Lon's interview with SD CEO

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
ctalbot

Lon's interview with SD CEO

Postby ctalbot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 am

Nothing really new on the channel update but some information on Scribe and HdHomerun Prime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHlHvhaXqz8&t=258s

mikesalz

Re: Lon's interview with SD CEO

Postby mikesalz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

The feeling I got from this video is that SD has been too overly focused on rolling out new products and trying to stay ahead of the competition. [removed by moderator - see forum rules]. Consequently, the Prime 6 (announced over a year ago) still has not been released. They can't even make the original Prime anymore because parts are no longer available. They have a streaming product, but the quality is pretty terrible and it has already lost some of the few channels it had. Last year at CES, they promised improvements to their software front end, but that never materialized. They really need to stop focusing so much on the shiny objects in the future, and make their current products rock solid.

I hate to sound so negative because I really do love my HDHomeRun. But it is incredibly frustrating to see so much potential being lost because of a lack of clear focus.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:03 pm

The feeling I got from this video is that SD has been too overly focused on rolling out new products and trying to stay ahead of the competition. [removed by moderator - see forum rules]. Consequently, the Prime 6 (announced over a year ago) still has not been released. They can't even make the original Prime anymore because parts are no longer available. They have a streaming product, but the quality is pretty terrible and it has already lost some of the few channels it had. Last year at CES, they promised improvements to their software front end, but that never materialized. They really need to stop focusing so much on the shiny objects in the future, and make their current products rock solid.

I hate to sound so negative because I really do love my HDHomeRun. But it is incredibly frustrating to see so much potential being lost because of a lack of clear focus.
I don't think it is a matter of unclear focus but rather inadequate resources to reach the focus of the goals set out?

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 pm

I don't think it is a matter of unclear focus but rather inadequate resources to reach the focus of the goals set out?
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

mikesalz

Postby mikesalz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:57 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]
Sure, but with limited resources, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on making a few things amazing rather than a lot of things mediocre?

brentscoles

Postby brentscoles » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:49 am

Consequently, the Prime 6 (announced over a year ago) still has not been released. They can't even make the original Prime anymore because parts are no longer available.
Cable devices go through a certification process by Cablelabs. While the concept of Cablelabs is to get products to market faster, I have heard of products that take a year or more getting through the process. In the mean time, if a part becomes unavailable, it would require a product redesign which would start the process all over again. I'm not saying that I have knowledge of this happening to SD, I'm just saying some things are not in their control. Products from SD that don't require Cablelabs certification actually appear to come to market very fast. Just take the new items being released as an example.

Having worked in a design/manufacture business I can also assure you that 'growing' a business too fast can be just as deadly to the health of that business. They have to pick and choose their path carefully.

Comparing SD's equipment to others, I would have to say quality is exemplary!

GammaDev

Postby GammaDev » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:00 am

Consequently, the Prime 6 (announced over a year ago) still has not been released. They can't even make the original Prime anymore because parts are no longer available.
Cable devices go through a certification process by Cablelabs. While the concept of Cablelabs is to get products to market faster, I have heard of products that take a year or more getting through the process. In the mean time, if a part becomes unavailable, it would require a product redesign which would start the process all over again. I'm not saying that I have knowledge of this happening to SD, I'm just saying some things are not in their control. Products from SD that don't require Cablelabs certification actually appear to come to market very fast. Just take the new items being released as an example.

Having worked in a design/manufacture business I can also assure you that 'growing' a business too fast can be just as deadly to the health of that business. They have to pick and choose their path carefully.

Comparing SD's equipment to others, I would have to say quality is exemplary!

Can we dispense with the "maybe it's Cablelabs that's the cause of the delay" excuse? Don't you think that if there were any external reason for the delay, SiliconDust would give it? They know their customers are anxious/angry about the delay. Any reason beyond their control would be a legitimate reason for a delay and one they would immediately tell their customers because there would be literally no downside to relaying that information to consumers. In fact, it would greatly help their customer relations. The reason they don't offer that excuse is because it is not the reason and that's easy to verify. But, SiliconDust, prove me wrong. If it really is CableLab's fault for the delay, then tell us that. Just be sure to include a copy of your submission forms. The forms can be redacted all you want as long as they clearly show the product and date.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 pm

It was clearly obvious fromTed Head's comments that development had ceased and it the Prime 6 hadn't been submitted for certification.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm

It was clearly obvious fromTed Head's comments that development had ceased and it the Prime 6 hadn't been submitted for certification.
+1

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm

It was also stated that he is a user and wants it released, but later in the interview he stated he and nick have a prototype at their homes. So there was no sense of urgency to get it out as they have a working version in their homes.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 pm

It was also stated that he is a user and wants it released, but later in the interview he stated he and nick have a prototype at their homes. So there was no sense of urgency to get it out as they have a working version in their homes.
Quite possible he can record DRM, as well. :P

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Quite possible he can record DRM, as well. :P
No doubt at all.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”