HDHomeRun Prime 6 update? - jco23

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jco23

HDHomeRun Prime 6 update? - jco23

Post by jco23 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:44 am

greetings all - newbie here.

I'm in the process of "shaving the cord", and this device appears to be the optimal solution for me.

however, I have a question/clarification.

First, here is my setup/situation:
live in MD
have Verizon FiOS
I have six televisions: one has Roku built in, another has Roku Ultra, a third has Roku Premier. the other three just have the standard coaxial cable coming, so only getting local OTA feed that FiOS is required to provide. my current FiOS subscription include cable (along with 1000 Mbps internet speed). the TV with Roku Premier (Panasonic Plasma from 2004) has a cablecard installed.

if I was to get the Prime 6 (or Prime 3), I presume that all I would need to do is insert the cablecard into the HD Homerun device, connect the device to the coaxial able, connect the device to my router, and plug in the device to a power outlet. do i need to install any software/register online the device?
with the prime 6 (or prime 3) - would I be able to access my cable channels via the Roku devices through the HD app?

thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun Prime 6 update? - jco23

Post by jasonl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Verizon uses DRM/copy protection on Fox-owned cable channels (FX, Fox News, FS1, Nat Geo, and so on), so those channels would never be accessible on Roku. Additionally, the Roku app is primarily for OTA channels only. Cable providers often add a lot of extra stuff to their channels that isn't present on an OTA broadcast, and Roku's video player has very little tolerance for any extra stuff. If it encounters something it doesn't understand, it's too stupid to just ignore it and move on; instead it generates an error and refuses to play. We're trying to determine if we can figure out exactly what breaks it and filter that out at the device level, but because of the way some of the data is embedded, it can be difficult or impossible to remove, so no guarantees on that.

jco23

Re: HDHomeRun Prime 6 update? - jco23

Post by jco23 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:11 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm
Verizon uses DRM/copy protection on Fox-owned cable channels (FX, Fox News, FS1, Nat Geo, and so on), so those channels would never be accessible on Roku. Additionally, the Roku app is primarily for OTA channels only. Cable providers often add a lot of extra stuff to their channels that isn't present on an OTA broadcast, and Roku's video player has very little tolerance for any extra stuff. If it encounters something it doesn't understand, it's too stupid to just ignore it and move on; instead it generates an error and refuses to play. We're trying to determine if we can figure out exactly what breaks it and filter that out at the device level, but because of the way some of the data is embedded, it can be difficult or impossible to remove, so no guarantees on that.
thanks for the quick response - I'm really only interested in getting one station (MASN), as all of the others I get just fine via Roku apps or OTA (antenna). so i guess this device would not satisfy my needs unless it can stream those cable channels to my Roku devices. I'll keep an eye out for any updates.