Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
cbdudek

Re: Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

Post by cbdudek »

If my HDHomerun Prime dies, I won't bother getting another one. I will just subscribe to Youtube TV, Sling, or some other online provider and cancel my TV service through Comcast. I know I will probably spend a bit more doing this, but even if I spend $20 more a month, and the cost of the HDHomerun Prime 6 will cost $250, it will take me over a year to just break even on the hardware. I won't have to mess around with local storage for keeping TV recordings either.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt »

rrussis82 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:05 pm
turbotaylor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:59 am I think after the FCC released the CableCard mandate it won't be long before you can't get one anymore. And honestly, I did the numbers and it's honestly no longer a cost savings.

I dug out my HomeRunPrime yesterday and went and got a cable card from Spectrum. The guy said this was the last one in their office.

With taxes and fees, for the cheapest cable package, it'll be $64.59 a month. YouTube TV has nearly the identical lineup with actually more sports for, you guessed it, $64.99 a month. With unlimited DVR and 6 simultaneous streams.

I also had to get the tuning adapter. Had lots of trouble activating the card and come to find out, my apartment has not been served with Spectrum (or Charter) since 2015!! We have Google Fiber at this complex and back when it was installed they were still doing the IPTV package, so I'm assuming that's what most people did. Now, between that time and the current streaming times, no one has bothered getting cable here. So now I have to make an appointment, wait for a tech to come out and figure out what is wrong with the wiring... It's no wonder people are DONE with cable. Talk about hassle.

Folks, do not expect SiliconDust to keep investing in this product. As another person said, the media center days are over and I think we all need to face it. I'm considering taking the cable card back, but idk maybe I want to enjoy these last few years of CableCard glory.
As long as cable companies still support it, I will still continue to use a cablecard. In regards to streaming services providing unlimited DVR, what if YouTube TV decides it is no longer profitable to provide streaming, and shuts down the service, you will lose your DVR collection. What if a movie gets flagged as "racist" like for example, gone with the wind, youtube will remove it from your DVR to be "politically correct". It is not a true DVR, but more like an ondemand feature that gets booked marked as your DVR. as long as they still keep it in their database you are good to watch it on their platform. With SiliconDust, that movie is a file stored on my equipment that (as long as it isn't DRM when that becomes a possibility) can be watched on any platform and will only be removed when I want it removed, or my equipment dies without a backup. Even if SD changes it's business model and no longer provides this service, the files are still mine to watch. That is what is so great about this product that streaming will never provide.
Long term storage is a moot point on these services. Most of them only allow you to store recordings for 30 or 90 days at most.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 »

GetMatt wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:41 pm
turbotaylor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:59 am I think after the FCC released the CableCard mandate it won't be long before you can't get one anymore. And honestly, I did the numbers and it's honestly no longer a cost savings.

I dug out my HomeRunPrime yesterday and went and got a cable card from Spectrum. The guy said this was the last one in their office.

With taxes and fees, for the cheapest cable package, it'll be $64.59 a month. YouTube TV has nearly the identical lineup with actually more sports for, you guessed it, $64.99 a month. With unlimited DVR and 6 simultaneous streams.

I also had to get the tuning adapter. Had lots of trouble activating the card and come to find out, my apartment has not been served with Spectrum (or Charter) since 2015!! We have Google Fiber at this complex and back when it was installed they were still doing the IPTV package, so I'm assuming that's what most people did. Now, between that time and the current streaming times, no one has bothered getting cable here. So now I have to make an appointment, wait for a tech to come out and figure out what is wrong with the wiring... It's no wonder people are DONE with cable. Talk about hassle.

Folks, do not expect SiliconDust to keep investing in this product. As another person said, the media center days are over and I think we all need to face it. I'm considering taking the cable card back, but idk maybe I want to enjoy these last few years of CableCard glory.
As long as cable companies still support it, I will still continue to use a cablecard. In regards to streaming services providing unlimited DVR, what if YouTube TV decides it is no longer profitable to provide streaming, and shuts down the service, you will lose your DVR collection. What if a movie gets flagged as "racist" like for example, gone with the wind, youtube will remove it from your DVR to be "politically correct". It is not a true DVR, but more like an ondemand feature that gets booked marked as your DVR. as long as they still keep it in their database you are good to watch it on their platform. With SiliconDust, that movie is a file stored on my equipment that (as long as it isn't DRM when that becomes a possibility) can be watched on any platform and will only be removed when I want it removed, or my equipment dies without a backup. Even if SD changes it's business model and no longer provides this service, the files are still mine to watch. That is what is so great about this product that streaming will never provide.
Long term storage is a moot point on these services. Most of them only allow you to store recordings for 30 or 90 days at most.
And what happens if you lose internet? you cannot watch them. With SiliconDust, I can still watch my movies and shows I recorded through VLC if I lose internet for long term. It is 2020, crazy things are happening this year and you cannot rule out losing internet for long term, whether you cannot afford it, or some catastrophic thing happens, or worse the apocalypse? with a generator, I can power up my TV and watch my recordings.... you can't with youtubeTV… Like I said earlier I would prefer to keep cable card as long as I can and have my recordings than to move to some streaming service for cable. I will buy another prime device when it come out.

breezytm

Post by breezytm »

You made some very good and valid points. My prime 3 died and I was thinking about going to YouTubeTV. Now you got me thinking. I only wanted to do that because I didn’t have any interest in paying 200 bucks for a prime. $120 is the most I will pay since that is its actual price but everyone is selling it extremely high right now.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 »

breezytm wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:06 am

You made some very good and valid points. My prime 3 died and I was thinking about going to YouTubeTV. Now you got me thinking. I only wanted to do that because I didn’t have any interest in paying 200 bucks for a prime. $120 is the most I will pay since that is its actual price but everyone is selling it extremely high right now.
reach out to support, maybe they can refurbish it for you at a cheaper price

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The original HDHomeRun PRIME (3 tuner) is back for a limited time: https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... lto=410844

Normal price is $199.99, but non-commercial customers can use coupon code PRIME2020 and knock $50 off the price for a total of $149.99 (limit 2).

marks

Post by marks »

I hope the cable companies support CableCard for a long time I just ordered another Prime 3 as a backup in case my first one goes bad but they are very reliable.
I think it is in the cable companies financial interest to keep supporting CableCard otherwise people will switch to internet steaming.

breezytm

Post by breezytm »

Would love if you guys add the DVR engine too and a hard drive bay.