existing CableCard customers - just look at the price of Prime 3's on eBay. The question becomes, is it worth it from a pure business perspective to continue investment; unfortunately only SD knows this for sure.

If the hardware is complete (appears it might be), and any additional development/certification costs can be recouped, there's not really any need to cancel it. I know SD is resource-constrained, but are the resources working on the ATSC 3.0 products really going to be working on whatever is left for the Prime 6 to be feature complete?
From what I understand Cable Companies can at anytime stop supporting Cable Cards all together.... so you will be stuck with a device that will not work.

VistaVick

Post by VistaVick »

Chances are if you have a cable card it will continue to work for a while, but I'm not sure I'd drop that much money on one right now. Perhaps the major cable providers will make some kind of statement soon on the subject.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

VistaVick wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm Chances are if you have a cable card it will continue to work for a while, but I'm not sure I'd drop that much money on one right now. Perhaps the major cable providers will make some kind of statement soon on the subject.
Yeah I have 2 Primes but will not be investing anymore in anything that requires a Cable Card. I will stick with what I have till they die or Cable Cards start failing.

trakz

Post by trakz »

EddieP wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 pm
trakz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm FWIW, there's clearly ongoing demand amongst existing CableCard customers - just look at the price of Prime 3's on eBay. The question becomes, is it worth it from a pure business perspective to continue investment; unfortunately only SD knows this for sure.

From what I understand Cable Companies can at anytime stop supporting Cable Cards all together.... so you will be stuck with a device that will not work.
That fear was explicitly called out in the FCC report:
“(11) NCTA also asserts that since there are tens of millions of CableCARDs currently deployed in cable operator-provided devices, “[c]able operators have strong business incentives to ensure that CableCARDs continue to function properly.” We agree and further find that competitive market forces should incentivize cable operators to continue to support retail CableCARD devices. ”
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 124A1.docx

CableCards aren't going anywhere. There's millions of devices with CableCards in them (was an FCC requirement that operators own boxes used CableCards internally). A "worst" case scenario would be operators no longer issue cards to consumers (that seems way more likely).

That said, the existing consumer card install base (~450k - https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-09/cablecard-is-dead/) may be able to recoup the costs of Prime 6 development. Hell, charge $500 for the thing and you'll still have prosumers buying due to lack of options and SD is known for quality product.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

There's not 'millions' on the cox system I am on! The cable companies can phase them out in parts of areas they serve real quick if they want. That's the benefit of addressable devices on a network you own. You will get a letter in the mail first though!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Nearly every stb cox has deployed has cablecards in them so yes there are millions.

go45cvi

Post by go45cvi »

Interesting news. I switched to YTTV last year but was always considering going back to CC if the Prime 6 was ever released. I still have 2 HRPs but it was not worth the hassle to deal with Comcast setting them up. I don't miss the rat's nest of wiring I had in my console. And getting Plex to play nice with the tuners, WMC's EOL was a big issue. I do miss ripping the commercials out of the recordings and building a library of shows. But with everything available on streaming, it's not really worth my time. Maybe I'll set up a ****** dvr just for kicks...

LSExt2016

Post by LSExt2016 »

NedS wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:39 pm You guys have no idea how much it's killing us that we can't tell all of you the whole story. As long as there's any chance of the PRIME 6 still being released, we're going to play it safe and not say anything publicly that might hurt those chances.
NedS, Is the issue making a box with 6 tuners for a cablecard device? If so can't you go to making a 3-tuner box again instead, would that be acceptable to the gods preventing the 6-tuner? If so, do the 3, please.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

There is no difference in making a new box with 3 tuners vs 6 tuners. The problem is that either way a new box had to be made as the components for the old prime are no longer made so they can't make that.

When the prime first came out 3 tuners was actually pushing it for some providers as either the firmware on the cards or the TA may not have supported more than 2 (though their competition had 4). Soon after support for at least 4 streams was mandated for the cards/TA but they pretty much all support 6 streams so it makes more sense to go for a 6 tuner model.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

The question is how log does it really take to develop a 6-tuner device then subtract that from the numbered days of the CableCARD. If they're able to "fast-track" the Prime 6 somehow, you think they would have done that already.

johnbrown

Post by johnbrown »

It has been nearly THREE YEARS since SD started its "Coming Soon" Prime 6 promotion!!! If they ever sell them, it will likely be too late because nearly all of us are mostly streaming TV now, so why waste our money? The delays we have been told of have been because SD has been spending most of its efforts on OTA equipment, if not all of its time. BTW most new TVs are smart TVs and also have ROKU. Did I mention that Android and Apple have numerous free apps providing unlimited TV and Movies!!!

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 »

johnbrown wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:26 pm It has been nearly THREE YEARS since SD started its "Coming Soon" Prime 6 promotion!!! If they ever sell them, it will likely be too late because nearly all of us are mostly streaming TV now, so why waste our money? The delays we have been told of have been because SD has been spending most of its efforts on OTA equipment, if not all of its time. BTW most new TVs are smart TVs and also have ROKU. Did I mention that Android and Apple have numerous free apps providing unlimited TV and Movies!!!
Problem is, streaming tv doesn't allow DVR where you keep your recordings. Many of us who do not receive OTA channels, who want to keep our recordings, our only option is cable. Why do I want to keep recordings? Well this "Pandemic" proves why, what would have happened if it got worse and streaming services did not work? Having a library of movies and shows we keep when in a quarantine situation can help with stir crazy... just saying.

johnbrown

Post by johnbrown »

Many of the major online videos services allow you to download shows to your devices! Check it out!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

johnbrown wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:08 pm Many of the major online videos services allow you to download shows to your devices! Check it out!
Not even remotely the same thing. You can't archive recordings and play them back in the software of your choosing. The moment you are not a cable customer you loose access to their system, but a third party DVR will retain those recordings virtually forever. Sometimes you can't even fast forward through commercials when using their DVR/on-demand/whatever system.