prime 6

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Re: prime 6

Post by Keenan »

CableCARD, the beginning of the end, seemingly much closer to the end than ever before.

From zatznotfunny.com
https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-09/cablecard-is-dead/

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

Just saw that about cablecard and was going to post here. That's the end of this product before it even got out. Anyway, what's really crazy is I just pulled the cablecard out of my Sony HD 32inch tube! TV yesterday. The tv and cablecard was still working but I had a guy picking up junk and I finally caved and told him to take it. Replaced it with 43 inch insignia fire tv. (exercise room tv)

Keenan

Post by Keenan »

rmalbers wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:59 am Just saw that about cablecard and was going to post here. That's the end of this product before it even got out. Anyway, what's really crazy is I just pulled the cablecard out of my Sony HD 32inch tube! TV yesterday. The tv and cablecard was still working but I had a guy picking up junk and I finally caved and told him to take it. Replaced it with 43 inch insignia fire tv. (exercise room tv)
Yes, it's hard to imagine SD will expend resources on a technology that has been officially sunsetted.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

Keenan wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:51 pm Yes, it's hard to imagine SD will expend resources on a technology that has been officially sunsetted.
Give it a week or two before jumping to any conclusions. There's a certain well known manufacturer of consumer CableCARD DVRs with a full staff of very experienced lawyers. I would be surprised if they weren't already working on it.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Ken.F wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Keenan wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:51 pm Yes, it's hard to imagine SD will expend resources on a technology that has been officially sunsetted.
Give it a week or two before jumping to any conclusions. There's a certain well known manufacturer of consumer CableCARD DVRs with a full staff of very experienced lawyers. I would be surprised if they weren't already working on it.
It will probably cost them more to fight this ... than to offer a Streaming Service.

shspvr

Post by shspvr »

LoL your too funny we all know it more about Media Lobbyists working to curb copyright infringement across all from of media.
Last edited by shspvr on Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keenan

Post by Keenan »

TiVo? I doubt it, maybe several years ago but TiVo is not the same company it was back in the day and today they don't really seem to be too interested in consumer hardware anymore.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

Ya, if they had anything to say or could do about it the FCC decision would have never happened. Companies always have information about decisions like this before they are announced and have to decide if they can or want to try to do anything about it. I'm sure SD knew about it ahead of time also. The SD CEO has been in the business a long time and would have to have enough industry connections to know about it when the idea come up.
Last edited by rmalbers on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

rmalbers wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:15 pm I'm sure SD knew about it ahead of time also.
Nope, we read about it on the news like everyone else.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

That really surprises me, your CEO has been around a long time (unless something happened I didn't hear about). BTW: Has your CEO said he didn't know about it or you guys didn't know about it.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

rmalbers wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:28 pm That really surprises me, your CEO has been around a long time (unless something happened I didn't hear about). BTW: Has your CEO said he didn't know about it or you guys didn't know about it.
None of us knew about this before hand. The FCC doesn't have any kind of "inside line" like that. When they decide something like this, it becomes public record and everyone knows about it at the same time.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

I have to say, someone has an inside line, the FCC didn't come up with this on their own!!! I would bet 99% of the people that work at the FCC couldn't tell you what a cable card is, LOL! Edit: let me change that to 99.9%