Stop streaming after no input for some period of time.

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
BobPortico

Stop streaming after no input for some period of time.

Postby BobPortico » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Been loving the HDHomeRun setup for years. Recently we've added some FireSticks and FireTv into the equation and they don't turn off (by design) when you are done watching. My family tends to just hit the TV power button and leave. When you turn the TV back on hours, days, weeks later, the stream is still running. This causes a lot of unnecessary disk activity on the live TV buffer, network traffic, ties up a tuner, etc... Is there any way to implement a feature where you can have the app popup a dialog confirming you want to keep watching after you've moved to the next show in the guide and if you don't select "Yes" the app switches to the DVR menu? Or it could just go to screen indicating that the stream was stopped and press back to resume. Maybe the user could specify the number of shows to watch with no user activity before shutting off. Seems like there are lots of good ways to implement something like this.

rrussis82

Re: Stop streaming after no input for some period of time.

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Or just use the CEC function of the TV

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:18 am

I have a couple of older TVs that don't have CEC, and what I did was set up the HDHomeRun Kodi add-on along with the Sleep Timer add-on ( https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Sleep_Timer ). Now when people forget to turn off the TV, or actually fall asleep while watching it, playback will automatically stop (it will warn before stopping) and free up the tuner. On those two TVs, Kodi is set up to automatically start up into the HDHomeRun add-on, to make it easier for family to use.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:56 am

Or just use the CEC function of the TV
If only all TVs had CEC.

BobPortico

Postby BobPortico » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure there are a myriad of ways to hack a fix but the most elegant solution would be to have the HDHomeRun app handle it, the same way Hulu and Netflix solve the walk-away viewer issue.

CEC isn't an option as the Fire Sticks don't have a power down unless you physically unplug them.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure there are a myriad of ways to hack a fix but the most elegant solution would be to have the HDHomeRun app handle it, the same way Hulu and Netflix solve the walk-away viewer issue.

CEC isn't an option as the Fire Sticks don't have a power down unless you physically unplug them.
Devices can check if there is a display connected, or powered on. And IIRC, FireTV devices can sleep when the TV powers off.

snowcat87

Postby snowcat87 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:58 am

I ran into this exact problem after switching all devices to firesticks. My solution was to get an OTG adapter and FLIRC for each firestick, as well as the new voice remote with power/volume controls for each firestick (although the solution would work with any IR remote). Then I programmed each FLIRC to interpret the IR Power ON/OFF signal from the remote as the *BACK* key on the firestick remote. This way if you are playing live tv and press the power off, it also "clicks" the back button and stops the stream.

I suppose you could also program the FLIRC to send a *HOME* signal to the firestick, or maybe even a macro that sends a *BACK* and *HOME* signal. Although I've found that with just the *BACK* signal, once the stream is stopped the firestick eventually returns to the homescreen anyway.

Works perfectly with the HDHOMERUN app, as well as channels app, amazon videos, netflix, etc. I have seen a few apps that ask if you really want to stop when you press the back button instead of just stopping the stream, but those are few and far between.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”