When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
gtb
Expert

Re: When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

Post by gtb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:42 am

DebbieFL33 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:32 am
Can you post a link to the Comcast rate cards for us mere mortals?
Everyone has to look up their own rate card (because the offers and pricing varies based on market). Go to https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/ and enter your information to see *your* current rate card (and be aware that it can (and absolutely will) change over time).

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Thank you... :D

slidvendetta

Post by slidvendetta » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:31 pm

I would like to get one Prime 6 since having two of the three tuner Primes is costing us $10.00 for the second cable card.

mikesalz

Post by mikesalz » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:25 pm

After over A YEAR AND A HALF of SD dragging their feet, I've lost interest in the Prime 6. There is no significant hardware improvement over the Prime 3. And in fact, the 3 has gigabit ethernet and the 6 will be downgraded to 100 Mbps. Now that Channels has TV Everywhere integration, there really is no more need for additional tuners. I'm out.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm

mikesalz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:25 pm
After over A YEAR AND A HALF of SD dragging their feet, I've lost interest in the Prime 6. There is no significant hardware improvement over the Prime 3. And in fact, the 3 has gigabit ethernet and the 6 will be downgraded to 100 Mbps. Now that Channels has TV Everywhere integration, there really is no more need for more tuners. I'm out.
Good luck with Channels I'm sure that not be around much longer with it TV Everywhere integration part as you are ready violate your TV Steaming Terms of Service under Your Use of the Services in reference to no copying and redistribution and participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any portion of the Steaming Service Property.
They are going to know who doing what after all if you recording more then steam then they allow by them they are going to shut your access it just matter time.
So unless that TV Steaming service had publish an official made an announcement that it has partnership with Channel DVR service to do that I wouldn't go risk it.
Just look at all IPTV service there get shut one after another.
As Prime 6 only having 100 ethernet big deal name one cable that using more then 10mbps upsteam

mikesalz

Post by mikesalz » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:29 pm

shspvr wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm
Good luck with Channels I'm sure that not be around much longer with it TV Everywhere integration part as you are ready violate your TV Steaming Terms of Service under Your Use of the Services
Not sure what terms I am violating by watching streams that I pay for. Channels just puts it into a convenient UI. It's not like I am redistributing the content. It's basically same as adding more tuners.
shspvr wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm
As Prime 6 only having 100 ethernet big deal
Still a downgrade.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:32 pm

mikesalz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:29 pm
Not sure what terms I am violating by watching streams that I pay for. Channels just puts it into a convenient UI. It's not like I am redistributing the content. It's basically same as adding more tuners.
Maybe you should read the OTT user agreement it should state violate in some of reference to no copying and redistribution and participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any portion of the steaming service property, which apply to PSVue, DirecTV NOW, SlingTV, Philo, YouTubeTV, HuluTV and doesn't in count for Traditional Cable when using TVE as a DVR
Prime 3 and 6 is legitimate way just like when using an analog capture device to record

mikesalz

Post by mikesalz » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:25 pm

shspvr wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:32 pm
Prime 3 and 6 is legitimate way just like when using an analog capture device to record
You seem super smart and stuff. But just FYI there is no Prime 6. Hence this entire conversation.

I’ll take my chances with Channels...

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:36 pm

slidvendetta wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:31 pm
I would like to get one Prime 6 since having two of the three tuner Primes is costing us $10.00 for the second cable card.
Same. Even though it might not be cost efficient to do so. I would rather give the money to SD than Verizon.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:06 pm

PghCordCutter wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:36 pm
slidvendetta wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:31 pm
Same. Even though it might not be cost efficient to do so. I would rather give the money to SD than Verizon.
Certainly the cost depends on provider (and market), but as I understand it, for for most of VZ, the cost for an additional CableCARD, according to their rate card, is (around) $5/mo. So, lets say the Prime6 costs $200. A single prime6 (rather than your existing two Prime3's) should take $200/5 (half the number of cards) = 40 months to pay for itself. Of course, if you carefully schedule selling your Prime3 on a "new-to you" site (ebay), and now might be a good time, and get $100 for it, you might get the point of positive return to be only 20 months(**).

Most people do not do a full time value of money calculation (which they should do, but it requires doing real math, which includes certain likely bounded stock market returns (which can be done via options), rather than justification math(*)), but even for simple math, for VZ, the returns may be questionable.

(*) That math that makes you feel better, like the more you spend, the more you save calculations at Walmart.

(**) CableCARD's future, in some MSOs, may not survive 20 months, and for others, they might not even be using "cable" TV in two years (some of the OTT offerings can be quite competitive for some individuals). As with much else, this tends to get into guessing the future for *your* particular life.

LSExt2016

Post by LSExt2016 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:19 am

IF THEY EVER COME OUT....I'll buy 2 of the Prime 6 units. I currently have 2 of the Prime 3 tuners but are acting up - old. I definitely need to upgrade and hope the new hardware addresses DRM issues as well. I depend on these for my Plex DVR setup. I don't have good reception for OTA antennas which would only be local channels anyway. I don't know what the delay is releasing these tuners, and why they just completely stopped making the Prime 3's, but there's still a buyers market for these tuners that Silicon Dust hopefully will make available soon. It's been 2 years talking about releasing this Prime 6, hope it makes it to consumers.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 am

LSExt2016 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:19 am
IF THEY EVER COME OUT....I'll buy 2 of the Prime 6 units. I currently have 2 of the Prime 3 tuners but are acting up - old. I definitely need to upgrade and hope the new hardware addresses DRM issues as well. I depend on these for my Plex DVR setup. I don't have good reception for OTA antennas which would only be local channels anyway. I don't know what the delay is releasing these tuners, and why they just completely stopped making the Prime 3's, but there's still a buyers market for these tuners that Silicon Dust hopefully will make available soon. It's been 2 years talking about releasing this Prime 6, hope it makes it to consumers.
I know a lot of people are wait for the new Prime 6
What really sad is our cable company plan dump all TV service and become an ISP only

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 am

I cannot see myself investing on another Cable Card tuner ... Looking on downsizing equipment and just going with IPTV.

Kendog52361

Post by Kendog52361 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 am

LSExt2016 wrote:
...why they just completely stopped making the Prime 3's...
Long story short, the parts supplier making a critical part, I think the tuner, stopped making the part. As a result, there were no more of that critical part available. Since they had to switch to a new part, anyway, that just means they could also look to upgrade, as well. Hence, the apparent 6 Tuner Cable Card tuner coming out. Like I said before, I think it was the 3 tuner part that was stopped being made.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm

LSExt2016 wrote:
The 3 tuner supplies ran out, and since the hardware changed it has to go through CableLabs certification. But you mention recording DRM is important but yet you say you use Plex DVR, you know if SD gets approval for DRM recording, Plex still will not be able to view those recordings.... nor will it allow viewing DRM. that would be locked to only SDs APP on approved hardware