Servio and Scribe

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Re: Servio and Scribe

Postby GetMatt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 am

He says the Premium Channels suit his needs, but his wife needs the Hallmark channel.
@GetMatt is using a separate subscription to “Hallmark Movies Now” ($5.99/mo or $59.99/yr) for his wife. Thanks for the tip Matt. https://www.hmnow.com/prices-membership
Thanks, Debbie, I will pass that message along.
It does not get you all the new stuff though. There is a mix of new and old shows and movies and it has stuff that is not on the channels.

GwoodCordCutter

Postby GwoodCordCutter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 am

I like the new Servio and Scribe offerings announcement. Is there a design target for the Servio as far as how many concurrent / simultaneous streams it will be designed to record and / or stream recorded content ?
It is limited to 4 up and 4 down at one time.
Does that mean a total of 8 streams at once (4 streams being recorded + 4 recordings being watched)?

or

streams being recorded + streams being watched = 4?

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Does that mean a total of 8 streams at once (4 streams being recorded + 4 recordings being watched)?
Yes

GwoodCordCutter

Postby GwoodCordCutter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am

Yes
Perfect!

One last question. Can someone who already owns HDHomeRun equipment just add a servio to their network to act as the record engine (and not use a PC, NAS or Scribe)? In other words, can it act like the Scribe, but just without the built in tuners?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am

Find that a strange question as that is exactly what the servio is... keep in mind anything related to SD's dvr implementation requires modern tuners (prime, expand, extend, connect, quatro duo) not the legacy tuners (3rd gen or prior, often commonly referred to as duals)

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

One last question. Can someone who already owns HDHomeRun equipment just add a servio to their network to act as the record engine (and not use a PC, NAS or Scribe)? In other words, can it act like the Scribe, but just without the built in tuners?
Yes... it can record from any (non legacy) HDHomeRun tuner.

It can also record from the SCRIBE tuners when the SCRIBE drive is full.

Nick

jazzy112

Postby jazzy112 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 pm

When I first started reading this I thought servio was just a mispelled term for one of the many so so media server platforms. After I looked into the market these devices are targeting, the original poster's idea makes perfect sense...sort of. I say put an 8 port Gig POE switch in the Servio and release a tuner that's POE powered for expansion. Cascading is never a good idea...not even in VoIP deployments. It's a method of last resort for a phone company to sell a hosted product with very little investment.

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

jnbooker19

Postby jnbooker19 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:48 am

Storage question, will the NAS side of the Scribe and the Storage in the Servio be usable without DVR service can you make it possible to configure third party software to record to the storage. I use NPVR and Cast4Me to manage the tuner pool, and would like to see this possibility.

Possible request for future Scribe hardware features:
Hw transcoding of tv channels on antenna tuners, or at lest the ability to have always active streams saved to storage for HLS and UDP streaming.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 pm

What is the deal with these devices ? Is Silicondust ever going to deliver on CES announced devices ?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Storage question, will the NAS side of the Scribe and the Storage in the Servio be usable without DVR service can you make it possible to configure third party software to record to the storage. I use NPVR and Cast4Me to manage the tuner pool, and would like to see this possibility.
This is a conversation we've been having. It would be nice to have our partners be able to work with these storage devices, but there's additional development effort there. Not sure where we'll end up there. May depend on demand for the feature.

As for transcoding, honestly, probably not. We're rapidly reaching the point where hard drives are cheaper than dedicated transcoding hardware. Never say never, but I'm not seeing that in the near future.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm

What is the deal with these devices ? Is Silicondust ever going to deliver on CES announced devices ?
Yes. The marketing materials and packaging originally featured prominent references to the Premium TV service. With that being eliminated, work that had been completed months ago needed to be redone, and that introduced some brief delays. More to come soon.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Yes. The marketing materials and packaging originally featured prominent references to the Premium TV service. With that being eliminated, work that had been completed months ago needed to be redone, and that introduced some brief delays. More to come soon.
Thanks Jason, that's the kind of info we ask for when we ask for updates. Truthful information saying yes it's on target, or no slightly or overly delayed.

MNacke

Postby MNacke » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 am

So what is the date we can start ordering then?

marks

Postby marks » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm

I am trying to learn a bit more to make some suggestions to other family about HD Homerun etc.

If HD Homerun Quattro (or Prime 6 when it comes out) for example and HD homerun DVR were to be setup on an NVIDIA Shield with an attached USB, then is it possible to move the data from the Shield to Scribe or Servio without much trouble or could we also we just move the DVR to the Servio and point it to the recorded data on the Shield USB? I assume only one HD HR DVR can run on a network?

Also, if you can give an estimate when Scribe and Servio are coming out it may help which direction we go in. If they are like a month away it might be better just to wait for Scribe/Servio and just use the Nvidia Shield as a client instead of attaching a USB.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm

If HD Homerun Quattro (or Prime 6 when it comes out) for example and HD homerun DVR were to be setup on an NVIDIA Shield with an attached USB, then is it possible to move the data from the Shield to Scribe or Servio without much trouble or could we also we just move the DVR to the Servio and point it to the recorded data on the Shield USB? I assume only one HD HR DVR can run on a network?
Neither the scribe nor the servio will accept a USB drive. With that said, part of the point of the servio is to expand the number of DVR storage devices you own. That means if you got a Quatro now and used the Shield's storage, you can also get a Scribe or Servio and expand your total storage capacity.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”