atsc 3.0

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
spud

atsc 3.0

Post by spud » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:56 am

What are the plans? My locals will start broadcasting in the next year?

nfodiz

Re: atsc 3.0

Post by nfodiz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 pm

I am also in an area where ATSC 3.0 is due to go live this year (Raleigh NC) and would also like to know if there is a new HDHomeRun in the works. Are you guys looking for BETA testers for new hardware?

Bill

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:28 pm

We're keeping an eye on things. Right now I believe the count is at 4 stations on air in the entire country, and only one of them is carrying something that isn't just a simulcast of programming that is already available on a traditional ATSC broadcast. There's been some talk of other stations that are planning to go on air, but talk is cheap, and equipment upgrades are not, so we'll see how many actually do it.

spud

Post by spud » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm

At CES, it was announced that 3.0 will be implemented in the top 61 markets by the end of the year.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/next-ge ... e-excited/

[removed by moderator]

Captinkirk

Post by Captinkirk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm in Phoenix and would love an ATSC 3.0 Tuner from SiliconDust now. Not sure what the plans are but SD seems to be silent.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:18 pm

Captinkirk wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:16 pm
I'm in Phoenix
I moved to Phoenix mid 2019 - great place!

Good for ATSC 3 content as well ;)

Nick

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 am

nickk wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:18 pm
Captinkirk wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:16 pm
I'm in Phoenix
I moved to Phoenix mid 2019 - great place!

Good for ATSC 3 content as well ;)

Nick
Is not too bad.. I moved here from Ireland 8yrs ago.. very different unlike you guys moving from CA..

All of us in Phoenix area waiting for your ATSC 3 tuners ;)
beta testers everywhere - hint hint!

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 am

spud wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm
At CES, it was announced that 3.0 will be implemented in the top 61 markets by the end of the year.
They also said at CES 2019 they'd be live in 26 markets by the end of 2019.
Real footage of marketers when announced goals at CES are actually met:

abuttino

Post by abuttino » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:50 am

I also live in the Phoenix area (Mesa) and can't believe there isn't a product yet.

Considering you are the only real company that does this, please get something to your manufacturer quick. Just rebrand the Quattro, but with an ATSC 3.0 chip instead. It really shouldn't be that hard.

I really hope to read about an FCC application sooner than later

zgtd01

Post by zgtd01 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:56 pm

I am looking forward to your atsc 3.0 tuner. Any rumors are appreciated.

plnota

Post by plnota » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm located in Dallas, and we've had a station broadcasting in 3.0 for about 6 months (KSTR, 4 transmitters in a SFN). Would really like to see a 3.0-compatible HDHR made available soon.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:01 pm

To repeat what I said some time ago (probably scrolled off by now), Saankhya Labs SL3000 chip is a Software Defined Radio demodulator that can handle most of the world's terrestrial broadcast/cable formats and some satellite formats as well. From their page, the formats are:

Terrestrial - ATSC 3.x, ATSC, DVB-T2, DVB-T, ISDB-T, DTMB
Satellite - DVB-S/S2
Cable - J.83A/B/C, QAMB (Clear QAM), DVB-C, ISDB-C

So if an HDHR could be designed with that chip, perhaps it could replace all of the different models except the Prime and maybe the Extend, with different countries simply needing different software. Satellite would require a different tuner (higher frequency range) but that might bring SD closer to making a satellite receiver that several posters have requested.

I don't live in an area like Phoenix and Raleigh where ATSC 3.0 is already being tested but two area stations are owned by Sinclair, which is really pushing for ATSC 3.0, so it probably won't be long.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 am

ebo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:01 pm
To repeat what I said some time ago (probably scrolled off by now), Saankhya Labs SL3000 chip is a Software Defined Radio demodulator...
"SL300x will be the industry’s first..."
Have they started producing them yet?

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:51 pm

I like the enthusiasm but you might want to look at a recent youtube report by Antenna Man on his experience with testing 3.0 broadcast from a testing center. Do look at the current prices he lists on the available 3.0 tuners and the dongle needed for authorizing other channels that are broadcast [you will also need the broadcasters software to make it work which does not seem set in stone yet for Sinclair]. The performance of ATSC 3.0 is really great and seeing it while he drives a car vs 1.0 on a laptop at the same time shows it's strength.

