Servio and Scribe

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
gtb
Expert

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by gtb » Tue May 28, 2019 9:11 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 am
If that is the case and there is a Scribe Quatro, what would the projected price be for that device when it comes out?
If I was a betting person, I would think it was a fair guess that the suggested retail pricing difference would be about the same difference as between the current duo and quatro (i.e. around $50). Of course, only those that need to be first with a new shiny pay first adopter retail prices (everyone else waits for an appropriate sale date (I think Prime day is coming up RSN)). And SD has held discounts too (such as the one that just ended).

brlowe

Post by brlowe » Thu May 30, 2019 2:10 pm

I have been waiting for this device sense CES and keep hearing in a couple weeks but still nothing. I'm ready to preorder. I have a Quatro tuner that I'm currently not using enough because plex dvr was giving me too many problems. Any new news would be great....not just "Should hear something in the next couple weeks".

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu May 30, 2019 8:59 pm

SCRIBE and SERVIO are in production. We are testing the pre-order process.

Nick

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 pm

nickk wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:59 pm
I take it that means you have the new cardboard (without the PTV details) nearly ready. Congratulations. And thanks for the update.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 am

gtb wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 pm
nickk wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:59 pm
I take it that means you have the new cardboard (without the PTV details) nearly ready. Congratulations. And thanks for the update.
Wouldn't it have been faster and cheaper to have a sticker made to cover the PTV details and use up the cardboard already created, and only change the design on any new cardboard boxes being made?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 am
Wouldn't it have been faster and cheaper to have a sticker made to cover the PTV details and use up the cardboard already created, and only change the design on any new cardboard boxes being made?
Sure, if the only issue was an outside logo, but I would have guessed (and I have never seen the actual boxes) that there was also paperwork and/or promo material inside, just like there is with all the other SD tuners. So one way or another every box would have needed attention. Logistics of such things are a real PITA (and one more unexpected expense before SD actually manages revenue ship). Like a lot of the behind the scenes things that SD does, we will likely never know for sure, but we can make some educated guesses based on knowledge of having the T-shirt (been there, done that, ....).

d21mike

Post by d21mike » Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am

gtb wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am
rrussis82 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 am
Sure, if the only issue was an outside logo, but I would have guessed (and I have never seen the actual boxes) that there was also paperwork and/or promo material inside, just like there is with all the other SD tuners. So one way or another every box would have needed attention. Logistics of such things are a real PITA (and one more unexpected expense before SD actually manages revenue ship). Like a lot of the behind the scenes things that SD does, we will likely never know for sure, but we can make some educated guesses based on knowledge of having the T-shirt (been there, done that, ....).
I do not intend to purchase myself (I think) but I would think there are a lot of current users that are willing to purchase even with the packaging issue? Certainly they could handle that group with a cover letter. Anyway, too repackage all of the in-stock boxes seems like a waste. So leads me to think there is something else going on.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 pm

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:27 pm

When does the 1 year DVR service start? at date of preorder? or at date of install? If I am already a DVR subscriber, does it overlap my current subscription or does it start one year from the day my current subscription expires?

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:38 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:27 pm
When does the 1 year DVR service start? at date of preorder? or at date of install? If I am already a DVR subscriber, does it overlap my current subscription or does it start one year from the day my current subscription expires?
So I am ready to pre-order a Servio as soon as I can get an answer. I don't want to order and find out on June 4 2020 I need to renew when I have 10 months left on my existing DVR subscription. If the one year subscription gets tacked onto my existing subscription and not overlap I will hit the pre-order button.

Do new subscribers that order one of these devices start at the day of activation or day of pre-order?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:19 pm

For new subscribers it will start on the day of activation, for existing subscribers it will add a year to the current subscription.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:51 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:19 pm
For new subscribers it will start on the day of activation, for existing subscribers it will add a year to the current subscription.
Because you just know it will happen (it has already happened in some related signups during some of the PTV history), you should probably create a FAQ entry somewhere, or even better yet something on the activation pages, pointing out that you absolutely need to use the same subscription information if you have an existing account to avoid "anomalies", and if one has problems, deal with them with a support ticket to make sure all associations are correct at the start of the process. Yes, I am sure I am preaching to the choir, but not everyone listens to the music.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm

There is work underway to replace all of our documentation, FAQs, and so on with a new system, and also replace the activation system with something more user-friendly, so those changes will be incorporated.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:28 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:19 pm
Thank you Jason. Pre-order submitted.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:41 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm
There is work underway to replace all of our documentation, FAQs, and so on with a new system
Improving docs (and FAQs) will be a welcome improvement. It is rarely something that gets the accolades, but it is known to be critical for commercial success in the consumer space. Thanks.