Are there any plans (at all!) to build a dvb-s2 (satellite) compatible tuner?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
rachel_norfolk

Are there any plans (at all!) to build a dvb-s2 (satellite) compatible tuner?

Post by rachel_norfolk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:23 am

I love my HD homerun, especially with Channels on my Apple TV. However, it would be orders of magnitude even better if I could have a tuner that worked with the hundreds and hundreds of unencrypted channels on European satellites.

Are there any plans, at all, to bring out a dvb-s2 compatible tuner??

SamuelC

Re: Are there any plans (at all!) to build a dvb-s2 (satellite) compatible tuner?

Post by SamuelC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Trust me. You are not the only person hoping for a DVB-S2 compatible HDHomeRun tuner - there are many of us also waiting for the day, until then we have to either make use of internal/usb DVB-S2 cards or use horrid china-imported knockoffs.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Are there any plans (at all!) to build a dvb-s2 (satellite) compatible tuner?

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm

I know we've had internal discussions about it dating back years, even getting to the point of having a board layout designed, but there are always sticking points that push it back behind other things we're working on. One of the big ones is that a lot of countries don't have true free-to-air signals available; instead they're "free to view", meaning there's no subscription but you still need to use an approved box that has been activated by the channel operator, and that means producing a device that enforces all the restrictions they want on the service (e.g. not allowing open access to recordings), and we really don't want to go that route except when it's in a product that can do full service with a subscription provider (like HDHomeRun PRIME). Australia's VAST service for people outside the coverage area of terrestrial broadcasts works this way. I know the UK's Freesat has done this on and off over the years for different channels as well, although I'm not entirely sure where they're at right now since it seems to change every time SES launches a new satellite.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm
I know we've had internal discussions about it dating back years, even getting to the point of having a board layout designed, but there are always sticking points that push it back behind other things we're working on. One of the big ones is that a lot of countries don't have true free-to-air signals available; instead they're "free to view", meaning there's no subscription but you still need to use an approved box that has been activated by the channel operator, and that means producing a device that enforces all the restrictions they want on the service (e.g. not allowing open access to recordings), and we really don't want to go that route except when it's in a product that can do full service with a subscription provider (like HDHomeRun PRIME). Australia's VAST service for people outside the coverage area of terrestrial broadcasts works this way. I know the UK's Freesat has done this on and off over the years for different channels as well, although I'm not entirely sure where they're at right now since it seems to change every time SES launches a new satellite.
As you mention Freesat in the UK is free to air. They even use the phrase 'subscription free' as part of their marketing spiel on their website. See - https://www.freesat.co.uk/

It is possible some of your confusion has arisen from the fact the Sky in the UK has had a similarly named service. See - https://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/ this is intended as a way to 'encourage' you to later start subscribing to Sky's commercial service. There is also the fact that some Freesat set-top boxes also support Internet streams and those Internet streams are typically DRM protected. They call this HbbTV. See - https://www.hbbtv.org/overview/

Note: Freesat and Sky share some of the same satellites.

So Freesat is genuinely free and I have been hoping for a HDHomeRun for DVB-S2 for a long time especially since you 'teased' it as a forthcoming product alongside DVB-T2. (Your DVB-T2 tuner appeared eventually after a long delay thankfully.)

Based on the number of USB and PCIe DVB-S2 tuners there would seem to be sufficient demand. (They would mostly have the same difficulties with any encrypted transmissions.)

pelowj

Post by pelowj » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:24 am

Hopefully we can get this soon. Plenty of reason for it in Europe... there's loads of FTA satellite services available — For example, here in Ireland we have Saorsat providing Irish channels FTA. People regularly use the UK's Freesat service too to access British channels.

-jp

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Can someone tell me more about these dvb-s2 tuners? I am not familiar with them at all. Do you need some sort of antenna or dish on your roof to utilize them? Do they work in the US? What application are you using on your PC to tune in the channels?

Thanks!

Puud

Post by Puud » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:14 pm

I have been waiting for a few years now. They talked about it a few years back and said plans were in The works. But nothing as yet. I am big fan of OTA I have 4 connect to 4 different antennas works great. I wish they would do a DVB-s2 even better DVB-s2x for future proof.