I think SD should wait until TV makers buy a bunch of tuners to get the costs down to where this crowd will shell out. The switch requires the broadcaster to maintain ATSC 1.0 broadcast for 5 years after starting 3.0. The main channel must remain cost free but subchannels that exist now can become pay to play. Whether that will happen is up for debate.

Advantages - peak of 1.5 mbps for a more stable picture in 4K!; better saturation within existing markets with lower effects from planes, trees and buildings. Broadcaster can now fit 16 channels versus 5-6 within the same frequency. Broadcast of additional channels found only on cable like ESPN or the internet like Disney +; will require dongle for authorization but it seems that it is needed for any broadcast.

Downside - Like aiming an antenna at a different market source than the one intended for you?! Then you will get a reply from that broadcaster telling you sorry this content is not meant for you. This is to improve ad focus for broadcasters. They will some how [?] know who is watching what supposedly? So the dongle is listening? Will it be needed for the open broadcast? Seemed like it... may also need one for each device!!?

Much of the intended consequences seem focused on making the local broadcaster more profitable. Do not expect every market to have the same "added" channels. Another question is will there be a dongle or stb needed for each broadcaster? Maybe SD will have to make a multi dongle port stb? Or programs from each broadcaster? But will they let them distribute to any device on the home network and record?

plnota

Post by plnota » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Mediaman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:51 pm
I like the enthusiasm but you might want to look at a recent youtube report by Antenna Man on his experience with testing 3.0 broadcast from a testing center. Do look at the current prices he lists on the available 3.0 tuners and the dongle needed for authorizing other channels that are broadcast [you will also need the broadcasters software to make it work which does not seem set in stone yet for Sinclair]. The performance of ATSC 3.0 is really great and seeing it while he drives a car vs 1.0 on a laptop at the same time shows it's strength.

I think SD should wait until TV makers buy a bunch of tuners to get the costs down to where this crowd will shell out. The switch requires the broadcaster to maintain ATSC 1.0 broadcast for 5 years after starting 3.0. The main channel must remain cost free but subchannels that exist now can become pay to play. Whether that will happen is up for debate.

Advantages - peak of 1.5 mbps for a more stable picture in 4K!; better saturation within existing markets with lower effects from planes, trees and buildings. Broadcaster can now fit 16 channels versus 5-6 within the same frequency. Broadcast of additional channels found only on cable like ESPN or the internet like Disney +; will require dongle for authorization but it seems that it is needed for any broadcast.

Downside - Like aiming an antenna at a different market source than the one intended for you?! Then you will get a reply from that broadcaster telling you sorry this content is not meant for you. This is to improve ad focus for broadcasters. They will some how [?] know who is watching what supposedly? So the dongle is listening? Will it be needed for the open broadcast? Seemed like it... may also need one for each device!!?

Much of the intended consequences seem focused on making the local broadcaster more profitable. Do not expect every market to have the same "added" channels. Another question is will there be a dongle or stb needed for each broadcaster? Maybe SD will have to make a multi dongle port stb? Or programs from each broadcaster? But will they let them distribute to any device on the home network and record?
I think you misunderstood Antenna Man's video. ATSC 3.0 isn't going to be as drastically different from 1.0 as you are describing.

There is no special dongle for authorizations, it's just a standard usb tuner dongle. You won't need any sort of software from a broadcaster, Antenna Man just needed the tuner's software to properly connect to the tuner dongle.

Regarding the downside you have mentioned - if you don't have your tuner connected to the internet, there is no way for them to know where you are located, so they won't be able to lock you out from viewing broadcasts from another market. (they wouldn't require a network connection for the major OTA networks, that would be a public safety issue)

They could definitely add some traditionally-cable channels to OTA signals, but there won't be any special broadcaster-specific dongle/stb like you're describing, it'll just require the tuner to have an internet connection to authorize access.