Apple TV app (tvOS)

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jseymour

Re: Apple TV app (tvOS)

Post by jseymour »

jesus.a wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:13 am
jseymour wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:55 am
jesus.a wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 pm Looking forward to this happening, because Channels app has gone on a direction not suitable for european users. They have no option to just subscribe to DVR, we have to pay a monthly fee for features we can't use here in Europe. :?
To what "monthly fee for features we can't use" do you refer? I've been subscribed to Channels DVR for two years and we're paying the same fee now we always have. They've added capabilities to the Channels DVR, but their fee structure has not changed.
At least here in Finland we cannot use TV Everywhere feature, so paying for it seems kinda silly?
I don't even know if we even can use it. I've no interest in it. But, again: We've been subscribed to Channels DVR for two years and we're paying the same fee now we always have. They did not increase their fees when they added support for TVE. So I don't see where you're getting that you'd be paying for something you're not using.

Do you expect them to give you a discount on the fee they did not increase because you can't use an added feature for which they didn't charge? Image

MarkM929

Post by MarkM929 »

It would be nice to see airplay support added to the new hdhomerun app for Apple TV. Right now it only plays through tv speakers and not my homepods I am using as tv speakers.

Thanks!

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

MarkM929 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 am It would be nice to see airplay support added to the new hdhomerun app for Apple TV. Right now it only plays through tv speakers and not my homepods I am using as tv speakers.

Thanks!
Can’t you set the audio output through tvOS? That’s been available since tvOS version 13.

EDIT: now I see what you mean. It just ignores your audio output selection doesn’t it? That’s annoying.

Basically this is an alpha level app. Kind of a proof of concept that you can actually use the software to display TV broadcasts from the HDHR tuner and that’s about it. I am sure it will get better :-)

battierpeeler

Post by battierpeeler »

love it. thank you. no more input changes for this guy.

w0lfg^ng

Post by w0lfg^ng »

I was super excited, that is until I found out that there was no DRM! C'mon guys. No DRM = back to "Channel's - Live TV" which has the nicer GUI. There is no reason for me to use your app without the DRM. Please, please, please make this work for both Apple TV OS and Apples OS Catalina.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

w0lfg^ng wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:20 pm I was super excited, that is until I found out that there was no DRM! C'mon guys. No DRM = back to "Channel's - Live TV" which has the nicer GUI. There is no reason for me to use your app without the DRM. Please, please, please make this work for both Apple TV OS and Apples OS Catalina.
This is an initial release where DVR hasn't been added and there are still some minor sound issues being resolved (which should now be all good in the update going out soon). The entire app has been recreated for the Apple TV from scratch. These things will take time.

cswaters1

Post by cswaters1 »

I'm using a HDHomeRun DUAL gen-1/gen-2 (HDHR-EU / DVB-T) with firmware Version 20200225 and have been waiting for like forever for this app to be released... I was so excited to download it and get it working... But, to my dismay it looks like my device isn't supported as I just get a blank screen with only the controls across the bottom, no live tv :-(

I tested with the Mac app and it all works fine... What's the story, will the HDHR DUAL ever be supported? Or is this just planned obsolescence in effect?

Would appreciate a reply, thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

cswaters1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 pm I'm using a HDHomeRun DUAL gen-1/gen-2 (HDHR-EU / DVB-T) with firmware Version 20200225 and have been waiting for like forever for this app to be released... I was so excited to download it and get it working... But, to my dismay it looks like my device isn't supported as I just get a blank screen with only the controls across the bottom, no live tv
Problem found and fixed - support for the legacy HDHomeRun models will be in the next release.

Nick

cswaters1

Post by cswaters1 »

nickk wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 am
cswaters1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 pm I'm using a HDHomeRun DUAL gen-1/gen-2 (HDHR-EU / DVB-T) with firmware Version 20200225 and have been waiting for like forever for this app to be released... I was so excited to download it and get it working... But, to my dismay it looks like my device isn't supported as I just get a blank screen with only the controls across the bottom, no live tv
Problem found and fixed - support for the legacy HDHomeRun models will be in the next release.

Nick
Wow, great, thanks for the reply Nick! Is there an ETA for when the update will be available and what the fixes/features are?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

cswaters1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:32 pm Wow, great, thanks for the reply Nick! Is there an ETA for when the update will be available and what the fixes/features are?
The update was fasttracked - you should see the update available now.

Nick

cswaters1

Post by cswaters1 »

W00t! Thanks Nick, awesome!

lightvox

Post by lightvox »

Thanks NedS, nickk and all of you at Silicondust. The Live TV Apple TV app was like an early Christmas present :D It works amazingly well. I’ve been waiting for it for forever. I love that you can pause and rewind just like with a cable set top box. It’s so much better than the live TV functionality with Plex where channel changes take forever. Currently using it with the 3 tuner HDHomeRun Prime w/ a FIOS cable card. Let us know if there’s anything specific that we can test out and provide data and feedback on.

One small request. Would it be possible to add a “Last channel” feature to toggle back and forth between two channels?

Lastly, really hope that you can provide the DVR functionality as well soon. Thanks, again.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

lightvox wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 am Thanks NedS, nickk and all of you at Silicondust. The Live TV Apple TV app was like an early Christmas present :D It works amazingly well. I’ve been waiting for it for forever. I love that you can pause and rewind just like with a cable set top box. It’s so much better than the live TV functionality with Plex where channel changes take forever. Currently using it with the 3 tuner HDHomeRun Prime w/ a FIOS cable card. Let us know if there’s anything specific that we can test out and provide data and feedback on.

One small request. Would it be possible to add a “Last channel” feature to toggle back and forth between two channels?

Lastly, really hope that you can provide the DVR functionality as well soon. Thanks, again.
He doesn't post too much on the forum, but you might see his name every so often, but Gareth is the real rock star for the Apple TV app. He has done an amazing job at recreating the app from basically scratch for tvOS, and will soon have all of the normal features (DVR, etc).

"Last channel" is a common feature request that we hope to add to all versions of our app (whenever possible for a given platform). We just need to figure out how to best do it on devices with limited remote buttons. The Apple TV app might actually be a little easier to implement the feature on, since it's a specific version and we don't have to worry about any cross-platform concerns. In any case, I don't have an ETA, but it's definitely on our list.

MarkM929

Post by MarkM929 »

MarkM929 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 am It would be nice to see airplay support added to the new hdhomerun app for Apple TV. Right now it only plays through tv speakers and not my homepods I am using as tv speakers.

Thanks!
Not sure I saw a response from SD on this, NedS or nickk any official reply to airplay support for audio out?