ATSC 3.0 TV is Starting to Roll Out This Year in 40 Markets

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: ATSC 3.0 TV is Starting to Roll Out This Year in 40 Markets

Post by jasonl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:22 pm

San Luis Obispo/Santa Maria/Santa Barbara is all one big TV market along the central coast of California, but they're far enough apart and separated by enough terrain that no station can serve all of them. The CBS station is based in Santa Maria and their transmitter doesn't reach either SLO or SB because there are mountains in the way. Fox is carried on a low-power station in SLO, and is also carried as a subchannel on the CBS broadcast, while CBS is carried as a subchannel on the Fox broadcast. There's a low-power station in SB that repeats the CBS broadcast including the Fox subchannel, and that one was converted to ATSC 3.0. I believe they moved CBS to a subchannel of the ABC station in SB when they made the switch (all of these are operated by the same company; media ownership rules in this country are a joke), but Fox wasn't included in that.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:05 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:22 pm
San Luis Obispo/Santa Maria/Santa Barbara is all one big TV market along the central coast of California, but they're far enough apart and separated by enough terrain that no station can serve all of them. The CBS station is based in Santa Maria and their transmitter doesn't reach either SLO or SB because there are mountains in the way. Fox is carried on a low-power station in SLO, and is also carried as a subchannel on the CBS broadcast, while CBS is carried as a subchannel on the Fox broadcast. There's a low-power station in SB that repeats the CBS broadcast including the Fox subchannel, and that one was converted to ATSC 3.0. I believe they moved CBS to a subchannel of the ABC station in SB when they made the switch (all of these are operated by the same company; media ownership rules in this country are a joke), but Fox wasn't included in that.
Thanks. Sounds like you live there..

wellthatsnotgood

Post by wellthatsnotgood » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am
Fox as in the Fox Network and not one of the sub stations?
Yes, Fox, as in the channel that airs new episodes of the Simpsons and Family Guy and whatever else is on that channel. CBS and Fox (and Grit) were on KSBB in Santa Barbara, with CBS being the primary channel. KSBB switched to ATSC 3.0. They said CBS would be available as a subchannel of KEYT (although last I checked it was still not available on KEYT), which is owned by the same company, NPG. But there was no mention of Fox moving to another channel. You can see the FCC approval here: https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/api/manager ... a8f824.pdf that it states "NPG commits to simulcast the primary video programming stream of KSBB-CD's ATSC 3.0 signal in an ATSC 1.0 format" (bold added for emphasis). I guess technically from the way that is phrased, if KSBB were to put ABC as it's primary stream, they could get away with not broadcasting CBS or Fox on KEYT...
Sammy2 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:05 am
Thanks. Sounds like you live there..
Pretty sure he lives in the Bay Area where SD is based. But we discussed this in another thread where someone in Santa Barbara reported losing their CBS and Fox, and then I checked and confirmed KEYT was not broadcasting either one. And he probably remembers that discussion.
Last edited by wellthatsnotgood on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wellthatsnotgood

Post by wellthatsnotgood » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 pm

ctbarker32 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am
I am a long time Fios TV customer with a Gig Internet and Ultimate TV. I pay $250 a month. Much of the TV I pay for I never watch. I watch no Sports but yet pay a Regional Sports Tax of $7 and have to pay for ESPN, etc. All this so I can watch BBC America which is only in the Fios Ultimate Tier. I would like to get off this wagon, but there are not a lot of options?
That is madness. If all you watch is BBC America, then buy the Star Trek complete series boxset and the X-Files complete series boxset, and you're all set for like 99% of BBC America's broadcast schedule. And you can buy season passes to whatever new shows are currently airing that you want to watch on iTunes or Amazon. Not sure what Fios gigabit would cost by itself, but assuming it's $150, you'd still have $100/month to pay for season passes. Season passes are like $10-$15/month, so you could easily buy one every month and still save lots of money.

ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 pm

wellthatsnotgood wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 pm
ctbarker32 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am
I am a long time Fios TV customer with a Gig Internet and Ultimate TV. I pay $250 a month. Much of the TV I pay for I never watch. I watch no Sports but yet pay a Regional Sports Tax of $7 and have to pay for ESPN, etc. All this so I can watch BBC America which is only in the Fios Ultimate Tier. I would like to get off this wagon, but there are not a lot of options?
That is madness. If all you watch is BBC America, then buy the Star Trek complete series boxset and the X-Files complete series boxset, and you're all set for like 99% of BBC America's broadcast schedule. And you can buy season passes to whatever new shows are currently airing that you want to watch on iTunes or Amazon. Not sure what Fios gigabit would cost by itself, but assuming it's $150, you'd still have $100/month to pay for season passes. Season passes are like $10-$15/month, so you could easily buy one every month and still save lots of money.
Your solution doesn't take into consideration shows like the current Doctor Who, Killing Eve, Top Gear, etc.

