Streaming service integration?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
CareBearKiller

Streaming service integration?

Post by CareBearKiller » Fri May 03, 2019 12:19 am

Premium TV was great (I know some people didn't like it, but I loved it) and I'm sad that it's gone. Have there been any discussions about partnering with a different provider or service to bring premium channels back? Even if they're blocked from using a local DVR, I think it could be great.

rrussis82

Re: Streaming service integration?

Post by rrussis82 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:16 am

Well now that PTV is gone and the last subscriber subscription has run out as of 2 days ago, maybe they can get to work on (if any) the next planned stage. If anything was planned, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in the next few months as their equipment they have was tied up all last month providing the last of the subscribers their PTV and is now freed up for them to experiment with.

But don't forget, they are a small company and have a lot on their plate right now... They are currently working through bugs on the UI beta, focusing on getting their new hardware ready to debut that was announced at CES, working on their 2019 goal (originally 2018 goal) of getting the Prime 6 rolled out. with the new UI back end structure, they could be working on APPS for other platforms. Working on DRM recording. Maybe they won't have the time to experiment this year on streaming integration.

CareBearKiller

Post by CareBearKiller » Wed May 08, 2019 12:05 am

What!? Promoting work/life balance with developers!!?? Blasphemy!

I'd definitely like to see the Prime6 and UI work to come to fruition. I'm definitely not expecting a new service to start beginning of next month. With the general framework there and hardware, it *could* be fairly easy to implement... And by that, I mean easier than when they rolled out PTV last year. Between experience and the infrastructure, they definitely have the capability to do this again.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens going forward. They're definitely showing that they have some smart, creative people on staff and they are capable of good things.

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:11 am

CareBearKiller wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:05 am
I'd definitely like to see the Prime6 and UI work to come to fruition. I'm definitely not expecting a new service to start beginning of next month. With the general framework there and hardware, it *could* be fairly easy to implement... And by that, I mean easier than when they rolled out PTV last year. Between experience and the infrastructure, they definitely have the capability to do this again.
I'm curious what you're realistically expecting and/or hoping for here, as well as what your goals are.

I imagine a lot of people liked PTV because it created DRM-free streams that could be recorded and played back on a wide range of devices and within third-party software like Plex. I think it's unrealistic to think that could happen. Any agreement with content providers would almost certainly include DRM requirements, which would mean a situation vaguely similar to DRM with CableCard. So, may be you could imagine using SiliconDust software on a set of DRM-supporting devices, although it is hard to get broad device support with DRM. Companies like Netflix need to support multiple forms of DRM to work on different platforms, and that would be resource intensive (time and money) for SD to do.

Maybe you accept using SD apps and being limited to only certain DTCP-supporting devices. Then SD still needs to get content. The main, and perhaps only legitimate, way to get that content to license it from the networks. While there's been a lot of consolidation in the media industry, SD would still need to negotiate with Disney, Turner, NBCUniversal, Discovery, Fox, etc. As a small company, it would be hard to negotiate favorable rates, and perhaps even harder to get their attention to begin with.

Industry estimates suggest that the big players- YoutubeTV, Hulu, DirecTV Now, Vue, etc., aren't making much, if any, money. While SD has an advantage that it doesn't really need to provide local broadcast networks to its niche customer base, I'm not sure that's going to provide enough savings to make a compelling offering on price. And while SD could, plausibly, offer some form of local DVR, the benefits of that would ultimately be limited due to the DRM that would be involved.

I think there's a thought by some that SD could buy content from, or otherwise partner with, the other OTT streaming companies. I don't think that's realistic. Those companies almost certainly can't relicense content to other companies. So, at best SD could provide a platform to run the other OTT streamers apps alongside their own HDHR View app. But SD, rightfully so, hasn't gotten into playback devices at all.

So, what exactly are you hoping for?