Apple TV app (tvOS)

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
damcck

Apple TV app (tvOS)

Post by damcck »

Strange
I know i once had a post called Apple TV app (tvOS) but i cant seem to find it.

i got the SD email Kickstarter Stretch Goal - AppleTV Support
We need 2376 backers to make this happen!

Does that mean if you dont get enough backers the appletv app will not happen. is 2376 a hard number? as of this post 2282 signed up.
It is stated in the email "Apple TV is one of the most requested platforms for the HDHomeRun app".
If so, then why are we held hostage to buy a pre-production OTA unit in order to make this happen. What are the prime users to do who want the app but dont need OTA.

thanks

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Apple TV app (tvOS)

Post by nickk »

BTW - if you would like to support the Kickstarter but can't use an antenna there is a supporter commemorative coin level of support.

Nick

GhostPeter

Post by GhostPeter »

I find it fascinating that for years we were told there were technical limitations to support tvOS, but in reality, they just didn't want to support two code bases.

Now they're asking for more money.

SMH.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

GhostPeter wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 am I find it fascinating that for years we were told there were technical limitations to support tvOS, but in reality, they just didn't want to support two code bases.

Now they're asking for more money.

SMH.
We've never said there were technical limitations for the lack of tvOS support. We have always been clear that the reason we don't have an Apple TV app is due to Apple having different requirements for tvOS apps (no web-based UI), which would basically require two different apps (or, ideally, we would like to find some way to migrate existing Reactjs UI work to a React native app, which would minimize the special work needed just for tvOS).

We're asking for money because we're a business, and to create something new, new work must be done, which costs money. We tried to pay the developers with beans, but they kept getting mad at us.

damcck

Post by damcck »

beans... good response

but after two SD reply's i didnt get an answer to
Does that mean if you dont get enough backers the appletv app will not happen. is 2376 a hard number?

PVR4Me

Post by PVR4Me »

NedS wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:50 pm...We have always been clear that the reason we don't have an Apple TV app is due to Apple having different requirements for tvOS apps (no web-based UI), which would basically require two different apps (or, ideally, we would like to find some way to migrate existing Reactjs UI work to a React native app, which would minimize the special work needed just for tvOS). ...
Yes, but...the AppleTV was a thing well before you started the new UI work. Why did SD choose something that would not work on AppleTV? Was there _nothing_ that gave a workable path forward on all platforms?

Craig

ImNotSerious

Post by ImNotSerious »

nickk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:00 pm BTW - if you would like to support the Kickstarter but can't use an antenna there is a supporter commemorative coin level of support.

Nick
Sounds like they would be happy with just 2376 $29 backers to make this happen. Course if we just had an option to pay $29to get a TVOS app years ago, I would have done it.

Don’t know if I would switch back from purple to green at this point.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

PVR4Me wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:10 am
NedS wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:50 pm...We have always been clear that the reason we don't have an Apple TV app is due to Apple having different requirements for tvOS apps (no web-based UI), which would basically require two different apps (or, ideally, we would like to find some way to migrate existing Reactjs UI work to a React native app, which would minimize the special work needed just for tvOS). ...
Yes, but...the AppleTV was a thing well before you started the new UI work. Why did SD choose something that would not work on AppleTV? Was there _nothing_ that gave a workable path forward on all platforms?

Craig
Apple TV was still struggling to get marketshare back in 2015 when most of these decisions were being made. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Apple guy myself, and I've had nearly every generation of Apple TV ever made, but it wasn't even possible to make an app for Apple TV until late 2015.

We're a small company, so we focused on options that would work really well cross platform. We have one UI that now works on every major platform, and we hope to bring it to even more platforms. Using web-based technologies like Reactjs is a very smart idea that is used by many major apps out there, that greatly reduces support burden, decreases development time, and so on. Considering web-based interfaces is something allowed on iOS, it's very odd that Apple decided to not allow it on tvOS. They seem to have doubled down on that stance, which we hoped they would soften up on because interactive ATSC 3.0 features would require web-based interfaces (it's actually part of the ATSC 3.0 spec). There is no practical reason for this, not for the user experience, not for security, or any of that.

That being said, Apple has built a great platform with tvOS. The user-base for Apple TV has increased to the point that we felt we needed to do something. With how successful the ATSC 3.0 kickstarter is going, we evaluated the situation and figured we could justify ATV development using some of the additional profit being made, if we hit the right numbers. And we have. We've blown past the stretch goal, and we will be making an official HDHomeRun Apple TV client.

zosobao

Post by zosobao »

Glad that you are going to now support apple tv. Perhaps I may dust off my equipment and put into service again once implemented! Any timeframes?

battierpeeler

Post by battierpeeler »

is the plan for apple tv app to be ready by the august estimated kickstarter shipments or are they completely separate?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

battierpeeler wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:48 am is the plan for apple tv app to be ready by the august estimated kickstarter shipments or are they completely separate?
It will be separate.

jesus.a

Post by jesus.a »

Looking forward to this happening, because Channels app has gone on a direction not suitable for european users. They have no option to just subscribe to DVR, we have to pay a monthly fee for features we can't use here in Europe. :?

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

jesus.a wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 pm Looking forward to this happening, because Channels app has gone on a direction not suitable for european users. They have no option to just subscribe to DVR, we have to pay a monthly fee for features we can't use here in Europe. :?
To what "monthly fee for features we can't use" do you refer? I've been subscribed to Channels DVR for two years and we're paying the same fee now we always have. They've added capabilities to the Channels DVR, but their fee structure has not changed.

damcck

Post by damcck »

Remotes

To the Devs:

please dont forget to configure your app to work with non siri remotes
I know channels app and plex had to do some updates to better accept IR remotes
like the harmony
or the silver apple remote
or countless other IR remotes
that use D pad, enter, home, back, menu, play pause, next track and so on.
i guess its pretty much the same setup as firestick remote

please test with some of those IR remotes.

https://www.amazon.com/Replaced-MD199LL ... 3635&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title

jesus.a

Post by jesus.a »

jseymour wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:55 am
jesus.a wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 pm Looking forward to this happening, because Channels app has gone on a direction not suitable for european users. They have no option to just subscribe to DVR, we have to pay a monthly fee for features we can't use here in Europe. :?
To what "monthly fee for features we can't use" do you refer? I've been subscribed to Channels DVR for two years and we're paying the same fee now we always have. They've added capabilities to the Channels DVR, but their fee structure has not changed.
At least here in Finland we cannot use TV Everywhere feature, so paying for it seems kinda silly?