ces 2019

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Re: ces 2019

Postby RockandRoller70 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Do the math create a 6 Tuner Cable card tuner one time charge of 199 or Premium TV $25 dollars a month for as long as you subscribe plus the purchase of a Quatro.
Exactly. And rather than admit they're not going to deliver on their promises, they're stringing us along forever and hope people just eventually stop asking and go away.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:49 pm

i was disappointed that the first news from SD out of CES was about yet another piece of hardware - other than the HDHomeRun 6
The reasons behind the Prime 6's delay are what they are (I can't go into details, but you all already know that), but it has no bearing on other products. None of us want to delay a product for no reason. We all want the Prime 6. That being said, you can't expect them to delay every other product in the pipeline just because the Prime 6 isn't out yet.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Do the math create a 6 Tuner Cable card tuner one time charge of 199 or Premium TV $25 dollars a month for as long as you subscribe plus the purchase of a Quatro.
Exactly. And rather than admit they're not going to deliver on their promises, they're stringing us along forever and hope people just eventually stop asking and go away.
Think about it. No one would reasonably believe that cable TV users would buy an additional Premium TV subscriptions just because they don't have a new HDHomeRun Prime. They would just go and get a competing cableCARD product. SiliconDust would only loose money from that situation. Your theory doesn't make any sense.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Think about it. No one would reasonably believe that cable TV users would buy an additional Premium TV subscriptions just because they don't have a new HDHomeRun Prime. They would just go and get a competing cableCARD product. SiliconDust would only loose money from that situation. Your theory doesn't make any sense.
What doesn't make sense is that Silicondust cannot come out and state what is the holdup on the Prime6 … all we get is lame excuses. Can't we just get an honest answer so that we can make informed decisions. I have invested as you can see by the amount of devices I own … a lot into silicondust .. but right now if my Primes die I am SOL... as I do not know when Primes will be available or if they ever will be availible.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 pm

i was disappointed that the first news from SD out of CES was about yet another piece of hardware - other than the HDHomeRun 6
The reasons behind the Prime 6's delay are what they are (I can't go into details, but you all already know that), but it has no bearing on other products. None of us want to delay a product for no reason. We all want the Prime 6. That being said, you can't expect them to delay every other product in the pipeline just because the Prime 6 isn't out yet.
Previous statements from SiliconDust have been that DRM recording will be released with the Prime 6. Is that not an example of a product being delayed because of another unreleased product?

Or is there some other reason for the delay of DRM recording, which statements from SiliconDust employees on this forum have indicated that DRM recording is ready and only waiting on the Prime 6 for release?

Fin745

Postby Fin745 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:08 pm

There isn't any " competing cableCARD product" Ceton went under and the only other one is the WinTV-DCR-3250 and that's just one of your re-certified units, most likely you get kick back from Hauppauge when those are sold.

You're the last of the PC based cablecard products, other then T i v o which based on my setup isn't a choice.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:50 am

There isn't any " competing cableCARD product" Ceton went under and the only other one is the WinTV-DCR-3250 and that's just one of your re-certified units, most likely you get kick back from Hauppauge when those are sold.

You're the last of the PC based cablecard products, other then T i v o which based on my setup isn't a choice.
and T1VO is working with XFINITY on IPTV.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:13 am

Not sure if this has already been posted: https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... n-prime-6/
You’re also anxious for it because they announced last year that it would be released in 2018. There are three main reasons they weren’t able to release it last year. The first was their focus on releasing the HDHomeRun Premium TV service. The other two reasons are the two new products we wrote about earlier.
It'll really start stinking if there are more delays and no more older units available. Wonder if the rush to get out new services before this 'challenge' was solved was a good move or not. Time will literally tell if that's the case.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 am

As pointed out above, there are no competing cable card products. And the only reason I can figure that SD continues to string us along is because as soon as they announce they won't be delivering recordable DRM, a bunch of people are going to totally bail on the product once and for all and others will request refunds. So, rather than deal with that they keep this mirage of false promises up to push the inevitable down the road. I'm sure there when they make the announcement, it will be coupled with a promotional discount to push people to Premium TV. They're probably waiting until the product is mature enough to make it a viable solution.

At this point, there is simply no justifiable excuse for the total lack of information. It's shows an incredible lack of respect and appreciation for the people that have spent money on their product and have dedicated their time and effort to assisting with it's development.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:20 am

You’re also anxious for it because they announced last year that it would be released in 2018. There are three main reasons they weren’t able to release it last year. The first was their focus on releasing the HDHomeRun Premium TV service. The other two reasons are the two new products we wrote about earlier.
It's clear what happening here. They keep getting caught with their pants down. First it was the various IPTV offerings that forced them to drop everything and develop PremiumTV. Then it was the Amazon TV devices that made them develop the Servio and Scribe while stopping work on the Prime 6.

In the meantime, they are dishonest with their user base because they're not honoring their existing commitments and not acknowledging the truth.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:44 am

Not sure if this has already been posted: https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... n-prime-6/
It'll really start stinking if there are more delays and no more older units available. Wonder if the rush to get out new services before this 'challenge' was solved was a good move or not. Time will literally tell if that's the case.
Yeah, I stopped promoting SD services and products to friends and family for this very reason. They focused on those other services and products instead of delivering on a product they had already announced. Most people I have promoted it to in the past and would have promoted it to recently would have gone the cable card route.. and well if they can't get any of the devices then why promote it?

If they want to cater more to getting new customers as opposed to keeping their base customers, then so be it.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am

I can't fault SD for entering new products into the market but if this article is accurate, I do find fault for leaving those of us Kickstarters a bit more behind than we should be. Should Cable Labs move slower than normal, I may be out of the cable card tuners entirely by the end of this year. Would be a pity.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:05 am

Should Cable Labs move slower than normal, I may be out of the cable card tuners entirely by the end of this year. Would be a pity.
It says they haven't even submitted to Cable Labs. I think no product in the pipeline and no urgency to have any pretty much shows their hand.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:09 am

Like I constantly have stated there is no urgency for a Prime 6 as long as they think Premium TV will succeed.... losing those channels was a major hit to them so I am sure their priority is getting those channels back not a Prime 6.

Sorahl

Postby Sorahl » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:31 am

and this is what keeps me holding on... :)

Return to “Future Product Discussion”