Servio and Scribe

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Servio and Scribe

Postby nateb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:34 pm

No SMB does that mean you cannot move the recordings or copy them?
Maybe that will be the answer to DRM... sigh
It kind of makes sense, they will have their own hardware that you may not be able to copy or move off it, only delete or record. Makes a perfect environment for recording DRM using their own software on protected content. It's not the perfect solution we would be hoping for, but if it's the only way i'm sure many would embrace it.
Just for clarity, it's possible to record DRM right now. The issue is playing it back. So in theory anyone could take a DRM recording, move it all over the place, and just go crazy with it, so long as they had a way to unlock it.

The bigger issue with SMB isn't DRMed file lock down. It's that SMB is a nightmare in a can, uses different protocols depending on the platform trying to access the server, and is generally the worst. If you think development is slow now, it would virtually be moving in reverse if we also had to support SMB on a server.

We have looked at other ways to access and alter those files, like possibly an ftp server or simply uploading and downloading via http. But as said before, we're still a bit early on the software side to be able to say how that is going to work.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Maybe that will be the answer to DRM... sigh
It kind of makes sense, they will have their own hardware that you may not be able to copy or move off it, only delete or record. Makes a perfect environment for recording DRM using their own software on protected content. It's not the perfect solution we would be hoping for, but if it's the only way i'm sure many would embrace it.
Just for clarity, it's possible to record DRM right now. The issue is playing it back. So in theory anyone could take a DRM recording, move it all over the place, and just go crazy with it, so long as they had a way to unlock it.

The bigger issue with SMB isn't DRMed file lock down. It's that SMB is a nightmare in a can, uses different protocols depending on the platform trying to access the server, and is generally the worst. If you think development is slow now, it would virtually be moving in reverse if we also had to support SMB on a server.
We have looked at other ways to access and alter those files, like possibly an ftp server or simply uploading and downloading via http. But as said before, we're still a bit early on the software side to be able to say how that is going to work.
Ok, Thought I was onto something there. and not to put any bugs in your ear, but it would be a great way to boost Servio sales. a lockdowned system, wouldn't cablelabs love that? Record non DRM anywhere, but DRM only on your hardware with advanced rules built into the DVR. The Servios would sell like hotcakes. and hey, if it passes it through cablelabs certification even quicker, that's a plus for all

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm

You can move/copy recordings via http.

Nick

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 am

You can move/copy recordings via http.

Nick
Will you be able to modify them and write them back?

Gary

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 am

That was one of the things they said they had to work on... the only way i think they can make such easy for users is a file upload webpage on the device... if worse came to worse, move it to a storage only engine though at this time such usually would cause things to rerecord unless the move off of the device has similar options as delete.

I find downloads much easier to write scripts/apps for than uploads and would prefer ftp be available.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 pm

I don’t think anyone who plans on moving/modifying recordings around is the target audience for these devices. Though it would be a nice feature to have.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 pm

I don’t think anyone who plans on moving/modifying recordings around is the target audience for these devices. Though it would be a nice feature to have.
Unless.. one day these devices are all that is supported/available. :o

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:44 pm

I showed a prospective cord shaver my setup a couple of days ago, and I could see the bewilderment in his eyes. I tried to explain how the "engine" works, using a NAS or a computer that is always on. I showed him the HDHR app AND the Emby TV app, running on my Nvidia Shield. He did like the "slice" guide. He is not totally technology deficient, because he has an HTPC running Windows Media Center, but I am not sure he ever used it. I think he said he has an internal tuner in that computer. Perhaps someone set it up for him, but he never used it.

When I showed him the Premium Channels, his eyes brightened, especially when I showed him the new Scribe. He likes the all-in-one DVR solution, but not the convoluted method of using an external device for the DVR engine.

He says the Premium Channels suit his needs, but his wife needs the Hallmark channel.

GwoodCordCutter

Postby GwoodCordCutter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 am

I was wondering if the HDHomeRun Servio will be able to replace the PC I am currently using as my DVR engine. I don't need any additional tuners, but I would like to free my PC and just use a servio for DVR storage. Is it possible?

What is the limit on the number of shows that can be recorded and/or played back at once?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm

That is the idea for many... according to various interviews the plan is supporting 4 in/4 out... I do not know if that is set in stone (limited) or if that is what/all they expect from the device but it may try "more"... it has been a long time since I tested 2.5" drives for such storage and don't know if that is a potential limitation of them (and/or the controller of the box... I don't think soc/cpu was mentioned, I haven't even heard the speed of the ethernet port in various interviews... for just 4 in/4 out 100 may be all that is required (even the prime 6 is going to have only 100) but I feel there may need to be other things going on... i.e. how are they expecting 2 such devices to handle 8 streams (currently the 2 engines would each record (duplicate) the first 4 things scheduled ) but one thing it sounded like in one interview was that one would be primarily storage only and may only record if the other reached its limit of 4... I am kind of surprised there wasn't a usb port on at least the servio as that would have been another way for expansion/moving files but it may be they felt they would have taken heat if it was usb 2 only as that is what the SOC allows as noone wants to move files over usb 2.

Currently it is not known how one would be expected to transfer things onto the scribe/servio, though it sounds like they have an http api to easily transfer things off, but even the first reports indicated such was being worked on for one to "move" their existing setup to the scribe/servio so they don't have an always on PC

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 pm

He says the Premium Channels suit his needs, but his wife needs the Hallmark channel.
That is basically where I am at. Spectrum is about to jack up our cable price so for the moment we are going to internet only and cancelling cable.

The only thing staving off my wife’s desire for Hallmark is a Hallmark Movies Now subscription. We’ll see how long that lasts. Hopefully it’s fixed soon and all is well.

jbinkley60

Postby jbinkley60 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:54 pm

I like the new Servio and Scribe offerings announcement. Is there a design target for the Servio as far as how many concurrent / simultaneous streams it will be designed to record and / or stream recorded content ?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 pm

I like the new Servio and Scribe offerings announcement. Is there a design target for the Servio as far as how many concurrent / simultaneous streams it will be designed to record and / or stream recorded content ?
It is limited to 4 up and 4 down at one time.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Postby DebbieFL33 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pm

@GetMatt is using a separate subscription to “Hallmark Movies Now” ($5.99/mo or $59.99/yr) for his wife. Thanks for the tip Matt. https://www.hmnow.com/prices-membership

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:41 am

@GetMatt is using a separate subscription to “Hallmark Movies Now” ($5.99/mo or $59.99/yr) for his wife. Thanks for the tip Matt. https://www.hmnow.com/prices-membership
Thanks, Debbie, I will pass that message along.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”