Lon interview with SD ...Prime 6 looks a long way away ..

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Jsherman

Re: Lon interview with SD ...Prime 6 looks a long way away ..

Postby Jsherman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Link to YT video at the moment when they start talking about the 6 tuner Prime.

https://youtu.be/zHlHvhaXqz8?t=917

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:02 am

To add to my earlier point:
Nielsen: 16M U.S. homes now get TV over-the-air, a 48% increase over past 8 years
Sarah Perez@sarahintampa / 23 hours ago

The number of U.S. households without a traditional cable or satellite TV subscription that instead receive broadcast stations using a digital antenna has jumped by nearly 50 percent over the past 8 years to reach 16 million homes, according to a new report from Nielsen. Today, 14 percent of all U.S. TV households are watching television over the air, it found.
Full article: Nielsen: 16M U.S. homes now get TV over-the-air, a 48% increase over past 8 years

Maybe SD's reading the tea leaves and thinking "Hmmm..."

GammaDev

Postby GammaDev » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 am

To add to my earlier point:
Nielsen: 16M U.S. homes now get TV over-the-air, a 48% increase over past 8 years
Sarah Perez@sarahintampa / 23 hours ago

The number of U.S. households without a traditional cable or satellite TV subscription that instead receive broadcast stations using a digital antenna has jumped by nearly 50 percent over the past 8 years to reach 16 million homes, according to a new report from Nielsen. Today, 14 percent of all U.S. TV households are watching television over the air, it found.
Full article: Nielsen: 16M U.S. homes now get TV over-the-air, a 48% increase over past 8 years

Maybe SD's reading the tea leaves and thinking "Hmmm..."
But here's the deal: the cord-shaving market, while smaller, isn't insignificant. SiliconDust can essentially own that market with their modest resources. But even with having an almost monopoly on the market, they are struggling to support their existing products and customers. So what makes them think they have the resources or expertise to compete against companies that literally have billions to throw at the problem? Amazon, Youtube, and Apple can easily afford to lose billions every year for multiple years in order to own the cord cutter market. Do you think SiliconDust has any leverage when negotiating with cable channels compared to that? Let's face it, Premium did not launch well. I can think of many a marriage that would have ended in divorce if the husband's fancy new system for getting rid of cable ended up in the household losing the Hallmark Channel over Christmas. "But, Honey, they gave us a ten dollar credit!" "Yeah, I'll be at my sister's". Going from being the big fish in a tiny pond to being plankton in the ocean in the hopes of not getting eating by a whale and working your way up the food chain rarely works out for niche companies like SD. Kickstarter and bankruptcy courts are littered with the burnt out husks of companies and ideas predicated on "If we can just get 5% of Amazon's/eBay's/Apple's/Youtube's business". It's like a local deli who has a small, but steady clientele looks at the new Walmart opening up and says "Hey, they get 90% of the business in town! I'm going to totally ignore my regular customers and start selling random stuff in bulk. If I just get a small fraction of their business, I'll be set up for life!"

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am

On the gripping hand: One might reasonable suspect cord-cutters are exactly the kind of subscription TV subscribers that would be most likely to think outside the box and buy a Prime 6. Thus, as cord-cutting accelerates, SD's market for Prime 6 devices shrinks even more quickly.
I'm fairly confused by your point, actually. If cord cutters are exactly the kind of people to think outside the box and buy a prime 6, why would the prime 6 market shrink? If anything, you'd think as more and more people consider cord cutting as an option, the number of potential Prime 6 buyers would actually grow, either because they weren't satisfied with the cord cutting experience or weren't comfortable cutting whole hog and instead preferred cord shaving.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter. The Prime 6 is very much at the top of the tray right now.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 am

I'm fairly confused by your point, actually. If cord cutters are exactly the kind of people to think outside the box and buy a prime 6, why would the prime 6 market shrink?
Because they're cord-cutters. They wouldn't be on cable any more. They wouldn't need a Prime 6. They'd need CONNECTs and PTV.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Cord cutting+OTT content is an option for a lot of people, but we know there's still a big market of cord shavers available for PRIME 6, just as there was for the original PRIME. Cable is still a reasonable option at a reasonable price for a lot of people, at least once you cut out the insane fees for equipment rentals. Replace $50 a month in equipment rentals back with $2 for a CableCARD and it suddenly becomes price-competitive with having high end internet and multiple streaming services just to get the channels you want, especially if you're with a provider that has a decent bundle discount for combining TV and internet. There really isn't any option for that market right now, and that's where PRIME 6 slots in.

rmalbers

Postby rmalbers » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 am

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Allen750

Postby Allen750 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:25 am

...There really isn't any option for that market right now, and that's where PRIME 6 slots in.
True for our family. We must be able to schedule and record DRM off cable -- a very big deal to us. We can pay an extra $20 a month ($240 a year, $2400 every 10 years) for a box or two from our cable company. Or, we can pay a lot less with PRIME 6 (in theory).

Right now we still use Media Center (which is a pain to impossible to run on a W10 system - so its on a W8 PC). I check here every month or two to see if PRIME 6 is a reality, yet. I'm no longer holding my breath -- but, PRIME 6 would be nice.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”