The forgotten customer

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
damcck

The forgotten customer

Post by damcck » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:00 am

It is disappointing that SD refuses to provide any update on prime 6.
Since the prime 6 announcement we have gotten everything from SD but the product we are most looking forward to.
- Connect Duo and Quarto
- SD cable streaming service
- Scribe Duo and Quarto
Longtime prime 3 users that having been waiting the longest for a 6 yet everything else has come out instead.

And what’s worse is SD refuses to provide any updates so we are on able to plan home setup changes.
Example: mediacenter is killing the guide data in Jan 2020, my parents have a ceton 6 tuner. Do I wait for the prime 6 and get them on plex. Or do I pay for a third party guide for MCE temporally until prime 6 is out? Plus there win7 box is in dire need of a win10 reload… or am I reloading win7… because I don’t know when to expect the prime6.
Is one example, but I have many friends with other strange situations that SD’s code of silence is not very customer friendly, downright hurtful to longtime loyal ones.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: The forgotten customer

Post by NedS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 pm

No one is forgotten. We get this question by e-mail, forums, and social media several times a day. Chief engineer Nick had a big list that says "things left to do for the PRIME 6" posted on the window of his office (I assume he will have one at the new office as well) that could not be missed. The graphics/web/marketing company we use has already designed the retail box art and quick setup guides/inserts for the packaging. A ton of R&D has already gone into the product. Every hardware release SD does is a big deal for the company. There's just no way that the time and money invested into the PRIME 6 will be waved off and everyone just forget about releasing the product. They also can't forget about the customers, because I'm a PRIME user, I bug them about the PRIME all the time, and I will haunt them if they somehow don't release it (not literally, since you have to be a ghost to haunt someone, but I will get as close to it as I can) ;)

What this really comes down to is that we were too optimistic with our release dates. If you've followed our product announcements, you'll know that we tend to do that, but we do make good on those products eventually. In a perfect world we would have kept our lips sealed until the product was ready to ship, but it wouldn't happen any sooner. It takes time to make good products, and we want the PRIME 6 to be a very good product.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:07 am

NedS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 pm
In a perfect world we would have kept our lips sealed until the product was ready to ship...
In a perfect world, Silicondust would have had a 6 tuner product to compete in the Windows Media Center Arena, way back when.

replayreb

Post by replayreb » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Thank you for the thoughtful response, Ned!