Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Post Reply
jmcguire525
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

Post by jmcguire525 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 am

NedS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:02 pm
We have explained before that DRM recording support is not tied (not in the way you seem to be implying) with the PRIME 6. As a matter of managing our resources and being able to fund development and continued support, it made sense to have DRM ready in time for the PRIME 6, when we thought we would meet the 2018 PRIME 6 ETA. Not only for the PRIME 6, of course, as we still have an obligation to develop the feature.

We wouldn't stop working on the PRIME 6 just because of a software issue with the DVR-DRM stuff.
jasonl wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:11 pm
The release of PRIME 6 is dependent on DRM recording support being available, because it would be kind of pointless to release it otherwise when half the country is stuck with a DRM-happy cable provider and wouldn't have a recording option without it. This is a one-way dependency.
Please answer this one simple question...
Is the production of the Prime 6 dependent on having a DRM solution finalized?

It sure sounds like that is the case, and from a business perspective it makes sense. It also abandons all customers like myself that are lucky enough not to have any channels with DRM.

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 14592
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

Post by jasonl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 pm

These statements are not conflicting. Development is different from release. We are continuing to work on DRM support just as we are continuing to work on PRIME 6.

jmcguire525
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Re: Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

Post by jmcguire525 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:59 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 pm
These statements are not conflicting. Development is different from release. We are continuing to work on DRM support just as we are continuing to work on PRIME 6.
I specifically asked about production, and the question still hasn't been clearly answered.

I don't understand the point in making vague statements rather than just coming out with a concrete answer, it is frustrating for customers who have waited a long time for a Prime 3 replacement.

My guess is as follows, and you can correct me if I am wrong...

- DRM is still in development hell, internally you are probably optimistic and believe it will be done soon but there are no guarantees that it will pass CableLabs certification or how long that will take.
- The Prime 6 development is mostly finalized, you could probably even begin mass production by the end of the year (assuming the chipsets are available), but without DRM it is not worth the financial risk of entering production. Until the DRM method is certified the Prime 6 is effectively dead.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

Post by NedS » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:40 pm

jmcguire525 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:59 pm
My guess is as follows, and you can correct me if I am wrong...
You are incorrect.

jmcguire525
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Re: Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

Post by jmcguire525 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:41 pm

NedS wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:40 pm
jmcguire525 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:59 pm
My guess is as follows, and you can correct me if I am wrong...
You are incorrect.
Instead of locking threads and deleting post, why not be more transparent? I'm not saying you should lay out the internal road map or planned release dates, but these blanket statements are obviously frustrating to long time customers. You claim I'm spreading FUD in another thread and still haven't answered the one question I have asked here. I'll just lay out some of the facts, no more speculation, but if you think other members aren't already making similar assumptions that is naive.

- On May 13, 2016: it was announced that protected content recording would be coming the following month. Here is the direct quote from the Kickstarter page...
Protected channel support on Android is nearing release. We will be releasing live TV support first, with recording support to follow next month.
- CES 2018: Prime 6 prototype is shown off with the CEO saying "We're launching this mid year". (An internal goal is to have protected content recording ready by launch)
- CES 2019: Prime 6 is shown again. CEO claims the Prime 6 "is the focus" and "it is coming this year".
- Mid 2019: Prime 6 advertisement on the website shows "coming in 2019"
- Last Week: "coming in 2019" is removed from the website with a note from the CEO vaguely explaining chipset issues and making it clear there will be no further announcements until it is in production
- Yesterday: Jason states "The release of PRIME 6 is dependent on DRM recording support being available".

So here we are today, over 3 years past the announced released date of Protected DRM Recordings, 18 months past the announced release of the Prime 6... If you make assumptions then it is labeled as FUD, if you ask what the heck has been going on internally you only get pieces of the picture.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

Post by NedS » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:03 pm

jmcguire525 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:41 pm
Instead of locking threads and deleting post, why not be more transparent?
Because even the things I thought were safe to say are being twisted and distorted by some people who want to assume the worst. Product delays (and not recouping the R&D that goes into that product) are a huge burden for a company, and it makes no sense that we would sit on anything, be it working hardware or working software, and not release it as soon as it was ready. Unless we're talking just a matter of a week or two for a nice dual release announcement (an example assuming if this would be done at all, I don't know because I don't work in marketing), each product will go out as soon as possible.

We are not delaying production of the PRIME 6 to wait for DVR-DRM support. That is the answer to your question. I'm sorry I can't be more transparent, but thems the breaks. We're not talking about this anymore util there is something new to talk about.

rrussis82
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Conflicting Statements... Which is it?

Post by rrussis82 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:48 pm

THIS is exactly why SD keeps their mouth shut! so the more you complain and cry about things when they do share information the more likely they wont ever tell you anything until the day it is released.

Post Reply