A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
rrussis82

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm
marks wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm
If HD Homerun Quattro (or Prime 6 when it comes out) for example and HD homerun DVR were to be setup on an NVIDIA Shield with an attached USB, then is it possible to move the data from the Shield to Scribe or Servio without much trouble or could we also we just move the DVR to the Servio and point it to the recorded data on the Shield USB? I assume only one HD HR DVR can run on a network?
Neither the scribe nor the servio will accept a USB drive. With that said, part of the point of the servio is to expand the number of DVR storage devices you own. That means if you got a Quatro now and used the Quatro's storage, you can also get a Scribe or Servio and expand your total storage capacity.
did you mean Shield's storage?

marks

Post by marks » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 am

Yes, to clarify I meant Shield's USB attached storage.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm
nateb wrote:
marks wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm
If HD Homerun Quattro (or Prime 6 when it comes out) for example and HD homerun DVR were to be setup on an NVIDIA Shield with an attached USB, then is it possible to move the data from the Shield to Scribe or Servio without much trouble or could we also we just move the DVR to the Servio and point it to the recorded data on the Shield USB? I assume only one HD HR DVR can run on a network?
Neither the scribe nor the servio will accept a USB drive. With that said, part of the point of the servio is to expand the number of DVR storage devices you own. That means if you got a Quatro now and used the Quatro's storage, you can also get a Scribe or Servio and expand your total storage capacity.
did you mean Shield's storage?
Whoops, yes. Brainfart. Will fix the original post.

msuckow

Post by msuckow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm

nateb wrote:
Neither the scribe nor the servio will accept a USB drive.
I understand the business decision to keep these devices as simple as possible, but that is a shame.
The main appeal to me of these new devices is that I would no longer need to keep a PC always on as my DVR. My PC has a couple of expansion USB drives, that would be orphaned if I switched to a Servio.

The alternative would be to buy a NAS and setup the DVR there, but I haven't been able to justify the cost yet.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm

msuckow wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm

I understand the business decision to keep these devices as simple as possible, but that is a shame.
The main appeal to me of these new devices is that I would no longer need to keep a PC always on as my DVR. My PC has a couple of expansion USB drives, that would be orphaned if I switched to a Servio.
I can understand why people might like to be able to plug in USB drives, but you're right, allowing for that really moves away from the goal of these products, which is to completely remove the sense of "DIY" necessary to get DVR setup. We want the whole process to feel so unbelievably easy that people feel comfortable letting their grandparents do it themselves.

I think you've got the right idea for your situation. If you want to connect some existing drives up to the network, some kind of NAS is the way to go. I've actually gone the super cheap route with that in the past and setup a Raspberry Pi as a barebones NAS and plugged in some drives to it. But that's going about as far DIY the other way as you can. :)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Also note that SCRIBE and SERVIO use hard drives rated for 24/7 video use.

Nick

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Are there any updates to these devices? End of March pre-orders were missed due to repackaging to not include PTV, but now we are in May and still no pre-orders.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:48 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:39 pm
Are there any updates to these devices? End of March pre-orders were missed due to repackaging to not include PTV, but now we are in May and still no pre-orders.
ANYONE?

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:25 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm
NYPlayer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 pm
What is the deal with these devices ? Is Silicondust ever going to deliver on CES announced devices ?
Yes. The marketing materials and packaging originally featured prominent references to the Premium TV service. With that being eliminated, work that had been completed months ago needed to be redone, and that introduced some brief delays. More to come soon.
jasonl, you made this statement over a month ago. Any new information?

Gewithers

Post by Gewithers » Tue May 07, 2019 3:28 pm

goofnroxx wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:32 am
I would think the majority of people only have one device anyway, just making the device more expensive for unused features.

I have 3 and I do not think I am in the minority.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Soon. Should have more info in the next couple weeks.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:25 am

nateb wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Soon. Should have more info in the next couple weeks.
Maybe you could list them on the website under products like you did with the Prime 6 and list it as coming soon. Since the CES announcement of these devices, there are no indication these devices are coming or even a thought. Customers who do not follow tech news or look in these forums might not know these are in the works. if you are "close" they should be marketed so they reach a broader audience or new customers looking for a DVR/Tuner solutions.

In January Comcast raised prices, some people may be just realizing it and getting tired of the costs and looking for solutions to their X1 and having these marketed early could pick up those new customers. Also would have been a great time to market the upcoming Prime 6.

These devices are brining it much closer for the less techy "geeks" to be able to setup and use (at least the DVR part) and therefor if SD wants to make large sales should be promoting these devices to the rest of the public and not just to techy people. Majority of the public do not even know this company exists and the capability of the hardware and the ones who have stumbled upon it were either word of mouth, or a few You Tube tech reviewers and cord cutter reviews, which was good since some solutions needed someone to be somewhat techy to make it work. A tuner and a Servio combined that plugs into a router with an APP download requiring no commands or other software downloads and configuring makes this easy for all.

Even a large company like Amazon and their OTA/DVR solution have not marketed their product very well because the majority of the public do not even know what that device does or exists. The prime 6 increases the potential of customers as they do not need to learn to setup an antenna and its set up with a phone call to their cable co. This is the time where SD could overwhelmingly dominate the market if marketed right and advertised properly.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 am

Based on what was said at CES, i would not expect the website to be updated until one month prior to shipping and opened up preorders at that time. They "learned" their lesson by doing such for the prime6.

Most likely there are two reasons why the prime6 is still listed. First, it has been up for "years" and to remove such now would seem it is being abandoned. 2nd, there is no "competing" prime tuner since the "current" prime isn't available.

Putting up the scribe and servio early only has the purpose of hurting sales of current hardware and dvr subscriptions (unless something significantly changed since ces that would change what is already"known" about the product... i.e. a data sheet would be "nice" to see but i don't expect such to say anything different than what has already been published so there is no hurry until one can actually order)

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 am

signcarver wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 am
Based on what was said at CES, i would not expect the website to be updated until one month prior to shipping and opened up preorders at that time. They "learned" their lesson by doing such for the prime6.

Most likely there are two reasons why the prime6 is still listed. First, it has been up for "years" and to remove such now would seem it is being abandoned. 2nd, there is no "competing" prime tuner since the "current" prime isn't available.

Putting up the scribe and servio early only has the purpose of hurting sales of current hardware and dvr subscriptions (unless something significantly changed since ces that would change what is already"known" about the product... i.e. a data sheet would be "nice" to see but i don't expect such to say anything different than what has already been published so there is no hurry until one can actually order)
Yes, but I would assume "we will know more within the next few weeks" to mean they will announce a pre-order date. Afterall, it has been said the main set back was the repackaging to not include PTV advertising and we are heading toward 2 months delay of preorder target time. unless that was a ruse.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 am

In the promotional email I received on May 10, it showed not only a Scribe Duo, but also a Scribe Quatro. In past posts it was stated the projected costs of the Scribe Duo and Servio at I believe was somewhere around $150 for Servio and $200 for Scribe Duo (I may be wrong and cant find where it was posted and if I am wrong please correct so I know). If that is the case and there is a Scribe Quatro, what would the projected price be for that device when it comes out?