Future Features

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Future Features

Post by dcalder »

FYI:

I do not need the autodelete feature to remove old or unwatched programs after a set time that others have proposed. I find it easy to delete old shows quickly
I would like the ability to designate recordings to go to a specific folder so "she who must be obeyed" and I can have our own folder of shows to watch. She and I almost always watch different shows.

I like the current folder listings as is (other have requested changes): All, Shows, Movies in that order. Custom folders, if provided as a feature, can be at the bottom.

I would also like a product that uses the same copy-once capability that T>>O uses. I know that would mean that only one device could play a DRM show (perhaps even only showing on just the same device it was recorded on) but to me it would be better than waiting longer for getting full unlimited play on any device. Unless that is not the issue with DRM recordings.

Thanks for considering.

Dave

The_Jonathan
Device ID: 10715F9E

Re: Future Features

Post by The_Jonathan »

+1 for custom folder at the bottom. To be able to throw kids shows down there would be good.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Would a "tag" or filter work? For example, if you are viewing all recordings, you could filter by recordings that had been flagged as "Bob's shows" or "Janet's shows", kind of like how you can filter by TV shows, movies, and sports?

dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Post by dcalder »

Personally, just the custom folder would work for me, but I can see the need for multiple folders in a larger family or co-living arrangement.

The tags would be ok to add during the recording selection, but I would have to advise my user community how to filter on a tag. As odd as it sounds, that extra step might actually be a problem for some people to learn (god knows how they've managed to survive this world for this long).

Perhaps a limited number of custom tags that are shown across the top of the recorded library so that the person can just select the tag (their name, likely) to see their shows. They might be able to understand that.

The_Jonathan
Device ID: 10715F9E

Post by The_Jonathan »

Not sure about tags filters system for young kids. Like dcalder said, users need to know how to do it. Custom folders is an easy use, only 1 person needs to know how to send shows/movie to the folder and the rest of the household can easily find them with little extra knowledge,

shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Post by shawn_75 »

A user account interface similar to what Netflix uses would be nice. You could designate kids accounts that wouldn't see certain recordings. How you'd determine what the kids can/can't see, I don't know. Perhaps add the ability to select at record rule creation. Does the guide data contain ratings?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

shawn_75 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:42 am A user account interface similar to what Netflix uses would be nice. You could designate kids accounts that wouldn't see certain recordings. How you'd determine what the kids can/can't see, I don't know. Perhaps add the ability to select at record rule creation. Does the guide data contain ratings?
Both TV and movie ratings are included in the guide data, as is a "Children" keyword for content categorization. Whether the software makes use of that information is something else.

ohzon3

Post by ohzon3 »

It would be great to see a mute button for viewing live or dvr content via the Windows app. Having to go from 100 volume to 0 is kinda of a pain.

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker »

Still hoping for some kind of grid guide option, Would settle for a way to order "discover" by channel, if it would show the channel number in the thumbnail. Still running Win Media Server in the meantime.

oh, and a way to change that god-awful color scheme.

Will check back in a few months to see where you are.

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker »

bruiserker wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 pm Still hoping for some kind of grid guide option, Would settle for a way to order "discover" by channel, if it would show the channel number in the thumbnail. Still running Win Media Server in the meantime.

oh, and a way to change that god-awful color scheme.

Will check back in a few months to see where you are.
well, at least you got the better color scheme.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

bruiserker wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 pm Would settle for a way to order "discover" by channel, if it would show the channel number in the thumbnail.
You can discover by channel - go to the discover tab and type a channel number.

Nick

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker »

nickk wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:45 pm
bruiserker wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 pm Would settle for a way to order "discover" by channel, if it would show the channel number in the thumbnail.
You can discover by channel - go to the discover tab and type a channel number.

Nick
That's not ordering the lineup in "Discover" by channel. That's just going to a specific channel and seeing what's on. The way you have things ordered now I have no idea if a show or movie is on a channel with commercials, or edited for regular tv. At the very least being able to sort that list by channel number, and having the channel number displayed on the thumbnail, could make some kind of sense, as well as making it easier to find something to watch.

Regardless, this is only a band-aid suggestion for the real problem of not having a grid-guide option.

[edit]I'd also like to add that thumbnails, because they take forever to load, was a terrible design idea.

scotsman19

Post by scotsman19 »

+1 for a grid guide view being added to the app.

The current views are horrible for trying to schedule programs for DVR unless you know exactly what you are looking for. I prefer to browse through the evening and see what's playing. I've found a lot of unexpected gems or shows I didn't know were on that week in the past using the grid guide on other platforms.

Innovative solutions are great and have their place, but it doesn't mean the tried and true solutions should be eliminated.

scotsman19

Post by scotsman19 »

1. It would be great to have a view of scheduled tasks that shows future tasks listed by scheduled run time rather than having to click on each task and see what it has scheduled. That's a lot of leg work just to see if you have things that will be running that evening. I like to be able to see what's going to run next or that day or during the week, if nothing else just to quickly make sure nothing is being missed.

2. On the store side, I would also like to get notifications if there is anything wrong with my DVR subscription. My last renewal failed to process due to an old card number that I didn't remember was on my account and I even got a receipt that it processed on the first try but it never actually did and I wasn't notified that it had failed to process after trying three times. Because of this I wasn't getting recordings for a while until I finally logged in trying to find anything that might help me and saw that it had failed.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Our shop site does send e-mail notifications if renewal payment fails.