Cox drops cable cards

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Beerman

Re: Cox drops cable cards

Post by Beerman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 am

NYPlayer wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 am
We should have a forum to discuss latest Cordcutting and Cable NEWS.... a general forum would be great.
I subscribe to their email and youtube daily/weekly updates and there's lots to learn about true, cord cutting from them.

GammaDev

Post by GammaDev » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:12 pm

NYPlayer wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 am
I had to laugh at this from Comcast now they offer XFINITY Flex a streaming box for $5 a month when you can pay a onetime fee for a FireStick or Shield.... could be that they might also be dropping Cable Card.

We should have a forum to discuss latest Cordcutting and Cable NEWS.... a general forum would be great.
Funny coincidence. My two-year pricing plan with Comcast expired this month, so I immediately saw a 50% jump in my bill. So I figured I would simply sign up for the same package to get the bill back to reasonable. Except when I tried to sign up for the EXACT package I already had, the online form insisted I had to return my cablecard and get a "new" settop box. There was also no option to add a cablecard (only settop boxes) to a service package. So I tried online chat to explain the problem. They were clueless and said I'd have to call their customer service (during hours they are open in CST). I called customer service and the rep spent about 20 minutes trying to upsell me ("did you know we offer mobile", "how about a security system", etc.) and pump me for info ("well what do you use your internet for", "what devices do you hook up to your internet", etc). Finally I said either they give me a package that let's me keep my existing cablecard (no new box) or I'm dropping to internet-only and that's only until I can find another ISP. The sales person said she didn't have the option to have a package with a cablecard (or even add a cablecard to an account), but then handed me off to "customer retention". After explaining the "cablecard or nothing" ultimatum, I got the exact package I wanted. I don't even have to take a new box- just the cablecard like I wanted all along. And it was cheaper than what I'd been paying for two years.
So never accept the "we don't know nothing about no cablecards". Someone, somewhere in their customer support system does know. Just be firm and don't let them talk you out of what you want. Also never let them lease you any equipment like a modem or router.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:14 pm

GammaDev wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:12 pm

So never accept the "we don't know nothing about no cablecards". Someone, somewhere in their customer support system does know. Just be firm and don't let them talk you out of what you want. Also never let them lease you any equipment like a modem or router.
Retention may be the only portion of any cable company actually able to work magic. Always good to get to them as fast as possible.

scottd2

Post by scottd2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:47 am

nateb wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:14 pm
GammaDev wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:12 pm

Retention may be the only portion of any cable company actually able to work magic. Always good to get to them as fast as possible.
Something I learned after dealing with the local Telco (Ma Bell) for many years:
"We can't do that." Translation - I don't know how to do that OR I don't want to do that because I don't get enough spiff on that. Kepp pushing until you find someone that can get the job done.

Allen750

Post by Allen750 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am

As noted above:

"During the last week, our Ceton Tuner failed. So, I went and got the Spectrum (Cisco brand) DVR."

After using it, we see that the Spectrum [link removed by moderator] internet site "it does it all" for us. Using internet browser (Firefox) or a smart TV can watch and record and set up long term recording of series from any place/device in the house. Our Spectrum TV service provides virtually all the channels (incl. HBO, Showtime, etc), shows on-demand, etc at a reasonable price (by our standards) -- plus phone, 100Mbps internet. Not selling Spectrum -- just info as to what we have in the house.

Still interested in a Prime 6 as it will be cheaper to operate in the long term. But, the Spectrum service using their DVR crushes what the Ceton tuner did from a convenience standpoint.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 am

Key words are "I want to cancel".

That will get you to customer retention in a heartbeat.

neil459

Post by neil459 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 am

Sammy2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 am
Key words are "I want to cancel".

That will get you to customer retention in a heartbeat.
Yep, but the sad thing is that everyone should know that by now. If they did, then the cable companies would see the value of getting rid of the predatory pricing and just provide a good service for a fair price.

With that said, I guess I am happy that some ignorant (not stupid) folks are paying for my subsidized internet.

suttonb1

Post by suttonb1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:05 am

"I want to cancel" only works if you live in an area with multiple providers. Sadly, many people don't!

GammaDev

Post by GammaDev » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:57 am

suttonb1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:05 am
"I want to cancel" only works if you live in an area with multiple providers. Sadly, many people don't!
Well that's not the whole story. In my case, I was telling them if I can't keep my cablecard and a reasonable bill, I was going internet-only. I'd still be a Comcast customer, but just for internet. So they would be receiving less than half the money from me that they currently were even while keeping me as a customer. Comcast can't afford that to happen across the board. They are desperate to keep revenue the same or growing. That's why they keep coming up with new money-making schemes (like basically renting people a Roku for $5 a month that anyone could just buy outright for $40). The same with leasing modems. One particularly funny/infuriating scheme they had was to tell me that the modem I had bought years ago was theirs, and that through a billing "fluke" they had failed to charge me rental fees for over two years. "For good customer relations" they weren't going to charge me past rental fees, but going forward I would have to pay a monthly charge for my modem. When I called their customer service and explained that I purchased it myself, I ran into a brick wall because "the computer says it's our modem". I just laughed (because I knew I had the receipt) and said "so tell me, since this is yours what's the serial number?". The person admitted that the field was blank but that their "records" showed it was theirs. They actually did put it on my bill, and I sent their customer service department a copy of my receipt (with the Serial No. blacked out) and screenshots of several posts from customers describing the same scam they were trying to run. They removed the charge immediately. Even if you are threatening to go internet-only they are really desperate right now to keep income from falling, so they are motivated to let you keep paying for tv instead of going streaming-only.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:26 pm

GammaDev wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:57 am
One particularly funny/infuriating scheme they had was to tell me that the modem I had bought years ago was theirs, and that through a billing "fluke" they had failed to charge me rental fees for over two years. "For good customer relations" they weren't going to charge me past rental fees, but going forward I would have to pay a monthly charge for my modem.
Comcast did that to me too. I had the service for a couple of years without any billing issues and all of a sudden they started trying to charge me a rental fee for my own modem. Every month I had to call and tell them it was my own modem and get the charge removed, then the next month it would be back on the bill again. After about 6 months I got tired of calling them so I made one final call. I cancelled and switched to FiOS.