Recording DRM

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
davefoc

Re: Recording DRM

Post by davefoc »

I just found out that you can't record DRM protected programs. I did an experiment a few years ago that convinced me that this was working so I didn't check to make sure it was working now. Nuts. Not sure how I screwed up that experiment. The point of it was to prove HDHomeRun DVR would work for us. I must have been confused but I don't know how it happened.

I just took a look at the alternatives and none of them seem great. I am not looking for a science project. Right now I'm down to two solutions:
1. Keep our old Win 7 WMC machine limping along until HDHomerun DVR software can record DRM protected material.
2. Try getting WMC to run under Win 10 on our new machine. It seems more straightforward than it has been in the past to do that.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

#1 is the only thing that can work for recording DRM protected channels with a prime... the 2nd would use such an old version of windows 10 that windows 7 would still be better. From your other post make sure you know what DRM is as you may have been referring to encrypted channels and not DRM protected channels.

simas

Post by simas »

GhostPeter wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:54 am
NedS wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 pm
Proof of concept was already done on this earlier this year.
5 years in and just now you have a proof of concept?

This is laughable. Be honest with your paying customers.
So you have been paying monthly fees for your Prime to Silicondust all these years??? Really?? or you have some parallel universe in which newly offered DVR service stated DRM recording out of the box now ?? Neither is really, Prime did not come with any monthly fees nor DVR service ever stated current support for DRM recording.

I understand the impatience (and share it) however people should just stop with made up fantasies of what they are entitled to...

SD was very clear and upfront regarding what they product do and do not (at least yet). you are welcome to use the products or not use it, leaving the childish insults and victim play somewhere else.

you are entitled to your opinion , you are just not entitled to your own facts..

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

simas wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:26 am
GhostPeter wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:54 am
NedS wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 pm
Proof of concept was already done on this earlier this year.
5 years in and just now you have a proof of concept?

This is laughable. Be honest with your paying customers.
So you have been paying monthly fees for your Prime to Silicondust all these years??? Really?? or you have some parallel universe in which newly offered DVR service stated DRM recording out of the box now ?? Neither is really, Prime did not come with any monthly fees nor DVR service ever stated current support for DRM recording.

I understand the impatience (and share it) however people should just stop with made up fantasies of what they are entitled to...

SD was very clear and upfront regarding what they product do and do not (at least yet). you are welcome to use the products or not use it, leaving the childish insults and victim play somewhere else.

you are entitled to your opinion , you are just not entitled to your own facts..
I don't think people are being impatient as much as they are discouraged. DRM Recording implementation has been a loooooooooong time in the making. There's no denying that.