My current plan is to dump Fios TV as soon as Youtube TV app appears on Fire TV and Fios starts selling Youtube TV. Should be in the next few months. I have already installed my Quattro running along side my long running PrimeHD. The PrimeHD will be deactivated once Fios TV goes and I will install an exterior Antenna and use the coax run that currently is used for Fios TV to feed the Quattro. Already have Silicon Dust DVR and Plex DVR running. Youtube TV will handle the rest. I will lose some things but should be able to fill in with expanding apps like Pluto TV. It's really cool how Fire TV now incorporates Pluto TV channels into their Home Guide. It would be cool if HDHomeRun app could expose itself as well. Should save about $100 or so?

What will really be cool when ATSC 3.0 hits is if SiliconDust can have a Quattro ATSC 3.0 ready in the next 2 years or so? I could just slot it in for my existing Quattro and the app would work on all my screens. I really hope SD could come out with something quickly and not take years? Maybe get a bare bones one out first and follow up with a premium one a little later?

Just wish SD would tip their hat a tiny bit just to let us know what they are thinking?

I am a very longtime SD user.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm

ctbarker32 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 pm

It's really cool how Fire TV now incorporates Pluto TV channels into their Home Guide. It would be cool if HDHomeRun app could expose itself as well. Should save about $100 or so?
It is great, and once Amazon allows HDHomerun on the guide it would be great. I think that is where the future will be, in APPS like Live Channels on Android, and the TV Guide in FireTV. Allowing other sources to be in one APP, no more switching between this one and that one.

I just wish SiliconDust could work that out, much like how PTV worked but with other sources in their APP (there is no way those sources could use the DVR though, I cant see that being allowed) one APP to view and record what the tuners provide, and view other sources channels and maybe integrate their cloud service, maybe when you hit record on a P-H-I-L-O channel it links it to that services cloud and not on the SD Software. All one software.... and allow us to view recording from other third party software like recordings from Plex. SD could be an all in one media viewer, DVR, and linked cloud DVR from other services.

wellthatsnotgood

Post by wellthatsnotgood » Thu May 02, 2019 3:17 pm

ctbarker32 wrote:
Your solution doesn't take into consideration shows like the current Doctor Who, Killing Eve, Top Gear, etc.
Uh... Yes it does. All three of those are on the sites I mentioned (The most recent seasons are even available for free if you're a Prime subscriber). Sure you might have to wait a day for them to be posted when a season is currently airing. But I think waiting a day is more than worth it for the savings.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu May 02, 2019 3:56 pm

ctbarker32 wrote:
Just wish SD would tip their hat a tiny bit just to let us know what they are thinking?
SD has been burned by pre-announcing before. Once burned, twice shy.

In any case, if you spend time actually following the silicon (which is what really matters), you will see tuner/demod options (at prices that will not break your bank) are becoming available in the market (the early silicon was very expensive). I fully expect that there will be an announcement when the time is right.

btw, as I recall, there is something that could be a complexifier, in that ATSC 3.0 allows protected content (the A/360 part), which is likely to have a whole set of requirements which I have not thought through (but probably SD has), which may result in various crypto requirements on the tuner device in order to utilize the stream, just like the CableCARD tuners have special requirements.

caddyskack

Post by caddyskack » Wed May 15, 2019 11:44 am

[removed by moderator]

Unsure why my post was removed. I was suggesting a low cost tv streaming solution that would work alongside a hdhomerun connect or extend for broadcast channels.

life_speed@yahoo.com

Post by life_speed@yahoo.com » Sat May 25, 2019 1:36 pm

gtb wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:56 pm
SD has been burned by pre-announcing before. Once burned, twice shy.

In any case, if you spend time actually following the silicon (which is what really matters), you will see tuner/demod options (at prices that will not break your bank) are becoming available in the market (the early silicon was very expensive). I fully expect that there will be an announcement when the time is right.

btw, as I recall, there is something that could be a complexifier, in that ATSC 3.0 allows protected content (the A/360 part), which is likely to have a whole set of requirements which I have not thought through (but probably SD has), which may result in various crypto requirements on the tuner device in order to utilize the stream, just like the CableCARD tuners have special requirements.
I sure hope they're working on an ATSC 3.0 product, it would seem unfathomable for a TV tuner company to not do so. Of course it is all top secret so no word from SD. I like SD products and the networked tuner approach in general, and will certainly be an early customer of their new ATSC 3.0 tuner. Which doesn't exist. Officially.

jr3us

Post by jr3us » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:42 am

Looking at the slide showing all the ins and outs above, it shows a box inside the residence called a gateway with wifi and atsc 1.0 and tv coming out of it.

I am wondering if the gateway will be 'broadcasting' an ATSC1.0 signal within the house to an atsc 1 tv, or if that represents an hdmi connection to a tv.

would be interesting if it were re-broadcasting within house!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am

Converter would be HDMI to a TV. Gateway would be a something that sends it out over the network, like an HDHomeRun.