Cox drops cable cards

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
r75

Cox drops cable cards

Post by r75 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:23 am

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this post, but it does seem to have a possible impact on future development, and I thought Cox customers should know. I recently called Cox cable to make a change to cable service, and I was told that if I made the change I my cable cards would no longer work. They told me that so few customers were using the cards that they have stopped offering and technically supporting the cards. I later called back and they made the service change without losing the functionality of my cards, but they did confirm that cable cards were no longer technically supported by or available from Cox. If anything happens to the cards I have there will be no replacement. Will other companies follow? I don't know, but it may become a problem at least for Cox customers.

tghowe

Re: Cox drops cable cards

Post by tghowe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:52 am

Well that sucks! :o

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:57 am

Unless it has changed, the FCC requires cable companies to offer cable cards for their cable systems to allow customers to use their own equipment and not be forced to rent boxes from the cable company. The only way around that is if Cox went 100% streaming over the internet as streaming is not the same signal as cable.
Last edited by rrussis82 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:39 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:57 am
Unless it has changed, the FCC requires cable companies to offer cable cards for their cable systems to allow customers to use their own equipment and not be forced to rent them from the cable company. The only way around that is if Cox went 100% streaming over the internet as streaming is not the same signal as cable.
I've been told the same thing, they HAVE TO offer cable cards. I'd ask for a higher level of support.
I've not called about mine in a while (fingers crossed) but the last time I did, I had to get thru a number of ignorant support people to find a person who knew what they were talking about.
If they continue that talk, ask for something in writing. I'm betting you they won't do that because they can't.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:54 am

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 am

I think Cable Cards will be a thing of the past … eventually the way TV is delivered to the homes will change and Cable Cards will be obsolete. Comcast is moving away from Cable Cards going to more streaming … Roku … InstantTV … I really enjoyed the Streaming of the NCAA .. did not even use my Primes to watch.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 am

Cox has 1 TB data limits. Probably right now, I wouldn't hit that limit every month as I have a small household but many, many people I know with larger families would if they were not paying for cable tv. So, if Cox took away cable cards and I wanted to cut the chord, I'd most likely go above the 1 TB limit a few months (or more) out of the year which I think is a $50 hit.
I would hope if they stopped supporting cable cards, they'd cut us a break with data limits but we all know that's not going to happen.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 am

Most likely poorly informed reps, though there are some things that deal with the contour lineup that you might not get "all" the channels (i.e. an RFoG area requires contour, and often does not have "SD" channels other than those that are only SD, ordering contour usually requires one get a box which I still suggest anyway for most users, but many have been able to return the box after getting it to process the order, a TA is often even more "required" as there are missing channels that in a non-RFoG area are always on the the cablecard map "mistakenly" points to). Recently Cox has even promoted one to purchase a bolt (encourages direct from t*) rather than rent their equipment other than the cablecard.

If you look at Cox's cablecard policy, they do mention that there are changes coming in the internet (for use of content- as I understand it) that may make them change their cablecard policy.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:38 am

I posted a question on the DSL forum (Cox area) and mentioned what r75 posted and most said the same thing but it looks like someone is going to inquire for their area and post back what they are told.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:04 am

r75 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:23 am
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this post, but it does seem to have a possible impact on future development, and I thought Cox customers should know. I recently called Cox cable to make a change to cable service, and I was told that if I made the change I my cable cards would no longer work. They told me that so few customers were using the cards that they have stopped offering and technically supporting the cards. I later called back and they made the service change without losing the functionality of my cards, but they did confirm that cable cards were no longer technically supported by or available from Cox. If anything happens to the cards I have there will be no replacement. Will other companies follow? I don't know, but it may become a problem at least for Cox customers.
There would be a HUGE lawsuit if that happen ! Because of T-I-V-O users alone !

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:17 am

I see others going through the same thing with Verizon. I don't think cable companies have a whole lot to worry about from the FCC right now so maybe they are just ignoring the law? I went to cox a few months back to grab a cable card, and I got the last 2 they had if that tells you anything. I guess we will see what happens but I would believe that cable cards are about to go away.

Allen750

Post by Allen750 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

I notice that our Spectrum DVR actually works off a type of Cable Card that is built into the box. Going to the correct screen gives its details.

If all the Spectrum DVRs work off cards, no reason to stop offering them to customers -- unless they want to "stiff arm" us into using their equipment.

During the last week, our Ceton Tuner failed. So, I went and got the Spectrum (Cisco brand) DVR. The first one did not record. The second one (that works) was built in 2015 -- it was very dirty -- although it was packaged nicely, they had not even wiped it off.

I still want to buy the SiliconDust DVR this year. It's very cost effective vs what we have. Buying 2 is definitely n the cards.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:51 am

Had a couple of replies and all said the same as this thread, FCC rules require them. If the FCC changes the rules, then.....

One person said:
Every Cable box has a cable card in it. (Except for Mini Boxes)
SO until IPTV is 100% Cable cards aren't going anywhere.
Are they still going to try to get you into a cable box? Absolutely.
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR ... 6-1205.pdf

Allen750

Post by Allen750 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:35 am

I believe that one reason very, very few people use Cable Cards is that there are no (or very few) "consumer friendly", "cost effective" products being sold these days. If SiliconDust actually makes one, the market for it may be much larger than believed.

I think the Cable companies slant the data to justify their business model. Heck, even they could sell us a new cable card DVR (make that profit) and then charge a reasonable annual fee like SiliconDust plans (and make that profit). But, they want us to buy the thing 10 times over with the high monthly fee ($20 a month for our new, but old and dirty, manufactured in 2015, Spectrum DVR -- noted above). Just an opinion.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 am

I had to laugh at this from Comcast now they offer XFINITY Flex a streaming box for $5 a month when you can pay a onetime fee for a FireStick or Shield.... could be that they might also be dropping Cable Card.

We should have a forum to discuss latest Cordcutting and Cable NEWS.... a general forum would be great.