DVR Feature Request - Recording Folder Structure

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jayjeeptx

DVR Feature Request - Recording Folder Structure

Postby jayjeeptx » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:19 am

The current folder structure where folders for individual TV shows are created at the same level as the folder for movies does not work well for some of the more popular third-party media library/server solutions that allow users to combine music, personal video and photo collections along with DVR recordings into a single library interface.

Adding a "tv shows" folder at the same level of "movies" and creating the show folders as sub-folders (tv shows > show title) would seem to be the easiest solution/path of least resistance. Adding sub-folders for each season (tv shows > show title > season) would be preferred.

Whether this is done automatically in the software or through the config file or a even a UI that offers even more end user control, may matter more to others. I'm good with whatever helps gets the individual TV show folders created as sub-folders of a folder created at the same level of the movies folder deployed the fastest.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: DVR Feature Request - Recording Folder Structure

Postby Ken.F » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:54 am

I asked for this a long time ago but it never happened. I found a workaround that makes the current folder layout work with my Plex libraries so I didn't push the issue.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:33 am

Coming from an XBMC background, this definitely makes sense to me. I'll be sure to list it in feature requests. Though honestly, the to-do list is pretty full right now, and I'm not sure where this would fit. It's low priority, but maybe really easy to do... Yeah, no idea.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am

I found a workaround that makes the current folder layout work with my Plex libraries so I didn't push the issue.
That'll only work up until the time it won't work anymore... Plex is notorious in it's requirements for TV Shows and using a dynamic DVR Storage location as a Plex Library is an epic mistake - as thousands have discovered:

Show Name/
...Season 01/
.......Show Name - S01E01.xxx
.......Show Name - S01E02 - Episode Name Optional.xxx

^^ That's what Plex wants to see. Period. Stray from that and failure is sure to arrive when you least expect it.

The Custom Naming function of MCEBuddy handles this perfectly, but it does require you maintain Plex Libraries separate from DVR Storage. Veteran Plexers know to not test the Plexasaurus on this 'cause she wll stomp a you-shaped-divot into the ground mercilessly and move on to the next victim...

;)

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 am

Coming from an XBMC background, this definitely makes sense to me. I'll be sure to list it in feature requests.
I would argue this is absolutely the wrong approach regarding engineering resources. There is already a way to request the recorded metadata and serve the content which is documented (the ...recorded_files.json web request to the record engine). 3rd party applications (and *their* engineers) should use it if they want access. 3rd parties are then responsible for their own organizations, and present it however they want to categorize/order/present it.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:19 am

Coming from an XBMC background, this definitely makes sense to me. I'll be sure to list it in feature requests.
I would argue this is absolutely the wrong approach regarding engineering resources. There is already a way to request the recorded metadata and serve the content which is documented (the ...recorded_files.json web request to the record engine). 3rd party applications (and *their* engineers) should use it if they want access. 3rd parties are then responsible for their own organizations, and present it however they want to categorize/order/present it.
+1

jayjeeptx

Postby jayjeeptx » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 am

Coming from an XBMC background, this definitely makes sense to me. I'll be sure to list it in feature requests. Though honestly, the to-do list is pretty full right now, and I'm not sure where this would fit. It's low priority, but maybe really easy to do... Yeah, no idea.
Thanks Nate. I absolutely agree this is really low priority compared to actual DVR functionality that is sorely missing. I hesitated even bothering, but if it is not on the list, it has no priority and with absolute certainty never gets done. I also didn't really consider it a major ask since the engineers already figured out how store live TV in a "Live TV" folder and movies in a "Movies" folder. Maybe storing everything else in a "TV" folder rather than the DVR root (which is all I am really asking for here) is much a bigger deal. Like you, I wouldn't profess to have any idea since I'm not working on the project.

Since there has been a suggestion to you that somehow available metadata negates this feature request, I would suggest to you that is not the case. I understand metadata. Although I do, I realize I don't have to have my music in folders by artist with album sub-folders. I can put all songs in single folder and the library manager will still show them to me by artist, genre, album, etc. Same for video, yea sure. Agreed, beyond the root folder for a library, file structure is/should be irrelevant. The problem is most media libraries require you to assign a root folder or folders. For the HomeRunDVR and TV shows as it is today, my options are to either use the DVR root or add each show individually. If add the DVR root for TV, then I have to exclude the Movies and Live TV folders. Some solutions allow you to do that, some don't - HomeRunDVR forces me into a solution that does. If I use the individual show folders, then I have to add every show and I can only add new shows after the first recording.

If all of the recordings other than movies or live TV are sub-folders in a TV folder rather than the DVR root, then pretty much every solution out there is in play and configuration become much easier. I never said it didn't or couldn't work as is, I simply stated it does not work well. Hopefully this clarifies my request and how this request makes it is much easier include recordings in third-party media server/library management solutions. Both Plex and Channels DVR's are much easier to work with in this regard with Plex even providing more end user control. Also as I stated, I don't care one way or the other about seasons. That is a preference for file management like the music example above. At least I didn't get all crazy and ask for a Sports folder, too! :)

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Postby Ken.F » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 am

At least I didn't get all crazy and ask for a Sports folder, too! :)
It already has one. Sports recordings go in a folder named "Sporting Events".

I'll get crazy and ask for separate "News" and "Specials" recording folders in addition to a "TV Shows" folder. I checked my recorded_files.json and the categories exist in the metadata. Those extra folders might not seem very useful at first glance but it would be a huge help if those kinds of shows were not mixed in with the regular TV series.

goofnroxx

Postby goofnroxx » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:37 am

+1
+2

Return to “Future Product Discussion”