Echo Show

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
broyuken

Echo Show

Post by broyuken » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am

Is there any plans to be able to view live tv through an hdhomerun on an echo show? I have one in the kitchen and would love to be able to watch tv on it while I cook. Plex doesn’t really work well on it, is there anything at all that actually works to be able to do this? It should be simple but apparently it’s not haha.

d21mike

Re: Echo Show

Post by d21mike » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:27 am

I use Hulu Live on Echo Show's throughout my house (Kitchen, Master Bath, Office etc.). I works extremely well. My only content on HDHomeRun is OTA so not everything I need but I support more skills on the Echo Show as a good idea.

torb

Post by torb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:59 am

I would find HDHomeRun on my kitchen Echo Show to be useful as well. Might be kind of difficult to translate everything to work with a voice interface. Even if it were live TV only, that would be handy when washing dishes, etc.

That said, I imagine the user base is way smaller than a lot of the other platforms out there. It also is unlikely to be a primary video consumption device for most users.

broyuken

Post by broyuken » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:34 pm

I don’t care if it’s voice or not, if I just had to launch it with my voice and then touch the channel I want would be fine. I just want it to work.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:01 pm

I don't think the Echo Show has an app store like the Fire tablets do, so each video service/app/whatever has to be specifically negotiated with Amazon. I don't know what that process looks like, but if even giants like YouTube and Netflix aren't on there, then I would guess that it's not easy.

That being said, we use open standards and there's nothing stopping Amazon adding this themselves, with no agreement from us needed (not that we would say no, because it would be pretty cool to be on the Echo Show).

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 pm

broyuken wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am
It should be simple but apparently it’s not
As I recall, the Show would require not only an app, but a server somewhere to transform the raw tuner (or DVR) transport stream content to a form it can play (HLS adaptive streaming with the appropriate codecs that the Echo Show supports?).

As a wish list item, it is a reasonable request to add to the queue. Realistically, I would not expect it any time soon (if ever), until/unless the next generation Echo Show is more capable regarding source material (including support for protected path required content?), and/or SD decides to create (or re-license/re-sell?) a transcoding engine (I think it was Arris that had a standalone DTCP-IP transcoding block for cable companies to offer to their customers, and the T-company had their Stream device, both intended for use by less capable streaming devices on a consumers home network (note that the difficult part in the solution is about protected path required content, which is either critical or uninteresting, depending on your content sources)).

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm

The Echo Show has a browser you can use, either Silk or Firefox. I have seen reports of Plex working through the browser, when I tried it, it was very slow but I was able to get live streaming through

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:24 pm

I’ve been able to run Channels on the Firefox web browser on the Echo Show, so try HDHR. I had mixed results on Channels...some 1080i recordings would start payback but end almost immediately.

Didn’t try Live yet, as I’ve just started testing the Show for capabilities.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:21 pm

DebbieFL33 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:24 pm
I’ve been able to run Channels on the Firefox web browser on the Echo Show, so try HDHR. I had mixed results on Channels...some 1080i recordings would start payback but end almost immediately.

Didn’t try Live yet, as I’ve just started testing the Show for capabilities.
I haven't played around too much with it because I have no reason to watch TV on the echo show, it is too small for me try to watch TV on. What I would be interested in seeing is the ability to have live TV show on a Samsung family hub refrigerator independent of mirroring a Samsung TV with either HDHR or Plex or something. Don't have one but I plan to get one in the future.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 am

Channels Live TV will only play 1-2 minutes then cuts off on Echo