The forgotten loyal customer

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
GhostPeter

Re: The forgotten loyal customer

Post by GhostPeter »

I haven't used the software regularly in quite a while since I moved over to Channels, but here's a list of standard dvr features that I believe are still yet to implemented but requested years ago:

1. Initiate an immediate recording and have it utilize the buffer (most DVRs have this).

2. small window with current program playing while using other menus (most DVRs have this).

3. If you can't deliver #2, at least pause / resume when entering/exiting menus and preserve the buffer.

4. Set number of episodes to keep (most DVRs have this).

5. Record off specific channel only (most DVRs have this).

6. Show used/available space on recording drives (most DVRs have this).

I'm sure there are more, but these are standard DVR features that your software falls woefully short on.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

GhostPeter wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:44 am
I haven't used the software regularly in quite a while since I moved over to Channels, but here's a list of standard dvr features that I believe are still yet to implemented but requested years ago:

1. Initiate an immediate recording and have it utilize the buffer (most DVRs have this).

2. small window with current program playing while using other menus (most DVRs have this).

3. If you can't deliver #2, at least pause / resume when entering/exiting menus and preserve the buffer.

4. Set number of episodes to keep (most DVRs have this).

5. Record off specific channel only (most DVRs have this).

6. Show used/available space on recording drives (most DVRs have this).

I'm sure there are more, but these are standard DVR features that your software falls woefully short on.
All good suggestions, and I entirely agree, we should have those features. We are actively working on some of those, and in time we will be able to implement others. We have limited resources for a company of our size (we are less than 10 people), but we try to do what we can.

JediWing

Post by JediWing »

Ned,

Thank you for being so transparent.

It must be very frustrating since it seems that the product is essentially ready to go, but either supply chain issues or cablecard validation issues have been stumbling blocks at various points in the development.

MY question is: given that you've been a bit transparentn when supply chain issues in the past, this sounds like, at this point, it may be more a political issue than any kind of product development issue.

My biggest fear is that some of your DRM "partners" may be intentionally slow-walking validation in the hopes that they can turn your product into vaporware while they try to run out the clock on CableCard technology.

If this is the case, would individual consumers reaching out to the FCC or other regulatory authorities help in any way to unblock some of your issues?

If the validation process is operating in good faith, and real issues are consistently being found, could hiring a candidate to formally validate the codebase perhaps help?

Thanks again for being so communicative.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Nothing like that. Granted, the way CableCARD is set up certainly doesn't make things easy, but no one is specifically trying to stop us.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

I just wish you had three tuner versions still for sale. I have one, but could use two. I'd rather have the 6 tuner, but this would work. I'm looking to get rid of two cable boxes for my mother (in an in law apartment in our house), but to do that, I need more tuners.

urbnsr

Post by urbnsr »

ctviggen wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 am
I just wish you had three tuner versions still for sale. I have one, but could use two. I'd rather have the 6 tuner, but this would work. I'm looking to get rid of two cable boxes for my mother (in an in law apartment in our house), but to do that, I need more tuners.
This is mostly the reason I came here today. I have the SD three tuner version and a couple cable boxes around. I would like to return the cable boxes and save a little monthly fee from them, but I would then not have a backup if the SD 3 tuner failed. I realize there is a used market, but would rather buy new/new stock.

lgspencer

Post by lgspencer »

NedS
I’m eagerly awaiting the new Prime6, but your AppleTV app comments are also intriguing. I’m using Channels app today, which is pretty good, but would welcome an SD native app. How insurmountable is the Apple TVOS issue? Do you think there will be an SD AppleTV app?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Last week, they added an Apple TV app as a stretch goal for the Kickstarter, and that goal was met.