HDHomeRun Prime 6 update?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
keithnmikkii

Re: HDHomeRun Prime 6 update?

Post by keithnmikkii » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:27 am

SDL1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 am
I have two 3s but only use one as there were countless problems in Plex with conflict between the two. I put way too much time trying to get it to work properly. So I am looking forward to the 6.
Im ready to buy one 3 from you.

I have a 4 at my house, but want to help a friend get a 3 up. When the 6 comes i will get that for my house.

I guess i need more posts to send MSG.... so that will be working soon.... :lol:

stealthrt

Post by stealthrt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Nickk/ned:

Will this new 6 tuner also have the ability to have an api to control the channels/volume/full screen/etc.

I’m at a loss as to why you can not implement those in the current prime. I have proven you are able to talk to a windows 10 app in its “sandbox” but neither of you two have talked to me about doing that in your end. Seems you just gave up.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm

stealthrt wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:25 pm
Nickk/ned:

Will this new 6 tuner also have the ability to have an api to control the channels/volume/full screen/etc.

I’m at a loss as to why you can not implement those in the current prime. I have proven you are able to talk to a windows 10 app in its “sandbox” but neither of you two have talked to me about doing that in your end. Seems you just gave up.
As for volume/full screen is it control what by app your using has nothing to do any Tuner

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm

stealthrt wrote:
Nickk/ned:

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. I don't recall this being asked about before, and it doesn't make sense to me how the tuner would control those things. All HDHomeRun tuners provide a video stream of the broadcast/cable signal, tuned to a specific channel through an API. That raw data is then fed to an app, and the app controls volume and windowed/fullscreen modes. The tuner has no knowledge of what is playing back the data.

Are you asking for a way to remotely control the app? If so, better remote control commands are definitely on the radar.

stealthrt

Post by stealthrt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Let me rephrase that. When I said api for the upcoming 6 tuner prime model all I was referring to was since it was new with obviously newer software then the older 4 tuner was. And since that would be the case, also place in the api that can control the Windows app so I could do something like:

Code: Select all

My .net custom program
 |
 V
Web service call for volume up 1 step. 
 |
 V
Silicondust windows app listens for web service commands.
 |
 V 
Silicondust Windows app then turns up the volume 1 step up. 
Another example:

Code: Select all

My .net custom program. 
 |
 V
Web service call for turning to channel 143. 
 |
 V
Silicondust windows app listens for web service commands.
 |
 V
Silicondust Windows app then turns to channel 143. 

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:39 pm

That has nothing to do with hardware only software and can already be done regardless of tuner (if you use the right software)

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 pm

stealthrt wrote:
Nickk/ned:

I believe this is related to a previous post about essentially a REST API to control the HDHomeRun View software on Windows. Or more generally that SD provide a HDHRView control akin to the way some developers used to use custom controls in Windows, so he can essentially create his own white-label app using SD's software.

stealthrt

Post by stealthrt » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:06 am

rpcameron wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 pm
stealthrt wrote:
Nickk/ned:

I believe this is related to a previous post about essentially a REST API to control the HDHomeRun View software on Windows. Or more generally that SD provide a HDHRView control akin to the way some developers used to use custom controls in Windows, so he can essentially create his own white-label app using SD's software.
Not really a custom control per say. Nate has already told me that the fcc (or who ever) would not allow that due to copyright/copying issues with DRM/HDCP. My suggestion was just allowing commands to the hdhomerun app to control it within its own sandbox (like normal) without any dll or external files.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Mediaman wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:28 am
gtb wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm
NedS wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:44 pm
Besides, what difference would it be when compared to this guy...
The two CableCARD hosts (from the T company) used two S-cards. Most cable companies stopped stocking S-cards when M-cards were upwardly compatible (with the exception of a specific Sony CableCARD TV which apparently could just not do M-cards; some offices held onto a few S-cards for those customers).
I have a friend who had one of those sony's and gave up on it ever working and that was when they only had the single tuner CC's. Sony offered no support at all and of course comcast had no idea what to do to trouble shoot... lol.
I'm still using my Sony tube tv with single cable card daily in the exercise area! It has always worked fine after the initial setup (which was a comedy!). It's so old the tuner can't hand the highest frequency cable channels! I don't have the heart to toss it out!