HDHomeRun DVR - DRM Recording & Playback

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jross-silicondust

HDHomeRun DVR - DRM Recording & Playback

Post by jross-silicondust » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:06 am

With Microsoft discontinuing support for Windows 7 and discontinuing support for Media Center, those of us with the need for DRM support in HDHomeRun DVR are wondering where things stand.

Even if the answer is 2/3 years or realistically never, can someone from SiliconDust please provide information about when recording & playback support for DRM channels will be provided?

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: HDHomeRun DVR - DRM Recording & Playback

Post by ebo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:11 pm

I think SD has learned that it's best not to make promises they might not be able to keep. Certainly they had hoped to be able to offer DRM recording before now. Meanwhile you can hedge your bets by installing EPG123 on WMC, which requires a subscription to Schedules Direct. If you plan to upgrade that PC to Windows 10, I recommend first cloning the Win 7 drive to another hard drive or SSD, then doing an in-place upgrade to Win 10 on either the original or the clone. Finally, reinstall the Win 7 drive and stick with that for your DRM recordings at least until SD comes out with their own DRM recording software.

If you have other computers on your network and are worried that the lack of Win 7 updates is a security risk, then put it and your Prime on a separate subnet along with any other devices that you use to play the DRM recordings. Back up and maybe remove any personal files you don't want to lose so all that's at risk are your recordings.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:55 pm

ebo wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:11 pm
Certainly they had hoped to be able to offer DRM recording before now.
Long before now. Such is software development with hard requirements (with multiple digits of dollar penalties if you get it wrong).
Meanwhile you can hedge your bets by installing EPG123 on WMC
The OP should be aware that unless they have an enterprise license software subscription they will not get any security updates after Jan 2020. I don't think anyone of any competency would recommend running W7 after Jan 2020 in good conscious.

Yes, that does leave the WMC crowd between a rock and hard place if their provider requires fully protected path support. But they need to make their own fully informed decisions.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:22 pm

gtb wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:55 pm

The OP should be aware that unless they have an enterprise license software subscription they will not get any security updates after Jan 2020. I don't think anyone of any competency would recommend running W7 after Jan 2020 in good conscious.

Yes, that does leave the WMC crowd between a rock and hard place if their provider requires fully protected path support. But they need to make their own fully informed decisions.
If it is a dedicated DVR, then this isn't a serious issue, and yes lots of competency. Windows 7 will be with us for some time - it is still 25% of PC market share. I funded the kickstarter so I could replace my W7 WMC + Prime with DRM channels with a HDHR DVR + Prime with DRM, so very disappointed to still be in this situation relative to DRM. But I would sure recommend EPG123 and continuing with WMC sans security updates compared to ordering a cable company DVR or a ****.

improwise

Post by improwise » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Just switched from WMC to HdHomeRun and I have to say the guide and recording schedules is garbage. Manualy recording is the only way but considering I watch and record mostly soccer games it is time consuming. I wish i can use EPG123 with it . And you can not resume or cue recordings. When another user tunes to a channel it can not rewind unless recording is selected. I dont know who I should be more mad at Silicon Dust or MicroSoft
Last edited by improwise on Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

improwise

Post by improwise » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:54 pm

At this point I can live without DRM but you have to fix the guide and recordings.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:55 pm

improwise wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:54 pm
At this point I can live without DRM but you have to fix the guide and recordings.
We are not tracking anything with guide or recording that needs fixing. Recording is rock solid.

If you are experiencing a problem please create a thread in the HDHomeRun software forum and we will help.

Nick

sysmg

Post by sysmg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:14 am

I am switching to HDHomeRun, but will have to live without the DRM recording. I don't believe you will be able to run Windows 7 for very long safely.

If you have a HTPC running Windows 7 and want to run Win 10 with HDHomeRun on the same PC, you can try what I did. It allows me to keep my old recordings on Win 7 WMC yet use Win 10 HDHomeRun for future recordings and regular viewing.

- Buy a new second hard drive.
- Install it in the machine and from Windows 7 disable the new drive (i think I did it from Device Manager, but can check when I get home).
- Change your BIOS to boot from the new disk.
- Boot from a Win 10 install CD or USB stick and install windows 10 on the new disk.
- After the install is complete from Windows 10 disable the Windows 7 drive (again I believe from Win 10 Device Manager)
- Install HDHomeRun and use it.

When you want to go back to watch your old WMC videos, reboot the computer and hit the BIOS Fkey to select what drive to boot from and boot from the Win 7 drive. Restart the computer and you will go back to Windows 10.

Another suggestion for continuing to run Windows 7. You can either manually change the TCPIP settings to remove the gateway statement to sever it from the internet completely (no access to channel guide). Or if you are using EPG123, you can setup windows firewall to only allow local lan access and then permit access to the EPG123 setup guide servers.