Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
ctviggen

Re: Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

Post by ctviggen »

Well, that sucks. Is there any path forward for those of us remaining on cable? I'd love to add 3 channels to my 3 channel system, so I could get off cable boxes, but was hoping to not buy a used prime.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Should be no need to buy used as SD currently has some primes in stock as they were able to source some chips to make a limited run (3 tuner)

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

I did not know that. Thank you.

I currently have to use a tuning adapter for my current Prime. Does this mean I'd need another tuning adapter for this second Prime too?

And exactly what is a "tuning adapter" and why do I need it/

wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Post by wtg »

ctviggen wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:46 am And exactly what is a "tuning adapter" and why do I need it/
Cable networks using tuning adapters are using switched digital video, SDV, because they can free up bandwidth on their systems by shutting down cable channels that aren't currently being used and reassign it to internet, voice or other channels. So for instance if no one happens to be watching channel 610 and 705 right now, they can shutdown the broadcasts and reallocate that frequency for other things. Later if someone tries to tune channel 610, the network quickly assigns some bandwidth for it, possibly on a different frequency than it was broadcast previously. They can do this differently within various nodes in their network too, so HGTV or Univision might be allocated bandwidth in some parts of town but be currently unallocated in other neighborhoods that don't have anyone tuning those channels.

The tuning adapter handles the communication of the channel assignments and reassignments, and you need one for each cable card adapter. Without it the cable card can likely tune very popular channels fine - some channels might stay statically assigned to frequencies because they're so popular that they're always in use - but other channels will fail because they move frequently, or were unassigned during the last channel scan.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

Thank you for that explanation.