DVR & DRM / Status?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jsloan2

DVR & DRM / Status?

Postby jsloan2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:51 am

So CES time is here, another year has passed, and my old reliable Windows 7 VM DVR is nearing closer and closer to MS end of support.

3 or 4 years ago i hopped on to a kickstarter that was going to pick up the pieces of my shattered DVR solution left by the exit of Windows Media Center and the demise of Arris' Moxi (leaving **** and their ridiculously over priced hardware as the only viable 3rd party cable DVR service still supported by the manufacturer)

There used to be a forum that tracked changes and progress toward DRM and DVR, but that is no longer present. I see we have some basic FAQs for viewing DRM content, but there is no indication if recording/playback of content is supported. I'm guessing in true vendor fashion if it's not expressly stated that it is supported, it's not?

I'm one of the "lucky" former Time Warner subscribers and all my channels, even channels that are re-broadcast from ota channels are drm protected from the provider (I didn't think that was allowed, but it must be).

Let me describe my current infrastructure, in general terms and if someone could give me a ballpark on when / if this will be (or is) supported, that would be great.

1) DVR Recording / storage point supporting DRM encrypted channels.
a) Virtual Machine (Can run in a KVM/Qemu instance)
b) Headless

2) Playback extenders - network connected playback devices
a) Playback of DRM content supported from DVR Recording server
b) Registration of extender to DVR server
c) Extender software should run on consumer grade hardware / available on game consoles / smart TV app stores.
XBOX 360+ / PS3+ / Raspberry Pi

rpcameron

Re: DVR & DRM / Status?

Postby rpcameron » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 am

No DRM recording, and no idea when it will available. (Actually, you can record DRM content, you just can't play it back.) You can play live DRM content on many platforms, but not all. Still no tvOS client for AppleTV; Roku will probably never have a client.

In your situation, I would suggest maintaining your VM (and keeping a backup of it). [removed by moderator - see forum rules]

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm

No, DRM recording is not possible [removed by moderator - see forum rules]

leerandall

Postby leerandall » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:08 pm

No, DRM recording is not possible [removed by moderator - see forum rules]
I'm beginning to think this as well.

smassey22180

Postby smassey22180 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:13 am

Well said. I am still ruing my W8 WMC boxes because I can't record DRM for premiums. The quality of the streaming apps is just not as good as a recording. I do like the SD app on the Xbox one with the xbox media remote. But until I can record DRM it won't be a system I will use often or recommend to anyone.

W8 no longer supports the Hulu app and Neftlix does not look good. So unless SD releases some long overdue updates I will be running 2 systems to get what I want.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”