Billing

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Billing

Post by dcalder » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 am

I've enjoyed the HomeRun product since 2016 without paying any additional charges. When you add up the countless hours of commercials skipped, the convenience of on-demand show watching, and the reasonable UI interface, I'm starting to feel a little guilty for not contributing.

I also appreciate the non-cloud options, and the limited use of my usage data, but I appear to be unique in that respect, looking at all the products people accept that with.

Of course it really helped that your team provided me the technical information I needed to successfully push my cable provider back from putting DRM on everything, which allowed me to record most of my cable channels again (thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!), so my value might be higher than most. I got lucky by having a reasonable cable TV provider (shout out to Wave TV).

My philosophy in being a customer, though, is that, when a product provides value, I certainly want to pay enough to help keep my supplier in business, with resources to improve, a reasonable profit, and happy employees. I do this for open source companies, for example.

This is the first time I've ever asked a regular company about paying more, so kudos to SD for being so honorable in their Beta commitments, but I do want SD to survive, if not thrive, to keep the good stuff coming. What are my options here?

Dave

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Billing

Post by jasonl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:41 pm

I accept tips of beer and barbecue.

Seriously though, the best way is to spread the word when you come across someone who's looking to cut the cord.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:34 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:41 pm
I accept tips of beer and barbecue.
Please post your home address for shipment >:‑)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:54 pm

What's this weird tag on the box I just got?
Enjoy† this fine beer*

(*) actually it's Bud**
(**) Light
(†) Enjoyment not guaranteed