Develop your own Android box

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
DRMsucks

Develop your own Android box

Post by DRMsucks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 am

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please build your own Android box!

AirTV sells their player that comes integrated with SlingTV. I know, because I used them for HDHR, because they get DRM, and have to strip out the awful SlingTV when I set up a new one.

I'd be willing to pay $100 for it over using a $40 box with an app provided it offers me something. That something would be...

-A better UI that's more in line with what you get on a cable box or at the very least WMC
-The ability to load other apps without any restrictions
-The ability to switch launchers
-Wired gigabit connection
-SD Card slots and USB ports
-Universal remote codes that allow me to use a 1FA or something else instead of the factory remote

-Last but not by no means least THE ABILITY TO WATCH DRM CHANNELS! Some of us HAVE TO HAVE cable because our providers offer no discount for shutting off the TV, or in some cases actually charge MORE if you do.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Develop your own Android box

Post by NedS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:03 pm

DRMsucks wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 am

AirTV sells their player that comes integrated with SlingTV. I know, because I used them for HDHR, because they get DRM, and have to strip out the awful SlingTV when I set up a new one.

I'd be willing to pay $100 for it over using a $40 box with an app provided it offers me something. That something would be...

-A better UI that's more in line with what you get on a cable box or at the very least WMC
-Universal remote codes that allow me to use a 1FA or something else instead of the factory remote

-Last but not by no means least THE ABILITY TO WATCH DRM CHANNELS! Some of us HAVE TO HAVE cable because our providers offer no discount for shutting off the TV, or in some cases actually charge MORE if you do.
So why not just get something like the Jetstream Ultra?

DRMsucks

Post by DRMsucks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:20 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:03 pm
DRMsucks wrote:

Because when it comes to hardware, you folks are amazing. I have one of the original HDHR tuners and I still can't believe I can plug it in, and it will work just fine. The fact that it still turns on is amazing enough. The fact that I can still watch tv with it is unreal! It doesn't work as well as the new stuff, and I replaced it a while ago, but it still works. So with that in mind I'd rather invest in something you folks sell with code managed by SD. But I get it. It's a highly competitive product and probably not the best business venture given the margin.

...so that's why I'd say I'd rather buy something from you folks.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:51 pm

DRMsucks wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:20 am
NedS wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:03 pm
DRMsucks wrote:

Because when it comes to hardware, you folks are amazing. I have one of the original HDHR tuners and I still can't believe I can plug it in, and it will work just fine. The fact that it still turns on is amazing enough. The fact that I can still watch tv with it is unreal! It doesn't work as well as the new stuff, and I replaced it a while ago, but it still works. So with that in mind I'd rather invest in something you folks sell with code managed by SD. But I get it. It's a highly competitive product and probably not the best business venture given the margin.

...so that's why I'd say I'd rather buy something from you folks.

We'll take that as a major compliment, thank you :)

Just getting some basic Android-based box built with a custom logo is fairly easy, but the hard part is building something to more specific specs, and getting everything certified. As you've mentioned, it's also a highly competitive market, and you have major companies willing to sell hardware at a loss in order to gain market share.

I think our best move forward at the moment (who knows what the future will bring) is to improve our app for the major TV-box platforms (Android TV, get Apple TV going someday, see where Roku can take us, Xbox One, etc).

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm

I agree with the OP's assessment of SD product. But their products are a very niche market that give them a buffer to others entering the market [especially with the prime]. And as noted the stb android based market is a wash of many marginal choices and someone who will give a lower price to gain access to you [but they don't do tv derived DRM]. In my mind only one clear winner if you agree [and I know you do] that buying quality is worth it in the long run. That means the nvidia shield tv.

Everyone uses it to compare to any other, it is built to handle many OS updates [which on mine I think I have had 4 {now nougat}] along with many more security updates and added features. It has it's own forum presence so you can see if an issue is just you or affects others too. Which typically gets Nvidia involved with a fix. Not something you will find usually with the bargain basement of android device makers who design phones as throw away devices. You can get the current 16 GB about 4 times a year at $140 with the remote only. Some notice indications from the FCC suggest another shield version is coming. Currently the HDHR DVR will play DRM content and has limited time shifting [pause play, back 5 min. max forward 1 hr max]. In my mind it should really be compared with mini computers on W10 that are 4K capable. If you can find one for that price?

I would find it hard for SD to compete with nvidia in this area, collaborate maybe?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:32 pm

NedS wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:51 pm
Just getting some basic Android-based box built with a custom logo is fairly easy, but the hard part is building something to more specific specs, and getting everything certified. As you've mentioned, it's also a highly competitive market, and you have major companies willing to sell hardware at a loss in order to gain market share.
If the OP is willing to commit to a few (tens of) thousands of units, it might work. Unfortunately, for one unit, the OP is going to have to pay full freight, and no one wants to pay that. Better for the OP to pick up a previous gen shield when nVidia announces the next variant (which is presumably ready for the upcoming season if you go by the usual FCC filings).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Even at tens of thousands of units that price point isn't realistic. The MiBox and Jetstream can get there because they're using a mediocre, out-of-date SoC that has a full Android TV implementation from the maker, so there's relatively little work needed on the software side to bring something to market. Just going to USB3 requires a different SoC, and gigabit ethernet and high-quality deinterlacing further limit the choices. We'd be looking at a much more expensive part, along with orders of magnitude more work to get Android TV running on it. That kind of work requires a high level of specialized skill, and the people who can do it tend to want to be paid accordingly. The Shield at $180 is a more realistic comparison, and that point is at the volume a name like NVIDIA can move.

slidvendetta

Post by slidvendetta » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:28 pm

We love our Nvidia Shield TVs. The HDHomeRun app is pretty good, except for lacking a program guide grid. The Google Live TV app is really good. It has a program guide grid and we can watch DRM channels, so far we only have one though. The Shield also has Plex Server and client.

replayreb

Post by replayreb » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 pm

^^^
This

I bought five Nvidia Shields last Black Friday for our new house and they have been awesome! I have a Prime 3 on the network and pay $2.50/month for the cable card. We use Live Channels for the GUI. I have a 16TB NAS and use Kodi to watch 4K Bluray rips. I have four Lorex 4K security cameras and can pull them up on the TV using the TinyCam app. We watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pluto TV, YouTube, you name it. The absolute best part to me is the quality of the TV picture. Since it is not re-encoded in any way by the Prime 3 the picture is flawless.