When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
shawn_75

Re: When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

Post by shawn_75 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:26 pm

NYPlayer wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:34 am
The Prime 6 only has 100 NIC I do not see how much stress that will put on any Gigabit Network Switch... A Quatro will probably stress the Network more.
I'm thinking more about the processing power of the switch to manage one port being switched out to up to 6 other ports while not dropping packets and keeping latency low.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon May 06, 2019 9:30 am

jamesp wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:06 am

You're assuming a 100Mbps line actually gives you 100Mbps of data. But that's just the raw speed of signals across the cable (layer 0). It doesn't include things like packet overhead. Sure, it's doubtful you'll ever see six channels needing 100Mbps, but how about 80?

Have you been able to saturate your protos in the lab with six streams at say 15Mbps to see if they can handle it? Your response sounds a bit theoretical.
:shrug: I'm not an engineer working on it. I can only repeat what I'm told.

MNSearcher

Post by MNSearcher » Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 pm

So tonight I discovered one of my Primes had decided to crap out on my. It runs for a minute then reboots.....

Now I'm down to 3 tuners...when the hell is the Prime 6 coming out? i'm losing recordings now...what the heck is the status of the Prime 6 ???

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

With Direct TV rolling out live 4K sports and Xfinity won't be far behind ! Is this box be able to handle 4K

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Tue May 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Rickt1962 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm
With Direct TV rolling out live 4K sports and Xfinity won't be far behind ! Is this box be able to handle 4K
The box doesn't "handle" anything. It simply passes along the stream exactly as it comes from your cable company. If your cable company offers 4K channels, then the Prime will receive them. Whether you have the software to view them is something else (which in reality shouldn't be a problem).

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue May 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Rickt1962 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm
Except for a few stunts, 4K is expected to be delivered on most cable systems via IPTV (so CableCARD tuners such as the Prime6 are not relevant). Comcast had already offered a few 4K channels during the past Olympics, and they were IPTV (delivered on their X1 branded boxes at that time). If I was a betting person, I would bet that Comcast will be pushing (very heavily) their 4K coverage for next years Summer Olympics as long as you have one of the supported (IPTV) boxes.

crhatfield

Post by crhatfield » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 pm

I'll get 1 if it supports DRM out of the box, otherwise none, I already have 2 primes with a total of 6 channels..

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:29 pm

crhatfield wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 pm
I'll get 1 if it supports DRM out of the box, otherwise none, I already have 2 primes with a total of 6 channels..
For it to be a cablecard tuner, by "definition" it must support drm out of the box, otherwise the cablecard wouldn't work with it ... not the tuner's problem if your upstream device/software doesn't support drm.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:11 pm

None. Was thinking about doing the cable card thing, but now that Channels can record tv everywhere content. No need. Will stay with my connects

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56 pm

spencer777 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:11 pm
None. Was thinking about doing the cable card thing, but now that Channels can record tv everywhere content. No need. Will stay with my connects
So, you want to pay for a cable subscription, and box rental (since you'll need a cable box for your cable plan, but you don't want a PRIME), so that you can get the TV Everywhere login to record online video streams that are of a lower bitrate?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool feature, but why nerf yourself like that when you can do both for less money?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Cox has an on demand feature via web browsers that sound very similar. He isn't joking about the low quality as Cox still uses Adobe flash. We still get a ton of use out of our primes and just watch some things here and there in demand. If I have a choice I'll always record first. I'm not sure what the plan is from Cox next year when flash EOLs and I know there are restrictions on their on demand content in terms of watching it away from home. It's just usually better to record so I have a quality copy that I can keep forever and watch where I want.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:06 am

NedS wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56 pm
spencer777 wrote:
So, you want to pay for a cable subscription, and box rental (since you'll need a cable box for your cable plan, but you don't want a PRIME), so that you can get the TV Everywhere login to record online video streams that are of a lower bitrate?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool feature, but why nerf yourself like that when you can do both for less money?
Spectrum doesn’t require a box anymore and the PQ looks as good as OTA.

simas

Post by simas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 am

NedS wrote:
spencer777 wrote:

If it helps - I am willing to pay for cable subscription (very low cost when bundled with internet service here around Chicago), but it only makes sense to me if I can control when I can view their content (ability to time-shift/record DRM cable channels).
Real life is such that between home, work, kids, their bed times, there is limited and unknown window to spend on any TV and to watch programs from few channels I care about I can only do it on my schedule.

Without DRM recording available, no point in cable tuner or cable subscription.

Does it make sense?

DRM recording is required feature and I understand why it may be very hard (vs when Microsoft did it originally with WMC in Win 7)

marks

Post by marks » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 am

Once Prime 6 is available I have a bunch of relatives I would encourage to buy one.
DRM DVR recording would be a plus, but at least DRM is supported for Live TV support works for now if they purchase the appropriate streaming box like the NVIDIA Shield. I wish there was a HD home run app for Apple TV at some point.
DRM DVR recording would be a definite plus for them.
I am lucky enough to have a PRIME 3 for watching DRM shows on my NVIDIA shield and I use it as a Plex server to playback shows on my Apple TVs and also to view recordings remotely. I also have a Quattro to view and record OTA TV channels in my area, so that helps provide me 4 Tuners for local channels, and the Prime 3 I use for the Cable TV only channels (recording of non-DRM channels) and viewing Live TV for both non-DRM and DRM.
I like having both the Quattro and Prime boxes since if the cable TV ever gets too high I can cancel cable and stream the extra channels that I don't get with the OTA antenna.
For now cable TV cost is actually not too bad for me with the triple play package.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:04 pm

simas wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 am
NedS wrote:
spencer777 wrote:

If it helps - I am willing to pay for cable subscription (very low cost when bundled with internet service here around Chicago), but it only makes sense to me if I can control when I can view their content (ability to time-shift/record DRM cable channels).
Real life is such that between home, work, kids, their bed times, there is limited and unknown window to spend on any TV and to watch programs from few channels I care about I can only do it on my schedule.

Without DRM recording available, no point in cable tuner or cable subscription.

Does it make sense?

DRM recording is required feature and I understand why it may be very hard (vs when Microsoft did it originally with WMC in Win 7)
I understand, but I'm proceeding with the assumption that DRM recording support will be available around the same time as the PRIME 6.