Streaming Access Through HDHomeRun?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
john7259

Re: Could New Disney Stream Be Accessed Through HDHomeRun?

Postby john7259 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:03 pm

I would LOVE some kind of integration with PHILO. But any of them would be welcome :)
+1 on this!

Has there been any thought of going the other way? i.e. working with the streaming providers to develop an API that's what they would want to detect and add HDHomeRun local channels to their offering instead of SD adding the premium channels. I think this could be a good business case for all involved.

simas

Postby simas » Thu May 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Has there been any thought of going the other way? i.e. working with the streaming providers to develop an API that's what they would want to detect and add HDHomeRun local channels to their offering instead of SD adding the premium channels. I think this could be a good business case for all involved.
who will pay for it? who will pay to upkeep it , patch it with relevant patches against host OS system it runs? The value of HDHomeRun (and the weakness of the SD business model) is lack of recurring revenue. Someone has to pay for development and later support/upkeep of the solution

That is also the reason why all focus is on products that can generate/support on-going revenue stream (DVR)

john7259

Postby john7259 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:38 am

who will pay for it? who will pay to upkeep it , patch it with relevant patches against host OS system it runs? The value of HDHomeRun (and the weakness of the SD business model) is lack of recurring revenue. Someone has to pay for development and later support/upkeep of the solution

That is also the reason why all focus is on products that can generate/support on-going revenue stream (DVR)
SD licenses the API on a per user basis. Using Philo as an example, they offer a local channels add-on for say $5/month (I'd certainly pay that). Start the negotiation with a 50/50 spilt on that revenue. Both companies get an ongoing revenue stream.

simas

Postby simas » Fri May 17, 2019 7:54 pm

SD licenses the API on a per user basis. Using Philo as an example, they offer a local channels add-on for say $5/month (I'd certainly pay that). Start the negotiation with a 50/50 spilt on that revenue. Both companies get an ongoing revenue stream.
… I wish it would be that way. however my experiences are that vast majority does not want to spend a penny unless they must and would scream about those greedy companies , I have seen this way too many times. "can you imagine how greedy these <expletive> are?? I already pay for my internet, pay for my streaming service (Netflix, philo,etc) , paid for my tuner, pay for my DVR service and NOW THEY WANT FOR ME TO PAY AGAIN?!?! just to make what I already paid for multiple times to work together! I am triple charged here! " cue the media for the evil corporations, cue the lawsuit threats under freedom of this or that, cue the letters to every possible regulator, etc.

in reality, unless market is really there and is big enough, there is little value to engage in something like this as effort must involve return to sustain itself..

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am

There's technically nothing preventing any of these companies from doing this right now without paying anything. HDHomeRun tuners are open, which is why they work with Plex and Channels and all those other apps.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”