Broadcast Radio Support

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
inmanrp

Broadcast Radio Support

Post by inmanrp »

Support for AM/FM radio would be a welcome addition. Just like for over-the-air TV broadcasts, a SiliconDust terrestrial radio tuner could provide useful functions for place & time shifting. For some, the same antenna infrastructure in use for TV reception could do double-duty for radio.

plnota

Re: Broadcast Radio Support

Post by plnota »

I'd totally purchase a network-based radio tuner. AM+FM+HD Radio

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

I asked about this a while ago. AM/FM is analog and SD has never built an analog tuner, so their interest in providing support for AM/FM was understandably super low. HD radio requires licensing fees to be paid and I sure don't blame them for not wanting to pay them.

I built a network FM tuner using a Raspberry Pi and an FM tuner module that would accept serial commands for tuning. I also needed a USB sound card to ingest the audio for VLC to stream RTP on my home network. I have no way of recording at the moment, but I can listen using VLC on any of my devices.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I looked into what it would take to do HD Radio years ago. It's not just that there's licensing involved, it's also that the terms of the licensing have a bunch of BS in them like not being able to record or have unprotected digital outputs. Basically made an application like this impossible/useless.

spotter

Post by spotter »

hd radio decoding via software defined radio exists for years

https://github.com/theori-io/nrsc5

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

It exists as source code, which is legally protected as speech in this country. Compile it into a binary and there are problems with it that can't be discussed on this forum due to the rules.