Copying recordings to the Servio

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
richardb

Copying recordings to the Servio

Post by richardb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Hey all, thinking of getting a Servio to offload the DVR features in my home from a Windows PC. At the moment, this PC has a lot of recordings on it that I don't want to loose, so is there a way to copy these recordings to the Servio? I'd like to do this:

- Install Servio
- Copy recordings to Servio
- Shut down Windows DVR

With the point being that the DVR feature is transferred, but without loosing existing recordings.

Also curious how accessible the Servio is. Can I, for instance, access recordings on the Servio over the network? I often take recordings I want to keep and squish them down in Handbrake.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Copying recordings to the Servio

Post by signcarver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 pm

there is no upload capability (yet)... the only way to do what you wish is to pop the drive out of the unit and attach it to a computer (preferably linux though I believe there are somethings out there that will mount the drive on windows) then you can copy your files over.

You can "download" files through the PlayURL found in its recorded_files.json

Personally to do what you ask, I would opt for an inexpensive NAS over the Servio as downloading 6GB+ files over 100Mbit is insanely slow and it is much easier to move files between things. I would also look at making the windows pc a storage only DVR thus it can serve what it has.