ATSC 3.0 TV is Starting to Roll Out This Year in 40 Markets

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
daurora
Device ID: EXTEND 10504C45, CONNECT 1040082F & CONNECT Quatro 10712728

ATSC 3.0 TV is Starting to Roll Out This Year in 40 Markets

Postby daurora » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:04 am

According to 'cordcuttersnews', the ATSC 3.0 standard will roll out to 40 markets with completion before the end of 2020; including Buffalo, NY.

My question is: Will my Connect Quatro work with this new standard and provide all of the new features that come with ATSC 3.0?

Please note that I am only inquiring about the Connect Quatro device, not your Server/Client software; since I use another solution.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: ATSC 3.0 TV is Starting to Roll Out This Year in 40 Markets

Postby nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:46 am

No, the current hardware is designed entirely around ATSC 1.0. With that said, the gov't requires that places that roll out 3.0 continue to support the current standard for many years to come.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

What they mean by "starting to roll out" is that one station will be converted to ATSC 3.0 and will carry the broadcasts of several other stations along with that one, while their original broadcasts will be picked up by other stations in the market. For example, in Dallas, the Unimas affiliate was converted to ATSC 3.0. Their main HD broadcast and Grit subchannels were moved to the co-owned Univision station's broadcast, and LaffTV from Univision and GetTV from Unimas were moved to the Sinclair-owned station. Everything is still identified with its original channel number. Net result is that Univision and Unimas are both medicore 720p instead of mediocre 1080i, and there's a broadcast on the air that not a single viewer in the market can watch. Yay?

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Teevio is apparently working on a USB adapter for their DVRs. Will silicondust do the same or will we have to buy new tuners in a few years?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:16 pm

The sources I saw stated usb or network. But regardless that wouldn't be an option for SD's systems as it still requires tuners to be added, just like "we" already do. The other provider would need new tuners as well and the reason they need such "add on" is their device is also the client, in other words, it would be just like adding another hdhomerun tuner to the network (possibly even if connected by usb) and the existing clients can use it as well as the tuners they already have.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Teevio is apparently working on a USB adapter for their DVRs. Will silicondust do the same or will we have to buy new tuners in a few years?
The USB adapter would have to be a USB tuner. So basically they are selling you a new tuner so you can use the existing DVR hardware. No matter what you will have to buy a new tuner.

wellthatsnotgood

Postby wellthatsnotgood » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm

No, the current hardware is designed entirely around ATSC 1.0. With that said, the gov't requires that places that roll out 3.0 continue to support the current standard for many years to come.
They only require the primary channel to be available on ATSC 1.0. We've already seen channel losses in Santa Barbara from them transitioning KSBB (which carried Fox on a subchannel) to ATSC 3.0.

daurora
Device ID: EXTEND 10504C45, CONNECT 1040082F & CONNECT Quatro 10712728

Postby daurora » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 am

So, according to the information found at the ATSC.org site, a ATSC 3.0 Gateway is a new requirement: (*see Home section*)

It looks like this could be an add-on to the Silicondust tuner, but makes more sense to be an all inclusive device.

daurora

suttonb1

Postby suttonb1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:55 am

No addon. Would need a new tuner.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:16 am

So, according to the information found at the ATSC.org site, a ATSC 3.0 Gateway is a new requirement: (*see Home section*)

It looks like this could be an add-on to the Silicondust tuner, but makes more sense to be an all inclusive device.

daurora
That is not a requirement and is nothing new there that people familiar with the HDHomeRun wouldn't already be familiar with. One would need some device (new atsc 3 capable tuner or tv) to receive ATSC 3.0 and what you were referring to was that to work with an existing TV one would need some device to tune and present such (either a converter-most likely would have hdmi output or "gateway") and they also mention doing such via wifi to view on tablets (i.e a HDHomeRun Device(tuner) that connects to your existing network and be viewed on a client... yes there would need to be a "NEW" product from SD to work with ATSC 3.0 but what they are referring to is already what the HDHR is all about).

ctbarker32

Postby ctbarker32 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am

I would love if the execs at Silicondust could post something on how they see things panning out in the next 5 -10 years?

With both 5G and ATSC 3.0 it would appear we are on the cusp of a radically new environment for TV/Video delivery?

I am a long time Fios TV customer with a Gig Internet and Ultimate TV. I pay $250 a month. Much of the TV I pay for I never watch. I watch no Sports but yet pay a Regional Sports Tax of $7 and have to pay for ESPN, etc. All this so I can watch BBC America which is only in the Fios Ultimate Tier. I would like to get off this wagon, but there are not a lot of options? I am down to two STBs and my Prime cable card. I think I might dump one STB. My other STB does double duty because I use and HDMI/Cat5e splitter/router boxes so I can have two TVs hanging off of it.

I look at things like YourTube TV, *****, etc. but my HD Prime doesn't play in that realm?

One scenario I envision is that with ATSC 3.0, the major local stations could stream their cable news, etc channels as sub channels. I really only watch Fox Business so if could get that somehow I would be getting to the point of being able to drop cable.

It looks like Fios is throwing in the towel on their TV since they have had so many failures and will be depending on YouTube TV going forward? Fios is such a horribly run company?

Will T-Mobile TVision come to the rescue? Current pricing is not competitive?

I would really love a think piece article from Silicondust who must understand this market better than most?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Personally, I'm optimistic about ATSC 3, but VERY cautious. My caution comes down to 2 issues: DRM and targeted ads. Facebook has already done a pretty great job showing us how truly terrible targeted ads can be for the country. And DRM is, well, DRM. Boo.

I don't plan on writing anything longer than that until we actually see how the industry starts growing. Maybe neither of these issues will be big deals. If they aren't, that would be awesome. Only time can tell.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:05 am

Personally, I'm optimistic about ATSC 3, but VERY cautious. My caution comes down to 2 issues: DRM and targeted ads. Facebook has already done a pretty great job showing us how truly terrible targeted ads can be for the country. And DRM is, well, DRM. Boo.

I don't plan on writing anything longer than that until we actually see how the industry starts growing. Maybe neither of these issues will be big deals. If they aren't, that would be awesome. Only time can tell.
Some say the most expensive part to the cable company is the final termination at a residence. I'm thinking this technology may change how cable companies distribute their cable, using "repeaters" at the pole and wirelessly transmit into your home, much like their plan for 5G internet. They will probably use the DRM aspect and try to force you to buy their wireless converter box.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:17 am

Agree 100%!

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am

They only require the primary channel to be available on ATSC 1.0. We've already seen channel losses in Santa Barbara from them transitioning KSBB (which carried Fox on a subchannel) to ATSC 3.0.
Fox as in the Fox Network and not one of the sub stations?

Return to “Future Product Discussion”