When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
scyto

Re: When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

Post by scyto »

EddieP wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 am

The quality is so much better streaming Comcast then the quality coming from the Prime.... Comcast Cable TV is too compressed and most are 720p... it is funny the things you discover when you are forced to stay home.
I only watch HBO shows like westworld via HBO app on ATV - so much better pq than my comcast feed.

mski

Post by mski »

signcarver wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:38 pm
If one has lots of clear qam, quatros probably make more sense than a prime 6
Does the current HD HomeRun Connect Quatro support Clear QAM? I spend half my time in a Clear QAM environment and would love to access the service via an HD HomeRun. I could have sworn that there were a few models besides the PRIME 3/6 that support Clear QAM but I can't find any mention of such units on the current website.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

mski wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:15 pm
signcarver wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:38 pm
If one has lots of clear qam, quatros probably make more sense than a prime 6
Does the current HD HomeRun Connect Quatro support Clear QAM? I spend half my time in a Clear QAM environment and would love to access the service via an HD HomeRun. I could have sworn that there were a few models besides the PRIME 3/6 that support Clear QAM but I can't find any mention of such units on the current website.
Previous versions did support ClearQAM. I am not certain if the current Connect (HDHR5) devices also support it, though.

LSExt2016

Post by LSExt2016 »

I sadly truly believe that SD has abandoned the Prime 6 all together. They keep rolling out other products and nothing on the Prime 6, no updates, status, nothing. I just got an email that they are starting a Kickstarter to roll out the 4k Quatro utilizing 2 tuners for ATSC 3.0 and all 4 tuners supporting ATSC 1.0. The Prime is/was/still is nice to use with my Plex and my Plex DVR to capture cable shows I can't get OTA and be able to watch at a later time or archive. I'm thinking the cable industry with everything going online, even streaming cable channels from cable companies, has mostly killed cable tv boxes, most cable card users, and probably with that our hopes for a Prime 6. Please prove me wrong SD, roll this Prime 6 out soon.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

rpcameron wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:39 pm
Previous versions did support ClearQAM. I am not certain if the current Connect (HDHR5) devices also support it, though.
All ATSC models also support ClearQAM, including the new HDHR5-4K.

Nick

mski

Post by mski »

nickk wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:13 pm
All ATSC models also support ClearQAM, including the new HDHR5-4K.

Thank you for the confirmation. Please consider posting this in the Technical specifications on each products webpage. Diving into the 'Flyer' PDF is cumbersome.

shspvr

Post by shspvr »

[MOD EDIT: removed. A question was asked and answered, we don't need commentary on that. - NS]

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

I think I'm out, I'm more likely to drop cable at this point than to get a Prime 6.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Posts that are just to insult the company for not releasing the PRIME6 by now are just going to be deleted, and repeat offenders will be banned. No one wants the PRIME6 to come out more than we do, and it kills us that circumstances are such that we don't have it already released. There's nothing productive about trying to shame us on our own support forum about it.

trakz

Post by trakz »

As a brand new SD customer (Connect Duo), I'm both blown away by this thing and incredibly excited for other hardware in development. The most impressive thing for me isn't so much the hardware itself (although it's awesome!), it's the choices in software SD have made, such that other services (Plex, Channels) can leverage it. It's a change in the way I view my infrastructure. SD makes home TV gateways, something nobody else on the market does!

I'm incredibly excited for the Prime 6, unfortunately that excitement is tempered by the lack of info. I've searched all over the internet, viewed post histories, 3rd party comments, etc. If I shouldn't be excited for the Prime 6, it would be super valuable to have an official statement. If I should stay excited (fingers crossed), it would help to know the reasons for the delay; legal, technical, human, etc. I respect that SD may not wish to share that info, for several reasons, but surely it's aware that in not doing so, customer excitement is turned to disappointment and frustration. As a new customer, I assume that SD employees, forum moderators, etc, all have more insight into the current situation than I do. If that's not true; we really don't know what the hold up is. Sharing that would also be valuable.

I guess it's the ambiguity and lack of updates that are the biggest excitement drain. Either way, when it's ready, it's ready, I'll for sure be buying at least one!

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

trakz wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:00 pm
As a brand new SD customer (Connect Duo), I'm both blown away by this thing and incredibly excited for other hardware in development. The most impressive thing for me isn't so much the hardware itself (although it's awesome!), it's the choices in software SD have made, such that other services (Plex, Channels) can leverage it. It's a change in the way I view my infrastructure. SD makes home TV gateways, something nobody else on the market does!

I'm incredibly excited for the Prime 6, unfortunately that excitement is tempered by the lack of info. I've searched all over the internet, viewed post histories, 3rd party comments, etc. If I shouldn't be excited for the Prime 6, it would be super valuable to have an official statement. If I should stay excited (fingers crossed), it would help to know the reasons for the delay; legal, technical, human, etc. I respect that SD may not wish to share that info, for several reasons, but surely it's aware that in not doing so, customer excitement is turned to disappointment and frustration. As a new customer, I assume that SD employees, forum moderators, etc, all have more insight into the current situation than I do. If that's not true; we really don't know what the hold up is. Sharing that would also be valuable.

I guess it's the ambiguity and lack of updates that are the biggest excitement drain. Either way, when it's ready, it's ready, I'll for sure be buying at least one!
If it was made in USA it would be out by now...... But they depend on China

trakz

Post by trakz »

Really? Lots of companies have supply chain issues. I'd bet some SD customers can probably offer help in that area. Seems like not being transparent on that front doesn't help anyone. I recognize I'm probably naive to the subtleties of hardware design and development. Thanks for the insight.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Rickt1962 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:30 pm
If it was made in USA it would be out by now...... But they depend on China
All of our products are manufactured in Taiwan. Not that it matters, as there are no issues with the manufacturing process in relation to the PRIME6. Once it is approved by Cable Labs then it will go into manufacturing.

trakz

Post by trakz »

[removed by moderator - best not to annoy CableLabs]

trakz

Post by trakz »

[removed by moderator - best not to annoy CableLabs]